Shadows in Bronze: A Marcus Didius Falco…

Shadows in Bronze: A Marcus Didius Falco Novel (Marcus Didius Falco… (original 1990; edition 2011)

by Lindsey Davis

Member:jgaiser
Title:Shadows in Bronze: A Marcus Didius Falco Novel (Marcus Didius Falco Mysteries)
Authors:Lindsey Davis
Info:Minotaur Books (2011), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebook
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Falco, Ancient Rome

Shadows in Bronze by Lindsey Davis (1990)

English (20)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (23)
This novel is a direct sequel to The Silver Pigs which I read early last year; it begins just after events in the prior novel. I would have read this sooner if I had realized how closely they were related, but Davis does a good job of bringing a new or returning reader up to speed. I really enjoyed 'Silver Pigs' and the beginning of 'Shadows in Bronze' was promising but it rather quickly became plodding. The snarky, slapstick, sometimes comic Falco is dialed up a notch or two. It was a bit too much for me this time around in a novel much longer than the tighter 'Silver Pigs'. There are some good parts in what amounts to a travelogue of parts of the roman empire, but this just simply did not dazzle me like the first novel. I do like the light romance in here, though again, not like the first book.

I had high hopes for this series but will be a little more reserved in enthusiasm now. I'll undoubtedly tackle another book in the series this year with fingers crossed. ( )
  RBeffa | Jan 22, 2016 |
The second book in the Falco series.

Misunderstandings plague Falco and Helena as Falco continues to work for the palace in the wake of the attempted conspiracy against Vespasian.

This is a reread of a book read many years ago. Enjoyable, light read. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Roman private informer Marcus Didius Falco has lost out with Helena Justina so Emperor Vespasian dispatches him on a trip that takes him to Pompeii on the trail of a conspiracy. There, to his delight, he reunites with Helena Justina. Not so delightful is his battle with the conspirators. Great story as usual. Davis's habit of tossing out a sentence or even a long paragraph of description of vendors on a street, food served at a plebian's meal, or furnishings in a room, continues to impress me. Painless way to visualize what Roman street life must've been like under power-crazy aristocrats, especially emperors...although Vespasian is presented as a decent sort. ( )
  NickHowes | May 7, 2015 |
In Shadows In Bronze, by Lindsey Davis, private detective Didius Falco is given the task of completing the round-up of conspirators who plotted to kill and replace Roman Emperor Vespasian; he finds himself hunting down several Senators, and being hunted himself in turn. His job takes him to the Bay of Naples, and the marvelous sea-side towns located there; to provide himself with a cover, he travels with his friend Petronius Longus and his young family, along with Falco's adolescent nephew, and he is happy to discover that Helena Justina, the daughter of a Senator and the love of Falco's life, has also traveled to this holiday resort area. But the people he is hunting are not easy to capture, and those hunting him are not easy to shake off, and before too long Falco is fighting for his life.... This is the second Falco novel, and it's a direct sequel to the first book of the series, The Silver Pigs, although you don't need to have read that book to understand this one. We get to know Falco better and to meet more members of his family, and the romance between Falco and Helena proceeds apace, but really the best part of the book is the setting - the various seaside towns by the Bay, and the doomed city of Pompeii (depicted here 8 years before its fate) are quite vividly rendered and tend to make the reader want to hop the next plane to Italy to see them for oneself. However, I'm not as enamoured of this series as I'd hoped I would be; I find Falco a bit annoying, frankly, and I've never been fond of slow-burning romances that take forever to be sorted out. Nice for the travelogue aspect, and interesting for the historical setting of the Roman Empire, but I felt that I rather plodded through it rather than being carried along with the story. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Nov 13, 2013 |
Read 2013 ( )
  Becchanalia | May 22, 2013 |
In memory of Margaret Sadler: a most dear and trusted friend.
By the end of the alley the fine hairs in my nostrils were starting to twitch.
We had come to meet a man. As usual in these circumstances we suspected he would lead us a merry dance then rob us blind. Since he was a plumber, it was a virtual certainty.
The plumber plodded along in silence, like a man who has learned to be polite to lunatics through dealing with civil engineers.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345374266, Mass Market Paperback)

"I haven't read historical fiction this good since I, CLAUDIUS by Robert Graves and PERSIAN BOY by Mary Renault--and this is a lot funnier."
DETROIT FREE PRESS
He's Rome's favorite son, and of late, Emperor Vespasian's favorite palace spy, charged with finding the culprits who are plotting his imperial demise. In the meanwhile, Marcus Didius Falco has unfinished business with one citizen, Helen Justina, a high-born beauty he has given his heart to. And at these wages, his heart is all he can afford to render unto her--which causes its own problems.
The second in Lindsey Davis' Ancient Rome detective series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:14 -0400)

Roman citizen Marcus Didius Falco welcomes an investigation commissioned by the emperor into treason after Helena Justina, a beauty of privilege, breaks his heart, but finds more trouble than expected.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible