Frederica by Georgette HEYER

Frederica (original 1965; edition 1968)

by Georgette HEYER

1,807653,871 (4.17)2 / 318
Member:LucindaBrant
Title:Frederica
Authors:Georgette HEYER
Info:Pan (1968), Edition: Pbk.ed., Paperback
Collections:Your library, Georgette Heyer
Rating:*****

Frederica by Georgette Heyer (1965)

English (61)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All (63)
Another favorite of Heyer's for me. What I liked about it was the whole idea of a family as a whole being on one side of a romance, sort of like a package deal. I fell in love with the Merriville family. As always, Heyer's wit is just so prevalent. Especially in the exchanges between young Felix and the Marquis of Alverstoke the cynical, bored, nobleman. Alverstoke really grows on you as the book progresses. Frederica, oddly enough, is not my favorite Heyer heroine, but she is still a plucky and bright girl. I've tried reading similar regency authors, some are good, but I keep coming back to Heyer as she, only eclipsed by Jane Austen, is the ideal author for this genre in my opinion. ( )
  Likeitorlumpit | Dec 3, 2016 |
While I can't stand Nora Roberts--what a poor writer!--I love all Regency books by Mrs. Heyer. Frederica is one of my favorites. If you like Jane Austen you will love Georgette Heyer. Her sense of humor is priceless and her characters are endearing. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
Fun fluff. Frederica is too focused on her family (sister and brothers) to pay attention to her own needs; Alverstoke is, he would assure you, completely selfish and uninterested in other people. But he crosses her path due to a "simple" request for help, and things develop from there...the HEA is perfectly reasonable, given the events described. I like both of them. Also like Charles, particularly near the end, and wish him well in his courtship. I wish we could see more of him, and of Felix in a few years. Maybe Jessamy too, though he's a bit of a pain - not entirely, but off and on through the book. There are an assortment of silly people, as always in a Heyer, but they're not the protagonists, and most of them are presented as entirely to be laughed at (Alverstoke's sisters, for two). Definitely worth reading, possibly worth rereading. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 26, 2016 |
A Regency period romance written with the gift of humor. Georgette Heyer immerses you in this time period in Britain.

This is one of my favorite authors that I love to read and relax with. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 12, 2016 |
I've seen this described as one of Heyer's better books, which confuses me. There is nothing new or wonderful about anything in this book. As usual, the heroine is a sensible pretty woman of good breeding with laudable loyalty and family feeling. The hero is sophisticated, physically powerful, fashionable, rich, and very respected in Society. They are brought together by the heroine's funny family (in this case, her rambunctious brothers and beautiful but silly sister--another Heyer trope). The brothers are the best part of this book, particularly Jessamy. His struggle toward maturity is the best subplot this novel could ask for. The main plot is lackluster, however. The love interests feel no heat for each other--after a few chapters of being friends, suddenly each is attracted to the other, but nothing really gets in the way or spurs them on to declare their love. At no point was my interest roused. The rich, handsome Marquis of Alverstroke was clearly going to marry the pretty, thoughtful Frederica after a few amusing scrapes and perhaps an attempted elopement on the part of her beautiful younger sister--and lo, it was so.

I've been reading a regency romance a month for a while now, and I think i need to take a break before I sour on the genre entirely. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Norgate, CliffordNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not more than five days after she had despatched an urgent missive to her brother, the Most Honourable the Marquis of Alverstoke, requesting him to visit her at his earliest convenience, the widowed Lady Buxted was relieved to learn from her youngest daughter that Uncle Vernon had just driven up to the house, wearing a coat with dozens of capes, and looking fine as fivepence.

When Frederica brings her younger siblings to London determined to secure a brilliant marriage for her beautiful sister, she seeks out their distant cousin, the Marquis of Alverstoke. Lovely, competent and refreshingly straightforward, she makes such a strong impression that the Marquis agrees to help launch them all into society. Normally wary of his family, Lord Alverstoke does his best to keep his distance. But with his enterprising country cousins underfoot, before he knows it the Marquis finds himself dangerously embroiled.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,048,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible