Frederica by Georgette Heyer

Frederica (original 1965; edition 2004)

by Georgette Heyer

1,582514,615 ()2 / 251
Member:librogurl
Title:Frederica
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:ARROW (RAND) (2004), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 380 pages
Collections:Your library, What's Jean read?

Frederica by Georgette Heyer (1965)

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer (shoujo85)
    Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer (shoujo85)
    The End of the World by D. W. Wilkin (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Written in the style of Heyer

English (49)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (51)
I've heard so many good things about Georgette Heyer from so many people who share my tastes in books that I don't know why I put off reading her for so long. I suppose my consolation is that I now have a large trove of books to delight me, as I expect I will be making my way through a number of her other historical romances in the years ahead.

I listened to Frederica as an audiobook, and I think perhaps it was even more enjoyable than reading it might have been. There are so many wonderful bits of humor, so many excellent little descriptions and insights into character, not to mention the many historical references, that I am glad to have had the chance to savor them at the slightly slower pace of an audio book.

[Total tangent: Harry Potter has ruined the name Vernon for me. I had to strain my imagination mightily to pretend Lord Alverstoke had a different first name every time it was mentioned}

All in all I found Frederica wonderfully entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable, and I am very very eager to read more of Heyer's work! ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
One of my favourite Georgette Heyer books - audiobook version is fantastic! ( )
  FrancesPope | Sep 15, 2014 |
Reread - IMO one of the better Heyers. As is true of all of her books it opens up a window of the views of society and gender relations that were dominant among / acceptable to her reading public as, or more, than than it illuminates social and gender relations in Regency England. Mercifully the plot does not require the reader to buy into the idea that bullying from the right man is the key to winning a woman's heart. ( )
  mmyoung | Aug 31, 2014 |
"Frederica" is the story of Frederica Merriville, the eldest sister in a family who has lost both of their parents, and Vernon, the Marquis of Alverstoke, a selfish, hedonistic man who does everything he can to vex his family. Twenty-four year old Frederica has used a great deal of her savings to come to London in order to present her lovely yet vapid sister, Charis, to society, in the hopes of her making a good marriage. In order to do this, she enlists the help of Alverstoke, who is a distant relative. He agrees to do it in order to vex his sisters who have been begging him to put on a ball for their daughters, thinking that his connection with the Merivilles will be severed after the ball. But it is not so easy! Felix Merriville, the youngest and a merry and inquisitive child, begins to see Alverstoke as a sort of father-figure, and much to Alverstoke's suprise, has Alverstoke agree to escort him to all sorts of places around London. Alverstoke also finds himself involved in the life of sixteen-year-old Jessamy, who he also saves from trouble. Always having seen himself as not caring about other people, Alverstoke is shocked as he begins to realize how much he cares for the younger Merrivilles, but even more, for their eldest sister, Frederica...

This is a charming book! Alverstoke is a brilliant and amusing character, and it is very amusing to see the change in him from the beginning to when he falls in love with Frederica. Felix is a charming child, and his near-tragedy at the end had me riveted and worried (I had to read ahead!). But most of all, the reader has to love Frederica, the selfless girl who thinks more of family than herself, and who doesn't realize she's in love until the very last moment...

A wonderful story! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
One of my favorite Heyer novels. The book is a little heavy with the antics of Felix and Jessamy, and a little light on Frederica, Charis, and the other girls in the family looking for husbands, but still very enjoyable.
  CarriePalmer | May 2, 2014 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norgate, CliffordNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not more than five days after she had despatched an urgent missive to her brother, the Most Honourable the Marquis of Alverstoke, requesting him to visit her at his earliest convenience, the widowed Lady Buxted was relieved to learn from her youngest daughter that Uncle Vernon had just driven up to the house, wearing a coat with dozens of capes, and looking fine as fivepence.

When Frederica brings her younger siblings to London determined to secure a brilliant marriage for her beautiful sister, she seeks out their distant cousin, the Marquis of Alverstoke. Lovely, competent and refreshingly straightforward, she makes such a strong impression that the Marquis agrees to help launch them all into society. Normally wary of his family, Lord Alverstoke does his best to keep his distance. But with his enterprising country cousins underfoot, before he knows it the Marquis finds himself dangerously embroiled.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,673,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible