The Ringworld Engineers by Larry Niven

The Ringworld Engineers (1980)

by Larry Niven

Series: Ringworld (2), Known Space (9)

Same quality reading than the first, willing to go on ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
This one goes in the category of DNF...did not finish. I know that it will be a waste of time when the book sounds just like Charlie Brown's teacher: "waaah waaah wah wah". This one did. I truly listened to the author's forward and believed him when he said that it was written because people liked it. But, I could tell just a few minutes into the story that I didn't. ( )
  buffalogr | Mar 27, 2016 |
Sequel to the Sci Fi classic "Ringworld", and I liked it better than the original. In this volume, set 23 years later, protagonist Louis Wu and his Kzinti comrade Speaker to Animals (now named Chmee) are kidnapped by another Puppeteer and brought back to the Ringworld in order to find a machine that the Puppeteer can bring back to his homeworld to reclaim his standing as leader.

Once on the Ringworld, however, the expedition discovers that the artifact has come off-center and is in danger of falling into its sun. The remainder of the book features the expedition's attempts to save the Ringworld.

Niven's strength remains that he writes plausible science, with carefully crafted physics and an imaginative world. Following the plot can be challenging, however, as he doesn't always explain clearly what is going on.

Anyway, a good take, and I'm hooked enough to continue and read the rest of the series. ( )
  DanTarlin | Jun 6, 2015 |
I'm not exactly sure why, but this was a real let down given how much I recall liking it when I was much younger -- I guess I was somewhat of a sucker for most sci-fi back then, but still... what a disappointment. It felt far too much like Niven penned this one only to answer demanding questions from fans of the earlier book in this series. Oh well, I guess I likely won't follow up and continue reading the other Ringworld books unless I really feel something can offset the feeling this one left in me. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
Sometimes, it's better not to go back home. Ringworld Engineers is one of those times. In addition to other flaws, Niven contradicts the precepts of his own Known Space universe in order to reach a dramatic plot point. ( )
  BruceCoulson | Jan 9, 2014 |

Larry Nivenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gambino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[a page and a half of detailing comment]

You who did all that work and wrote all those letters: be warned that this book would not exist without your unsolicited help. I hadn't the slightest intention of writing a sequel to Ringworld

I dedicate this book to you.
Louis Wu was under the wire when two men came to invade his privacy.

RETURN TO THE RINGWORLD

It's been 20 years since the quixotic and worldsweary Louis Wu discovers the Ringworld.
Now he and Speaker-To-Animals are going back, captives of The Hindmost, a deposed puppeteer leader.
With Louis' help, it intends to regain its status by bringing back such extraordinary treasures from the Ringworld that its fellows will have to be impressed.

But when they arrive, Louis discovers that the Ringworld is no longer stable... and will destroy itself within months. To survive, he must locate ht control center of the legendary engineers who build the planet.
His quest becomes a wild and gripping venture, blended with mysteries and spectacular technologies that only Niven can conjure.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345334302, Mass Market Paperback)

"This rousing sequel to the classic Ringworld continues the adventures of Louis Wu and Speaker-to-Animals on that fantastic planet."--School Library Journal An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:12 -0400)

To house the dying Earth's inhabitants, a huge architectural ring is constructed in outer space. With gravity, an atmosphere, and a temperate climate, Ringworld gives humanity a new lease on life, but not without frightening consequences.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible