dismiss

Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer

Sprig Muslin (original 1956; edition 2005)

by Georgette Heyer

Finding so young and pretty a girl as Amanda wandering unattended. Sir Gareth Ludlow knows it is his duty as a man of honour to restore her to her family. But it is to prove no easy task for the Corinthian. His captive in spring muslin has more than her rapturous good looks and bandboxes to aid her - she is also possessed of a runaway imagination...… (more)
Member:konallis
Title:Sprig Muslin
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Arrow (2005), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:historical fiction, read 2012

Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer (1956)

English (41)  Swedish (1)  All languages (42)
I was taking a break from Georgette Heyer but this one was a Kindle daily deal and I was in the mood for something light. This was one of her more farcical novels, and definitely the funniest one I have read so far. Where it fell short was in the romance department, as the hero and heroine occupy the same space for very little of the book, and we spend WAY too much time with another character I found very annoying. But overall it was a quick, entertaining read and the end was satisfying. ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
This one is good, not great, and features a lead female character who is the most mendacious spoiled brat you will ever hope to encounter in a book, and a male lead who is rather bland and not as finely drawn as most of Heyer's heroes. Now back to the witches ... ( )
  rosalita | Mar 14, 2018 |
It all begins with a meeting in the common room of a small country inn. Sir Gareth Ludlow is a debonair gentleman on his way to propose marriage to his old friend Hester. The unworldly Amanda ‘Smith’ is a teenage runaway with a head full of romantic novels, an overactive imagination and a habit of telling terrific fibs. Now, you may have jumped to certain conclusions on reading that, but it isn’t quite what you think. It’s all jolly good fun, even if it does descend further into absurdity than most of Heyer’s novels...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2017/12/21/sprig-muslin-georgette-heyer/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Jan 5, 2018 |
Heyer's common theme continues in this novel, with two suitable people misreading each other in their quest for marriage. The plot is derailed by a mischievous runaway and an implausible wounding of the hero. However, it is a very amusing light read. ( )
1 vote SandyAMcPherson | Sep 24, 2017 |
Another book I am not certain how to rate. In this case, I have no point of reference since this is the only novel I have read by Georgette Heyer. It certainly wouldn't be fair to compare it to a regency era author's books, such as those written by Jane Austen. Just based on overall ratings, this isn't one of Heyer's most popular book and I can now understand why.

My biggest obstacle to enjoying the story, was the consistent focus on an annoying character who should have been secondary to the main characters. Had the author spent more time on what was supposed to be the focus, which was a potential love interest between Sir Ludlow and Lady Hester, perhaps the ending would have had made more sense. Instead readers are left to fill in the blanks as to why they would even have any interest in each other.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this book for readers who are eager to try a book by Georgette Heyer. There are other books with much higher ratings such as The Grand Sophy and Frederica. I do plan to read another novel by Heyer before formulating an opinion about her regency inspired romances. ( )
  This-n-That | Oct 23, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miller, Linda LaelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mrs. Wetherby was delighted to receive a morning call from her only surviving brother, but for the first half hour of his visit she was granted no opportunity to do more than exchange a few commonplaces over the heads of her vociferous offspring.

Sir Gareth Ludlow was a sought-after bachelor in London high society -- wealthy, noble, handsome... and brokenhearted since the death of his true love many years ago. Resigned to remarry, Sir Gareth decides to request the hand of a woman he respects and admires -- Lady Hester Thealer. But fate takes an impish turn when, en route to propose to his sensible acquaintance Lady Hester, Ludlow finds a saucy young lady who identifies herself as "Amanda Smith." Pretty Amanda is alone and unchaperone, and wandering unattended, and Ludlow, whose interest in her was purely avuncular, knows it is his duty to bring her back to her family. But it is to prove no easy task for the Corinthian. This turns out to be a challenge as Amanda seems to possess an imagination as intriguing as it is dangerous.

Finally, resigned Sir Gareth Ludlow arrives at the Theale estate with the runaway schoolgirl in tow. After his proposal, Lady Hester stuns both him and her family when she refuses him. At her age, no one would expect her to turn down such an eligible suitor. But rational Hester has met the beautiful indomitable Amanda. How can the quiet, shy Hester hope to compete with such a lively young lady? The headstrong Amanda is young--but old enough to know her own romantic mind--Amanda ran away from her doting grandfather, who objected to her proposed marriage to a youthful, impecunious officer. And the young Amanda will be who will show Hester how to win Ludlow's elusive heart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,652,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible