Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

Frederica by the dread pirate Georgette…
Hauling away...

Frederica (original 1965; edition 2004)

by the dread pirate Georgette Heyer

CrewmatesArr! ReviewsPopulARRrityCrew sysJaw flappin' / Mentions
1,554504,720 (4.19)2 / 230
Matey:librogurl
Tome:Frederica
Them scribblers:Georgette Heyer
Pearls o' Wisdom:ARROW (RAND) (2004), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 380 pages
Piles o' Booty:Yer cargo, What's Jean read?
How ye liked it:****
Pennons:Nought

Frederica by the scurvy dog Georgette Heyer (1965)

Recently looted byFrancesPope, jhblanch, hidden library, RachelNR, MusKit, peterpetcarp, sammii507, DanielDittmar
  1. The Grand Sophy by the scurvy dog Georgette Heyer (1960)
  2. Penhallow by the scurvy dog Georgette Heyer (1942)
  3. Regency Buck by the scurvy dog Georgette Heyer (1967)
  4. The Private World of Georgette Heyer by the scurvy dog Jane Aiken Hodge (1984)
  5. Georgette Heyer's Regency World by the scurvy dog Jennifer Kloester (2005)
  1. Slightly Dangerous by the scurvy dog Mary Balogh (2004)
  2. Nine Coaches Waiting by the scurvy dog Mary Stewart (1961)
  3. Lord of Scoundrels by the scurvy dog Loretta Chase (1995)
  4. Madam, Will You Talk? by the scurvy dog Mary Stewart (1955)
  5. Airs Above the Ground by the scurvy dog Mary Stewart (1987)
    The Corinthian by the scurvy dog Georgette Heyer (shoujo85)
    Black Sheep by the scurvy dog Georgette Heyer (shoujo85)
    The End of the World (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Written in the style of Heyer
Hauling away...

One of my favourite Georgette Heyer books - audiobook version is fantastic! ( )
  FrancesPope | Sep 15, 2014 |
Reread - IMO one of the better Heyers. As is true of all of her books it opens up a window of the views of society and gender relations that were dominant among / acceptable to her reading public as, or more, than than it illuminates social and gender relations in Regency England. Mercifully the plot does not require the reader to buy into the idea that bullying from the right man is the key to winning a woman's heart. ( )
  mmyoung | Aug 31, 2014 |
"Frederica" is the story of Frederica Merriville, the eldest sister in a family who has lost both of their parents, and Vernon, the Marquis of Alverstoke, a selfish, hedonistic man who does everything he can to vex his family. Twenty-four year old Frederica has used a great deal of her savings to come to London in order to present her lovely yet vapid sister, Charis, to society, in the hopes of her making a good marriage. In order to do this, she enlists the help of Alverstoke, who is a distant relative. He agrees to do it in order to vex his sisters who have been begging him to put on a ball for their daughters, thinking that his connection with the Merivilles will be severed after the ball. But it is not so easy! Felix Merriville, the youngest and a merry and inquisitive child, begins to see Alverstoke as a sort of father-figure, and much to Alverstoke's suprise, has Alverstoke agree to escort him to all sorts of places around London. Alverstoke also finds himself involved in the life of sixteen-year-old Jessamy, who he also saves from trouble. Always having seen himself as not caring about other people, Alverstoke is shocked as he begins to realize how much he cares for the younger Merrivilles, but even more, for their eldest sister, Frederica...

This is a charming book! Alverstoke is a brilliant and amusing character, and it is very amusing to see the change in him from the beginning to when he falls in love with Frederica. Felix is a charming child, and his near-tragedy at the end had me riveted and worried (I had to read ahead!). But most of all, the reader has to love Frederica, the selfless girl who thinks more of family than herself, and who doesn't realize she's in love until the very last moment...

A wonderful story! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
One of my favorite Heyer novels. The book is a little heavy with the antics of Felix and Jessamy, and a little light on Frederica, Charis, and the other girls in the family looking for husbands, but still very enjoyable.
  CarriePalmer | May 2, 2014 |
This is only my second Regency romance from Heyer, but it won't be the last. I'm a little surprised at how much I enjoyed rubbing shoulders with the high-flying ladies and gentlemen of the ton, London's high society crowd of the early 19th century.

As protagonist we have Alverstoke, a handsome, well-dressed, wealthy Marquess who does not suffer fools or flirts gladly. He is selfish in all the ways that only rich titled gentlemen can be in that era. Or at least he is until he meets our heroine, Frederica, the eldest daughter of a respectable but not aristocratic family from the country. Frederica brings her younger siblings to London determined to launch her beautiful 19-year-old sister into society and thus into a good marriage — a "comfortable" marriage, not a "brilliant" one, as she takes pains to tell Alverstoke, for she needs his connections to smooth the way for them. At first, he does so simply to annoy his (extremely annoying) sister, but he soon comes to appreciate Frederica's bright mind, unaffected manner, and witty repartee. She herself, being all of four-and-twenty years of age, is of course well into her spinsterhood and thus hardly in the market for a husband for herself. Add in two impetuous younger brothers who continually get into scrapes and need rescuing by Alverstoke and you have the setting for a charming romance.

Unlike modern romances, Heyer doesn't mess about with the whole "hate at first sight so of course they fall in love" trope. Alverstoke and Frederica have a healthy liking and appreciation for each other from the beginning, though neither is quite prepared to admit to feeling any more than that until a series of family crises forces them to confront their feelings. If I need to tell you that everyone lives happily ever after, you're clearly not cut out to read romances.

Some of my favorite bits were the astonishing variety of ways people of that age had for insulting each other — ninnyhammer, pea-goose, and slow-top were among my favorite variations on "dumb as a box of rocks". A little Googling now and then helped me figure out just what everybody was wearing, riding in, and doing. I now know far more than I should about carriage types and male fashions of the early 1800s but all that knowledge will stand me in good stead when I tackle the next Regency romance by Heyer, which I most surely will. ( )
1 Say aye rosalita | Feb 9, 2014 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon

Scribbler's nameRoleType 'o authorWork?How farrr the crew's sailed
Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norgate, Cliffordteller o tha talesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Wha most mateys call it
F'rst scribbled
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
Startin' out
Not more than five days after she had despatched an urgent missive to her brother, the Most Honourable the Marquis of Alverstoke, requesting him to visit her at his earliest convenience, the widowed Lady Buxted was relieved to learn from her youngest daughter that Uncle Vernon had just driven up to the house, wearing a coat with dozens of capes, and looking fine as fivepence.
What the sprogs be sayin'
Final flappin'
How these be diff'rent
Land lubbers
Original lingo

Nought

Tome description

No notes found; 'tis a mystery of the deep..

When Frederica brings her younger siblings to London determined to secure a brilliant marriage for her beautiful sister, she seeks out their distant cousin, the Marquis of Alverstoke. Lovely, competent and refreshingly straightforward, she makes such a strong impression that the Marquis agrees to help launch them all into society. Normally wary of his family, Lord Alverstoke does his best to keep his distance. But with his enterprising country cousins underfoot, before he knows it the Marquis finds himself dangerously embroiled.… (more!)

Pillage Etomes Audio

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (4.19)

Two editions 'o 'tis book were published by Audible.com.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,225 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible