Frederica by Georgette Heyer

Frederica (original 1965; edition 2004)

by Georgette Heyer

1,754654,023 (4.16)2 / 307
Member:librogurl
Title:Frederica
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:ARROW (RAND) (2004), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 380 pages
Collections:Your library, What's Jean read?

Frederica by Georgette Heyer (1965)

Recently added byprivate library, Likeitorlumpit, ChristinaT., MrsRK, Sueellenau, Eowyn1, MotoNeNe, Aneris

English (63)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  English (65)
Another favorite of Heyer's for me. What I liked about it was the whole idea of a family as a whole being on one side of a romance, sort of like a package deal. I fell in love with the Merriville family. As always, Heyer's wit is just so prevalent. Especially in the exchanges between young Felix and the Marquis of Alverstoke the cynical, bored, nobleman. Alverstoke really grows on you as the book progresses. Frederica, oddly enough, is not my favorite Heyer heroine, but she is still a plucky and bright girl. I've tried reading similar regency authors, some are good, but I keep coming back to Heyer as she, only eclipsed by Jane Austen, is the ideal author for this genre in my opinion. ( )
  Likeitorlumpit | Dec 3, 2016 |
While I can't stand Nora Roberts--what a poor writer!--I love all Regency books by Mrs. Heyer. Frederica is one of my favorites. If you like Jane Austen you will love Georgette Heyer. Her sense of humor is priceless and her characters are endearing. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
After Faro's Daughter and April Lady, I realized that my (personal) issue with Heyer's characters is that I want them to be more passionate. Well, I certainly got that here and not in the way I expected. The whole Merriville family is lively, each member with a distinct voice. The dog too.

All Frederica Merriville wants is to marry her beautiful, albeit not very smart, younger sister. She wants her to be happy and she knows she deserves it. They come to London with their aunt (not very important character), a twelve-year-old Felix and sixteen-year-old Jessamy, and their huge dog Lufra.
Being bored out of his mind, Lord Alverstoke agrees to introduce them to the ton. Soon he realizes that there is nothing boring, ordinary or deceitful about the Merrivilles.
I get bored with Heyer's descriptions of clothes, but here they are balanced with the craziness the Merrivilles bring into Lord Alverstoke's life. Even if he is described as selfish, cynical and overall not very pleasant person, he is never dishonest with Frederica. She knows his reasons for helping them from the start.
What Lord Alverstoke didn't expect is that they would completely change him without even trying. After so many grabby siblings and cousins, he was unprepared for the family that only needs an introduction to the society, nothing more. The way the boys capture his heart is lovely. “The Marquis believed himself to be hardened against flattery. He thought that he had experienced every variety, but he discovered that he was mistaken: the blatantly worshipful look in the eyes of a twelve-year-old, anxiously raised to his, was new to him, and it pierced his defences.” Anyway, the changes in both Frederica and the Marquis happen gradually and slowly (but not painfully slow). Not even Alverstoke realizes what's happening at first, but others do. “Then Frederica went towards him, holding out her hand, and he raised his eyes from Felix’s eager countenance, and smiled at her, causing Mr. Moreton to suffer a shock. It was not at all the sort of smile with which his lordship beguiled his flirts, but something warmer and more intimate. 'Good God!' mentally ejaculated Mr. Moreton. 'Sits the wind in that quarter?'” There are other characters that make this story worth reading. Some are horrible (one of Alverstoke's sisters and a hypochondriac cousin), others wonderful (his secretary, the third sister, Chloe and so on), some funny (Endymion) and that's only the ones that have greater roles here. There are many others the Merrivilles encounter throughout the story.

Nitpicks: it annoyed me that Alverstoke called Frederica 'my child' and that they didn't get more time together. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
Fun fluff. Frederica is too focused on her family (sister and brothers) to pay attention to her own needs; Alverstoke is, he would assure you, completely selfish and uninterested in other people. But he crosses her path due to a "simple" request for help, and things develop from there...the HEA is perfectly reasonable, given the events described. I like both of them. Also like Charles, particularly near the end, and wish him well in his courtship. I wish we could see more of him, and of Felix in a few years. Maybe Jessamy too, though he's a bit of a pain - not entirely, but off and on through the book. There are an assortment of silly people, as always in a Heyer, but they're not the protagonists, and most of them are presented as entirely to be laughed at (Alverstoke's sisters, for two). Definitely worth reading, possibly worth rereading. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 26, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Norgate, CliffordNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not more than five days after she had despatched an urgent missive to her brother, the Most Honourable the Marquis of Alverstoke, requesting him to visit her at his earliest convenience, the widowed Lady Buxted was relieved to learn from her youngest daughter that Uncle Vernon had just driven up to the house, wearing a coat with dozens of capes, and looking fine as fivepence.

When Frederica brings her younger siblings to London determined to secure a brilliant marriage for her beautiful sister, she seeks out their distant cousin, the Marquis of Alverstoke. Lovely, competent and refreshingly straightforward, she makes such a strong impression that the Marquis agrees to help launch them all into society. Normally wary of his family, Lord Alverstoke does his best to keep his distance. But with his enterprising country cousins underfoot, before he knows it the Marquis finds himself dangerously embroiled.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,740,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible