Footsteps in the Dark by Georgette Heyer

Footsteps in the Dark (1932)

by Georgette Heyer

"Locals claim it is haunted and refuse to put a single toe past the front door, but to siblings Peter, Celia, and Margaret, the Priory is nothing more than a rundown estate inherited from their late uncle-and the perfect setting for a much-needed holiday. But when a murder victim is discovered in the drafty Priory halls, the once unconcerned trio begins to fear that the ghostly rumors are true and they are not alone after all! With a killer on the loose, will they find themselves the next victims of a supernatural predator, or will they uncover a far more corporeal culprit?"-- Cover verso.… (more)

English (35)  Piratical (1)  All languages (36)
This is a great classic-style mystery novel. It's very reminiscent of Nancy Drew but with adults at the center of the plot. And with the creepy goings-on at a dark, mysterious mansion, it's also much like a precursor for Scooby-Doo. I like the mysterious atmosphere and thought it was well played out. The characters were likable and the mystery was plausible for the most part. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
I have an insatiable appetite for vintage mysteries. When you read a lot of books from the same genre you will, of course, find a lot of average to bad works among its ranks. From my previous encounters with Heyer's detective fiction, I know her books are not that great. I remember hating They Found Him Dead and finding Detection Unlimited likable. Footsteps in the Dark is, mercifully, no They Found Him Dead but I still think Heyer's mysteries are full of weak characters and plot holes. There are a few thrilling moments but about halfway through the book, it becomes obvious who the culprit is. On the bright side, the female characters are more or less well-written. Only one of them annoyed me with her constant whining. The main male characters all blended together after a while, with no one standing out from the others. Overall, Footsteps in the Dark is not insufferable. It is enjoyable in parts but my experience with Heyer's mysteries remains the same. Weak mysteries with some good patches. ( )
  Porua | Sep 18, 2018 |
One of the better Heyer mysteries I've read. I figured out one of the twists pretty early on, but it was neat to see how she got there, and the story kept me well engaged throughout. A good read. ( )
  JBD1 | May 29, 2018 |
3.5 stars

The banter in this one is great. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
Footsteps in the Dark by Georgette Heyer is a highly enjoyable mystery that is more than half a ghost story. The requisite murder doesn't happen till more than halfway through, but there's plenty going on before you reach that point. Having inherited an ancient English house complete with secret passages, priest holes, a crypt, and even a skeleton, Charles and Celia (married couple) and Celia's brother Peter and sister Margaret are eager to move in. They refuse to be scared away by the local tales of the ghost Monk reputed to haunt the place, but then they start hearing the unearthly groans, finding skeletons about the place, and even seeing the terrifying apparition for themselves. It's more than a bit creepy.

Unlike several of Heyer's other mysteries, this one has a cast of likeable characters. She writes so deftly, you instantly get a sense for each person and how they will relate to one another. Even the aunt, Mrs. Bosanquet, could have been annoying but instead comes across as serenely (and unintentionally) funny. The warm family tone of the story does clue you in a bit early that a suspicious person whom Margaret likes must be a good guy after all, since it's predictable that they'll fall in love. But it's still fun to see it happen.

Footsteps in the Dark isn't set in the season of fall, but it's a perfect ghost story/mystery to curl up with when the nights get chilly. I enjoyed it so much I immediately picked up another Heyer mystery. You can't read just one... ( )
1 vote atimco | Oct 16, 2017 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Winger, IlseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'And I suppose this is the approach-course,' said Charles Malcolm.

Locals claim The Prior is haunted and refuse to put a single toe past the front door. Left empty for years, and even their deceased uncle chose to live in a different house, far away from this particular property. But the ramshackle old house, with its rambling charm is the perfect setting for a much-needed holiday for siblings Peter, Celia and Margaret, who have inherited it from their uncle. It wasn't the lack of modern conveniences that made a summer spent at the ancient priory mansion such an unsettling experience. It was the supposed ghost... or whatever was groaning in the cellars and roaming the countryside around Framley Village after dark.

But when a murder victim is discovered in the drafty Priory halls, the once unconcerned trio begins to fear that the ghostly rumors are true and they are not alone after all! But traditionally ghosts don't commit murder. And in this case, the things which go bump in the night are deadly. With a killer on the loose, will they find themselves the next victims or will they uncover the true in time? Does the key to the crime lie in the realm of the supernaturalr? Or is the explanation much more down to earth with a more corporeal culpritl of flesh and blood?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,615,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible