Blackass: A Novel by A. Igoni Barrett

Blackass: A Novel (2015)

by A. Igoni Barrett

I felt like this book was anti-climactic. I was almost done when I had to return it to the library and I remember being sad that I had to take a break, but upon picking it up again I couldn't figure out *why*. In my opinion, there's no resolution in this book either. I don't feel like the main character ever truly finds his way, which is what I was waiting for the whole time. There's also maybe a sub-plot (though under-developed if that is indeed what it is) that was just confusing and distracting. Overall, glad I read it but would not recommend strongly. ( )
  BEGivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
Eh.... The story never gelled for me. It's been years since I've read Kafka's 'Metamorphosis' (and it was for school) but the premise sounded promising: A black Nigerian wakes up one morning to find that he is....white.

So Furo must learn how to navigate this new world in a different skin, except for one particular part of his body (see the title). This book was supposed to be a commentary about this man now navigating the world (including every day interactions such as ordering food to a job interview) now as a white man.

I definitely didn't feel the book was for me. I found Kafka's book really weird while in high school although I don't know if I'd feel the same if I re-read it today. But I think there's definitely a cultural gap. Another review wrote that it's not really written for non-Nigerians and I got that impression. I honestly wondered if I understood the culture and history better if this would have connected with me. And unfortunately Furo is just not interesting at all, even with his transformation.

Not only that, I also didn't find the story at all interesting. There are other characters that we follow and while this can be interesting if done well, I didn't like it. It could be that I was misled by marketing/the book blurb but I really don't like it when there are actually multiple storylines when I think I'm just going to follow this one character.

It's a pity because it was on lists of being one of those widely anticipated books. I wouldn't believe the hype. Borrow if you're really interested but be prepared for the slog. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
An excellent book full of humor that depicts Africa as it is today. Its content is of actuality. The author is part of the narrative and the reader is challenged to find his/her place in it. ( )
1 vote RNgijol | Aug 24, 2017 |
Furo Wariboko awoke this morning to find that dreams can lose their way and turn up on the wrong side of sleep.

"Furo Wariboko wakes on the morning of a job interview to discover he's turned into a white man: red hair, green eyes, pale skin. In this condition he plunges into the bustle of Lagos to make his fortune. Pursued from the streets to the boardroom by those who would use him, Furo hides the evidence of his former life... as he reinvents himself. In this wicked satire, Furo's search for an identity deeper than his skin leads to the unraveling of his own precariously constructed story"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,123,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible