Frederica by Georgette HEYER

Frederica (original 1965; edition 1968)

by Georgette HEYER

1,619554,478 (4.17)2 / 264
Member:LucindaBrant
Title:Frederica
Authors:Georgette HEYER
Info:Pan (1968), Edition: Pbk.ed., Paperback
Collections:Your library, Georgette Heyer
Rating:*****

Frederica by Georgette Heyer (1965)

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer (shoujo85)
    Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer (shoujo85)
    The End of the World by D. W. Wilkin (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Written in the style of Heyer

English (53)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (55)
A fun regency romance from Georgette Heyer, made even more enjoyable by the cast of secondary characters, chiefly Frederica's younger brothers and the family dog.
  Yllom | Aug 10, 2015 |
It really is impossible for me to pick a favourite among Georgette Heyer's books. I love them all. Frederica and Venetia are my top picks at the moment, but that may change! ( )
  Lesley-Anne | Jul 24, 2015 |
This must be my favourite Georgette Heyer novel that I've read so far. Likeable characters (including a couple of decent strong females) and an entertaining plot - very enjoyable, highly recommend. ( )
  cazfrancis | May 25, 2015 |
Frederica is the eldest of five siblings, filling in as their parent as best as she can. She is determined to give her stunningly beautiful younger sister, Charis, the opportunity to have "a season" in London, in order to find a good husband to provide for Charis "comfortably".

But Frederica's family assets are modest, and she needs a patron for introduction into the stylish rich society of Regency London. So Frederica calls upon Lord Alverstoke, a very distant cousin, and he agrees to assist Charis' introduction to society, if only to tease and annoy his own sisters.

Frederica was an engaging story, in a spirit and genre somewhat between Jane Austen and Marion Chesney. It never felt like formula writing, and I was pleased at the lack of cliches. I also enjoyed the character development, which is sadly often lacking in Regency novels. It was recommended to me, and I recommend it to others. ( )
1 vote fuzzi | Mar 29, 2015 |
I've heard so many good things about Georgette Heyer from so many people who share my tastes in books that I don't know why I put off reading her for so long. I suppose my consolation is that I now have a large trove of books to delight me, as I expect I will be making my way through a number of her other historical romances in the years ahead.

I listened to Frederica as an audiobook, and I think perhaps it was even more enjoyable than reading it might have been. There are so many wonderful bits of humor, so many excellent little descriptions and insights into character, not to mention the many historical references, that I am glad to have had the chance to savor them at the slightly slower pace of an audio book.

[Total tangent: Harry Potter has ruined the name Vernon for me. I had to strain my imagination mightily to pretend Lord Alverstoke had a different first name every time it was mentioned}

All in all I found Frederica wonderfully entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable, and I am very very eager to read more of Heyer's work! ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norgate, CliffordNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not more than five days after she had despatched an urgent missive to her brother, the Most Honourable the Marquis of Alverstoke, requesting him to visit her at his earliest convenience, the widowed Lady Buxted was relieved to learn from her youngest daughter that Uncle Vernon had just driven up to the house, wearing a coat with dozens of capes, and looking fine as fivepence.

When Frederica brings her younger siblings to London determined to secure a brilliant marriage for her beautiful sister, she seeks out their distant cousin, the Marquis of Alverstoke. Lovely, competent and refreshingly straightforward, she makes such a strong impression that the Marquis agrees to help launch them all into society. Normally wary of his family, Lord Alverstoke does his best to keep his distance. But with his enterprising country cousins underfoot, before he knows it the Marquis finds himself dangerously embroiled.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,994,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible