Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer

Lady of Quality (1972)

by Georgette Heyer

English (38)  German (1)  All (39)
Theme of the runaway heiress befriended by Annis, the spirited, unmarried lady, is similar to other Heyer novels. Oliver Carlton is an engaging character who provokes Annis and sets the Bath quizzes buzzing. Much better story than 'Sprig Muslin'. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Sep 24, 2017 |
Romance in a period novel of early 19th century England. The descriptions of society in the town of Bath are insightful aas well as engaging. It is fun to step back in time and enjoy a d romanace. ( )
1 vote Bettesbooks | Mar 23, 2017 |
Fun romance. A lady who's used to being on her own, and a man famous for his rudeness, collide over his niece's care...and happy ever after. I suspect Lady Wychwood was right, and Lucilla and Ninian might get together once they grow up a little. There's not much to the story, except the characters and their interactions - Maria was incredibly annoying, and deserves to be dumped out on her ear (not clear what will happen to her, by the end of the book). Annis and Oliver bicker, elegantly, every time they meet - and their conversations are quite amusing. I like Annis with Amabel and with her brother - at least, when I'm not being annoyed by them too. Not a favorite, but worth reading and probably worth rereading. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Mar 8, 2017 |
When you consider that Heyer wrote this as she was dying and all the wonderful books she wrote in her career one looks at this as a fond remembrance of a women who gave us such enjoyment from both her mysteries and her better known historical romances. It's nothing new or uniquely brilliant but it is a reminder of what we love about Heyer - an accurate portrayal of the time period she writes about, characters that you can love and hate and a solid romance without having to explicitly spell it out for her readers.

Lady Annis is twenty-nine years old woman of means who doesn't want to be relegated to the role of "Auntie". So she does something impulsive and brings in a young woman, Lucilla she doesn't even know. There she meets her uncle and guardian, Oliver Carleton.

The best part of this book is the relationship Lucilla and her childhood friend and between Annis and Oliver. Oliver really carries this book. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
I'd heard her name bandied about before, and I enjoy a good period novel, so I picked this up. Woe! It's absolute crap. The main character is beautiful, charming, has a gazillion suitors, is independent and wealthy, and of course everyone falls in love with her. Oh la! There's little more disturbing that a Regency-era Mary Sue written in the 1950's.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The elegant travelling carriage which bore Miss Wychwood from her birthplace, on the border of Somerset and Wiltshire, to her home in Bath, proceeded on its way at a decorous pace.
"I lied when I said I like you! I do not like you! I am very nearly sure that I dislike you excessively."
* Dit boek is ook uitgegeven onder de titel: De Liefde van een Lady..

Spirited, independent and in her late twenties, Miss Annis Wychwood held herself to be past the age for falling in love.

Befriending a pretty runaway heiress brings unexpected consequences, among them the very conflicting emotions aroused by her encounters with the wayward girl's guardian, Mr Oliver Carleton, who was quite the rudest man Annis had ever met...

When spirited, independent Miss Annis Wynchwood embroils herself in the affairs of a runaway heiress, she is destined to see a good deal of Lucilla’s uncivil and high-handed guardian Mr Oliver Carleton.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:59 -0400)

When Miss Annis Wychwood offers sanctuary to the very young runaway heiress Miss Lucilla Carleton, no one at all thinks this is a good idea. With the exception of Miss Carleton's overbearing guardian, Mr. Oliver Carleton, whose reputation as the rudest man in London precedes him. Outrageous as he is, the charming Annis ends up finding him absolutely irresistible.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,526,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible