The Ringworld Engineers by Larry Niven

The Ringworld Engineers (1980)

by Larry Niven

Series: Ringworld (2), Known Space (9)

Recently added byagmlll, private library, elstree, briabruc, Calladus, Darcy-Conroy, otherside, cedricdu, Novikov

Sequel to the Sci Fi classic "Ringworld", and I liked it better than the original. In this volume, set 23 years later, protagonist Louis Wu and his Kzinti comrade Speaker to Animals (now named Chmee) are kidnapped by another Puppeteer and brought back to the Ringworld in order to find a machine that the Puppeteer can bring back to his homeworld to reclaim his standing as leader.

Once on the Ringworld, however, the expedition discovers that the artifact has come off-center and is in danger of falling into its sun. The remainder of the book features the expedition's attempts to save the Ringworld.

Niven's strength remains that he writes plausible science, with carefully crafted physics and an imaginative world. Following the plot can be challenging, however, as he doesn't always explain clearly what is going on.

Anyway, a good take, and I'm hooked enough to continue and read the rest of the series. ( )
  DanTarlin | Jun 6, 2015 |
I'm not exactly sure why, but this was a real let down given how much I recall liking it when I was much younger -- I guess I was somewhat of a sucker for most sci-fi back then, but still... what a disappointment. It felt far too much like Niven penned this one only to answer demanding questions from fans of the earlier book in this series. Oh well, I guess I likely won't follow up and continue reading the other Ringworld books unless I really feel something can offset the feeling this one left in me. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
Sometimes, it's better not to go back home. Ringworld Engineers is one of those times. In addition to other flaws, Niven contradicts the precepts of his own Known Space universe in order to reach a dramatic plot point. ( )
  BruceCoulson | Jan 9, 2014 |
Since the originally-written Ringworld was unstable, Mr. Niven creates a plausible fiction to explain some necessary safety features. I found it a pretty good book, and read it twice over the years. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Nov 13, 2013 |
I didn't really enjoy the original Ringworld, and this book, the sequel, was a little worse. I only persevered in reading it out of a sense of duty: given that the Ringworld is so famously unstable, I wanted to see how Niven had responded to fans' engineering tips. Call it reading the primary source materials behind an episode in nerd history.

In his preamble, Niven states that he had had no intention to write a sequel to the earlier book, and that he only wrote Engineers to quiet down the clamoring hordes. Cue a mixture of back-pedalling, retconning and infodumps, all lacking even the modicum of inspiration that characterized Ringworld.

The storyline seemed much less self-contained than the original book: it felt as though Niven was cramming as much corrective physics and engineering into this volume as possible in order to please the many fans who'd mailed him their suggestions; plots and events and even character development (e.g. a recovering drug addict) took a back seat and were often mere excuses for exposition and infodumping. Just about the only thing about Engineers where it outclasses the previous volume is the moral issues: the main character does contemplate the death and destruction that the troupe's earlier romping about had caused. In a similar vein, the ending to this instalment is a little stronger than the first in that it invokes moral dilemmas; if only it wouldn't then casually brush them aside after a paragraph's shallow consideration.

One thing that Engineers did so much worse than the original was the attitudes surrounding sex -- and especially the part where the main character, as a red-blooded male, can't be expected to not have any. Ringworld had two women explicitly stating they would join the main character (Gary Stu in all but name) on a long voyage in a cramped space ship partially so he wouldn't have to sleep alone. Engineers turned that up to eleven, by introducing the concept of rishathra: ritualized inter-species sex between various species of hominids to seal agreements, solve diplomatic issues, or for anticonception purposes (due to interspecies infertility). Naturally, Mr. Stu gets to sample a wide selection of local females, because Niven keeps introducing rationalizations for why rishathra is necessary in Mr. Stu's dealings with any species he comes across.

So. I've now read two famous sf classics that come with an amusing anecdote in nerd history, and I've now more than fulfilled my nerd duties. I will not be reading the next instalments in this series. ( )
  Petroglyph | Sep 8, 2013 |

Larry Nivenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gambino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[a page and a half of detailing comment]

You who did all that work and wrote all those letters: be warned that this book would not exist without your unsolicited help. I hadn't the slightest intention of writing a sequel to Ringworld

I dedicate this book to you.
Louis Wu was under the wire when two men came to invade his privacy.

It's been 20 years since the quixotic and worldsweary Louis Wu discovers the Ringworld.
Now he and Speaker-To-Animals are going back, captives of The Hindmost, a deposed puppeteer leader.
With Louis' help, it intends to regain its status by bringing back such extraordinary treasures from the Ringworld that its fellows will have to be impressed.

But when they arrive, Louis discovers that the Ringworld is no longer stable... and will destroy itself within months. To survive, he must locate ht control center of the legendary engineers who build the planet.
His quest becomes a wild and gripping venture, blended with mysteries and spectacular technologies that only Niven can conjure.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345334302, Mass Market Paperback)

"This rousing sequel to the classic Ringworld continues the adventures of Louis Wu and Speaker-to-Animals on that fantastic planet."--School Library Journal An ALA Best Book for Young Adults

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:12 -0400)

To house the dying Earth's inhabitants, a huge architectural ring is constructed in outer space. With gravity, an atmosphere, and a temperate climate, Ringworld gives humanity a new lease on life, but not without frightening consequences.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,802,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible