E Is For Evidence by Sue Grafton

E Is For Evidence

by Sue Grafton

Series: Kinsey Millhone (5), The Alphabet Mysteries (book 5)

English (34)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (36)
I've liked the plots of the previous books but I feel like this particular book had more depth and interest to it. I also found myself liking the main character a little more. ( )
  lemotamant898 | Jan 18, 2016 |
Kinsey Millhone insurance investigator good light reading. LA setting - @ fire claim

While private detective and former cop Kinsey Millhone is investigating a possible case of industrial arson involving a company owned by the family of a former schoolmate, someone tries to make it look as if she's on the take. A mysterious $5000 appears in her bank account. She sets out to clear herself, while two or possibly more cases of murder occur, including one by bombing. A Christmas spent alone and the reappearance of her second ex-husband, Daniel, who had deserted her, add to Kinsey's depression.
  christinejoseph | Dec 24, 2015 |
E is for Evidence by Sue Grafton is a 2005 publication.

I am obviously very behind in this series, but one of my new year’s resolutions is to catch all the way up with at least one series, and this one gets first choice.

By now, Kinsey is quite well known amongst mystery readers, most of whom agree she paved the way for many more heroines in this genre with her wit, grit, and sassy determination. With the storyline set back in the 1980’s, there is a little nostalgia involved too, plus our favorite PI must solve crimes the old fashioned way without the benefit of the internet, smart phones, or countless other technological wonders we take for granted today.

This installment gives the reader a closer glimpse at Kinsey as a person, clues us in on some information about Kinsey’s past, including one of her ex-husbands. Kinsey discovers she is being framed for insurance fraud, so this investigation has a very personal feel to it, this time around.

I enjoyed the book, and the personal insights into Kinsey’s character, and the mystery was solid enough. This wasn’t my favorite book in the series, but it was still enjoyable and quite entertaining. These books are very easy to read, most of them are not very long, but are action packed and filled with smart banter, humor and dry wit. Kinsey is a great character, which is why I am giving this series top priority in 2016.

I’m ready for F is for Fugitive which I hope to squeeze in by the end of January. Overall 3.5 stars ( )
  gpangel | Dec 23, 2015 |
Kinsey Millhone is a private investigator. Its Christmas time but Kinsey has other problems $5000 deposited to her account but not hers. An investigation on a fire at a company near san teresa. She has her ex husband Daniel also hanging around with Henry her landlord gone. The fire was at a company ownedby the family of a high school friend. She meets up with Ashley and learns some issues but it is Ashley 's mother that wants info. Kinsey is being looked at for insurance fraud causing lots of issues. Olive, Ashley's sister, meets with Kinsey and invites her to a party. Kinsey goes to help but an explosion occurs causing death. Kinsey continues to investigate with Darcy from the insurance company. Lots of suspects but in the end it goes back to the family and Ashley's mother to clear up the investigation. ( )
  Hanneri | Nov 24, 2015 |
I actually liked this one better than some of the other Kinsey Millhone mysteries I've read. I found the character to be a little less abrasive in this book. Short, sweet, to the point and though I flashed on the identity of the murderer early on, I had no idea what the motivations were. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 19, 2014 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eräpuro, AnnikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my two mothers,
past and present:
Viv and Lillian
It was Monday, December 27 and I was sitting in my office, trying to get a fix on the mood I was in, which was bad, bad, bad.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939035, Mass Market Paperback)

Being a twice-divorced, happily independent loner has worked like a charm for P.I. Kinsey Millhone—until holiday weekends like this one roll around. What she needs is a little diversion to ward off the blues. She gets her much-needed distraction with a case that places her career on the line. And if that isn’t enough to keep her busy, her ex-husband, who walked out on her eight years ago, pops back on the radar...

It all begins with a $5,000 deposit made into Kinsey’s bank account. Problem is she’s not the one who deposited the money. But when she’s accused of being on the take in an industrial arson case, Kinsey realizes someone is framing her…

Now Kinsey’s working for herself. But with new evidence—and corpses—surfacing around her, she’s going to have to act quickly to clear her name before she loses her career, her reputation—and quite possibly her life…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

It was the silly season and a Monday at that, and Kinsey Millhone was bogged down in a preliminary report on a fire claim. Something was nagging at her, but she couldn't pin it. The last thing she needed in the morning mail was a letter from her bank recording an erroneous $5,000 deposit in her account. Kinsey had never believed in Santa Claus and she wasn't about to change her mind now. Resigning herself to a morning of frustration, she phoned the bank and, assaulted by canned carols, waited on hold for an officer to clear up the snafu. It was with something less than Christmas cheer that Kinsey faced off only minutes later with California Fidelity's Mac Voorhies. Voorhies was smart, humorless, stingy with praise, and totally fair. He was frowning now. "I got a phone call this morning." he said, his frown deepening. "Somebody says you're on the take." Suddenly the $5,000 deposit clicked into place. It wasn't a mistake. It was a setup. "E" is for evidence: evidence planted, evidence lost. "E" is for ex-lovers and evasions, enemies and endings. For Kinsey, "E" is for everything she stands to lose if she can't exonerate herself: her license, her livelihood, her good name. And so she takes on a new client: namely, Kinsey Millhone, thirty-two and twice-divorced, ex-cop and wisecracking loner, a California private investigator with a penchant for lost causes--one of which, it is to be hoped, is not herself. As Kinsey begins to unravel the frame-up, she finds that her future is intimately tied to one family's past and to the explosive secret it has protected for almost twenty years. Digging deeper, she discovers that probing the past can have lethal consequences as she follows a trail of murder that leads to her own front door. And in what may well be her most challenging case, Kinsey comes up against the fact that sometimes, "E" is forever.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 728 books! | Top bar: Always visible