S is for Silence by Sue Grafton

S is for Silence (edition 2006)

by Sue Grafton

Member:akelei
Title:S is for Silence
Authors:Sue Grafton
Info:Berkely Publishing Co. (2006), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but not in possession, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Crime, Kinsey Millhone, missing person, private investigator, detective, adultery, California, read in 2012, back broken after one read, given away

S is for Silence by Sue Grafton (Author)

How to Lose a Client by Becky A. Bartness (readafew)
    readafew: Laugh out loud funny book. Lola is a PI as well in Southern California
    Hasta la Vista, Lola! by Misa Ramirez (readafew)
    readafew: Lola is a cross between Kinsey Milhone and Stephanie Plum
    Fatlands by Sarah Dunant (christiguc)
    christiguc: Hannah Wolfe is a tough, intelligent PI like Kinsey Millhone. The mysteries are enjoyable.

English (54)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (56)
As usual, author Sue Grafton kept me awake and reading until the very end of S is for Silence. Whatever gift she has, Ms Grafton is able to keep my interest throughout the book. I usually skip some paragraphs or chapters, but not with her series I will be so unhappy when she is through with these alphabet books. Silence is a new way for her to write, though, skipping back to earlier times and having the characters tell their version of the plot. I usually hate this way of writing, but again, Ms Grafton writes in such a style that it wasn't confusing, but enlightening. It was sort of me helping to play detective, knowing what these characters were thinking and doing. This approach to telling her tale leaves me hungering for the next Kinsey Millhone adventure. ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Jun 17, 2014 |
Another great Sue Grafton mystery! Had me guessing right up to the end. I like that in a book. ( )
  winecat | Jan 22, 2014 |
As a long time follower of this 1980s time frame alphabet series, I was glad to have an excuse to pull out the next volume (for me) from my TBR. And Ms. Grafton did not fail me. In this one, PI Kinsey Millhone is asked to look into the disappearance of Violet Sullivan from her rural California town in 1953. The request is from Violet's now grown daughter, Daisy, and the tale encompasses Violet's wanton behavior and her abusive marriage. Kinsey begins the search by speaking to the people who remember Violet, her husband, the barkeeps at the local bar, the car salesman from the local lot, Daisy's babysitter to name a few. As always, Kinsey keeps her notes on cards which she shuffles through seeking that one little clue, a new piece of information.

I started reading the series many years ago and spread them out as treats to be savored, hence I'm not up with the newest and latest. When I was a child I lived in California and though these books mostly take place in the 80s, I still get glimpses of the California that I remember. And this book, with its flow back and forth between the 80s and 1953 take me back to the California of my memories from 1956. ( )
  punxsygal | Jan 20, 2014 |
Excellent, Liked how she wrote chronologically through Kinsey's investigation but added "day in the life" glimpses of various characters throughout her book
  llg504 | Sep 7, 2013 |
  cmakny | Aug 14, 2013 |

Grafton, SueAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my granddaughter, Addison, with a heart full of love.
When Liza Mellincamp thinks about the last time she ever saw Violet Sullivan, what comes most vividly to mind is the color of Violet's Japanese silk kimono, a shade of blue that Liza later learned was called "cerulean," a word that wasn't even in her vocabulary when she was fourteen years old.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425212696, Mass Market Paperback)

S is for silence: the silence of the lost, the silence of the grave, the silence of oblivion.

Thirty-four years ago, Violet Sullivan put on her party finery and left for the annual Fourth of July fireworks display. She was never seen again. In the small California town of Serena Station, tongues wagged. Some said she'd run off with a lover. Some said she was murdered by her husband. But for the not-quite-seven-year-old daughter Daisy that she left behind, her absence has never been explained or forgotten.

Now, thirty-four years later, she wants the solace of closure.

In S IS FOR SILENCE, Kinsey Millhone's nineteenth excursion into the world of suspense and misadventure, S is for surprises as Sue Grafton takes a whole new approach to telling the tale. And S is for superb: Kinsey and Grafton at their best.

From the Compact Disc edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:32 -0400)

"Thirty-four years ago, Violet Sullivan put on her polka-dot sundress, freshened her lipstick and left for the Fourth of July fireworks. She was never seen again. Now her daughter wants to find out what happened, and she wants Kinsey Millhone to help..." -- Back cover.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,466,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible