Frederica by Georgette HEYER

Frederica (original 1965; edition 1968)

by Georgette HEYER

1,548484,742 (4.19)2 / 224
Member:LucindaBrant
Title:Frederica
Authors:Georgette HEYER
Info:Pan (1968), Edition: Pbk.ed., Paperback
Collections:Your library, Georgette Heyer
Rating:*****

Frederica by Georgette Heyer (1965)

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer (shoujo85)
    Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer (shoujo85)
    The End of the World (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Written in the style of Heyer

English (46)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (48)
"Frederica" is the story of Frederica Merriville, the eldest sister in a family who has lost both of their parents, and Vernon, the Marquis of Alverstoke, a selfish, hedonistic man who does everything he can to vex his family. Twenty-four year old Frederica has used a great deal of her savings to come to London in order to present her lovely yet vapid sister, Charis, to society, in the hopes of her making a good marriage. In order to do this, she enlists the help of Alverstoke, who is a distant relative. He agrees to do it in order to vex his sisters who have been begging him to put on a ball for their daughters, thinking that his connection with the Merivilles will be severed after the ball. But it is not so easy! Felix Merriville, the youngest and a merry and inquisitive child, begins to see Alverstoke as a sort of father-figure, and much to Alverstoke's suprise, has Alverstoke agree to escort him to all sorts of places around London. Alverstoke also finds himself involved in the life of sixteen-year-old Jessamy, who he also saves from trouble. Always having seen himself as not caring about other people, Alverstoke is shocked as he begins to realize how much he cares for the younger Merrivilles, but even more, for their eldest sister, Frederica...

This is a charming book! Alverstoke is a brilliant and amusing character, and it is very amusing to see the change in him from the beginning to when he falls in love with Frederica. Felix is a charming child, and his near-tragedy at the end had me riveted and worried (I had to read ahead!). But most of all, the reader has to love Frederica, the selfless girl who thinks more of family than herself, and who doesn't realize she's in love until the very last moment...

A wonderful story! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
One of my favorite Heyer novels. The book is a little heavy with the antics of Felix and Jessamy, and a little light on Frederica, Charis, and the other girls in the family looking for husbands, but still very enjoyable.
  CarriePalmer | May 2, 2014 |
This is only my second Regency romance from Heyer, but it won't be the last. I'm a little surprised at how much I enjoyed rubbing shoulders with the high-flying ladies and gentlemen of the ton, London's high society crowd of the early 19th century.

As protagonist we have Alverstoke, a handsome, well-dressed, wealthy Marquess who does not suffer fools or flirts gladly. He is selfish in all the ways that only rich titled gentlemen can be in that era. Or at least he is until he meets our heroine, Frederica, the eldest daughter of a respectable but not aristocratic family from the country. Frederica brings her younger siblings to London determined to launch her beautiful 19-year-old sister into society and thus into a good marriage — a "comfortable" marriage, not a "brilliant" one, as she takes pains to tell Alverstoke, for she needs his connections to smooth the way for them. At first, he does so simply to annoy his (extremely annoying) sister, but he soon comes to appreciate Frederica's bright mind, unaffected manner, and witty repartee. She herself, being all of four-and-twenty years of age, is of course well into her spinsterhood and thus hardly in the market for a husband for herself. Add in two impetuous younger brothers who continually get into scrapes and need rescuing by Alverstoke and you have the setting for a charming romance.

Unlike modern romances, Heyer doesn't mess about with the whole "hate at first sight so of course they fall in love" trope. Alverstoke and Frederica have a healthy liking and appreciation for each other from the beginning, though neither is quite prepared to admit to feeling any more than that until a series of family crises forces them to confront their feelings. If I need to tell you that everyone lives happily ever after, you're clearly not cut out to read romances.

Some of my favorite bits were the astonishing variety of ways people of that age had for insulting each other — ninnyhammer, pea-goose, and slow-top were among my favorite variations on "dumb as a box of rocks". A little Googling now and then helped me figure out just what everybody was wearing, riding in, and doing. I now know far more than I should about carriage types and male fashions of the early 1800s but all that knowledge will stand me in good stead when I tackle the next Regency romance by Heyer, which I most surely will. ( )
1 vote rosalita | Feb 9, 2014 |
This was my first Heyer novel, and my main comment about the enterprise is...whoa, this is seriously slangy! It's hard to go a paragraph without encountering a ninnyhammer or a bear-garden jaw. It is a very sprightly and likeable book, though I wish we had gotten a leetle more wrap-up at the end.

I quite liked Frederica and Jessamy, and enjoyed Alverstoke very much, too. I wouldn't have minded if Felix had taken a hot air balloon ride to somewhere far, far away from the narrative. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
The Marquis of Alverstoke has always been bored easily by the women in his life and his sisters. But when his distant relative Frederica Merriville asks him to help launch her and her sister into society he decides to do so on a whim. Suddenly immersed in the various scrapes that the Merriville family is continually falling into, Alverstoke isn't bored. In fact, he finds himself surprisingly interested and fascinated by Frederica.

Georgette Heyer is officially well on her way to becoming one of my favourite authors. This book was an absolute delight from start to finish. Frederica is a bright and competent heroine with an amusing set of siblings and Alverstoke is a bit of a rake with a heart of gold. The two of them banter their way through the entire novel and every time they share the page, it's thoroughly enjoyable. Filled with rich historical detail, the plot clips along and never fails to entertain. Simply a fun book to read. ( )
  MickyFine | Feb 1, 2014 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norgate, CliffordNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not more than five days after she had despatched an urgent missive to her brother, the Most Honourable the Marquis of Alverstoke, requesting him to visit her at his earliest convenience, the widowed Lady Buxted was relieved to learn from her youngest daughter that Uncle Vernon had just driven up to the house, wearing a coat with dozens of capes, and looking fine as fivepence.

When Frederica brings her younger siblings to London determined to secure a brilliant marriage for her beautiful sister, she seeks out their distant cousin, the Marquis of Alverstoke. Lovely, competent and refreshingly straightforward, she makes such a strong impression that the Marquis agrees to help launch them all into society. Normally wary of his family, Lord Alverstoke does his best to keep his distance. But with his enterprising country cousins underfoot, before he knows it the Marquis finds himself dangerously embroiled.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible