E is for Evidence by Sue Grafton

E is for Evidence

by Sue Grafton (Author)

Series: The Alphabet Mysteries (5)

English (30)  Spanish (1)  All languages (31)
I actually liked this one better than some of the other Kinsey Millhone mysteries I've read. I found the character to be a little less abrasive in this book. Short, sweet, to the point and though I flashed on the identity of the murderer early on, I had no idea what the motivations were. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 19, 2014 |
This book gives us a lot of insight into Kinsey as well as a good mystery. We find out quite a bit of background on her ex-husband and their marriage which makes Kinsey an even more well-rounded character than she already was. The people involved in the mystery are people she's known for years and again, we see her as a person with history. She's not nearly so dismissive of the social aspects of life, in fact, she wishes she was part of some of them! Nice character development.

This story centers around a warehouse fire and the warehouse happens to be owned by the family of some of Kinsey's childhood friends. Kinsey is asked by the insurance company she works for to investigate the fire. Having $5000 show up in her account that she didn't deposit complicates the matter for sure.

I wasn't expecting some of the twists and that's always good. As always, I like the explanation of day-to-day aspects of the PI trade. An excellent entry in this series! ( )
  Mrsbaty | Jan 15, 2014 |
*sigh* If I wasn't reading this with a friend I would have stopped after the first two books, and yet here I am still dragging myself through these books. It's not even that these books are bad per say, they are just boring and one-note mysteries. Which is fine if that's what you like they just aren't for me.

The case itself is a small spark of interest in an otherwise humdrum book. The idea of setting up Kinsey and making her a suspect is an interesting one. There was even a small amount of danger that I haven't felt in these books before, particularly after Kinsey gets blown up. Even the the main "villain" of the story was interesting and I didn't manage to guess it until the end.

My main problem has always been with Kinsey herself. I find her pretty unpleasant and off-putting a lot of the time. Why does she feel the need to sexualize every single man she meets? I think it's meant to come across as "ooh sexy!" or "Look at how naughty she is!" but mostly its just weird and off-putting and totally creepy. Also, her whole deal with her ex-husband in this book was also weird. I mean I understand being hurt by those you love, but come on now. Also, his being gay (bisexual?) came out of nowhere and didn't have anything at all to do with the plot. Why even include him? Ugh....whatever.

Overall, another yawn of a book with maybe a slightly more interesting plot. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Jan 3, 2014 |
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |
Pretty good. Listened to the audiobook version. ( )
  Barb_H | Apr 3, 2013 |

Grafton, SueAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eräpuro, AnnikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my two mothers,
past and present:
Viv and Lillian
It was Monday, December 27 and I was sitting in my office, trying to get a fix on the mood I was in, which was bad, bad, bad.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939035, Mass Market Paperback)

Being a twice-divorced, happily independent loner has worked like a charm for P.I. Kinsey Millhone—until holiday weekends like this one roll around. What she needs is a little diversion to ward off the blues. She gets her much-needed distraction with a case that places her career on the line. And if that isn’t enough to keep her busy, her ex-husband, who walked out on her eight years ago, pops back on the radar...

It all begins with a $5,000 deposit made into Kinsey’s bank account. Problem is she’s not the one who deposited the money. But when she’s accused of being on the take in an industrial arson case, Kinsey realizes someone is framing her…

Now Kinsey’s working for herself. But with new evidence—and corpses—surfacing around her, she’s going to have to act quickly to clear her name before she loses her career, her reputation—and quite possibly her life…

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:29 -0400)

It was the silly season and a Monday at that, and Kinsey Millhone was bogged down in a preliminary report on a fire claim. Something was nagging at her, but she couldn't pin it. The last thing she needed in the morning mail was a letter from her bank recording an erroneous $5,000 deposit in her account. Kinsey had never believed in Santa Claus and she wasn't about to change her mind now. Resigning herself to a morning of frustration, she phoned the bank and, assaulted by canned carols, waited on hold for an officer to clear up the snafu. It was with something less than Christmas cheer that Kinsey faced off only minutes later with California Fidelity's Mac Voorhies. Voorhies was smart, humorless, stingy with praise, and totally fair. He was frowning now. "I got a phone call this morning." he said, his frown deepening. "Somebody says you're on the take." Suddenly the $5,000 deposit clicked into place. It wasn't a mistake. It was a setup. "E" is for evidence: evidence planted, evidence lost. "E" is for ex-lovers and evasions, enemies and endings. For Kinsey, "E" is for everything she stands to lose if she can't exonerate herself: her license, her livelihood, her good name. And so she takes on a new client: namely, Kinsey Millhone, thirty-two and twice-divorced, ex-cop and wisecracking loner, a California private investigator with a penchant for lost causes--one of which, it is to be hoped, is not herself. As Kinsey begins to unravel the frame-up, she finds that her future is intimately tied to one family's past and to the explosive secret it has protected for almost twenty years. Digging deeper, she discovers that probing the past can have lethal consequences as she follows a trail of murder that leads to her own front door. And in what may well be her most challenging case, Kinsey comes up against the fact that sometimes, "E" is forever.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,411,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible