Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer

Sprig Muslin (original 1956; edition 2011)

by Georgette Heyer

Title:Sprig Muslin
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Edition: Reprint, Kindle Edition, 306 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle

Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer (1956)

THIS WAS AN AUDIOBOOK. Sprig Muslin is a delightful Regency era tale that begins with Sir Gareth Ludlow, a widow who lost his beloved wife Clarissa to a tragic accident. Convinced that he will never truly love again, he sets out to marry an amiable and respectable long-time friend, Hester Theale, whom his sister regards as old (at 29) and insipid. En route to propose marriage to Hester, Sir Gareth encounters a young woman unchaperoned at an Inn, Miss Amanda "Smith", a feisty, pretty and high-spirited girl of about 16 who puts him in mind of his young niece. Determined not to allow this spunky but innocent, gentile young lady to fend for herself in a public Inn without an escort, he takes on the role of guardian with the intention of delivering her back to the safety of her grandfather, who Amanda is running away from since he will not permit her to marry her beloved Neal. Amanda's age and Neal's station in life being a major factor in his decision. Reluctantly Amanda accompanies Sir Gareth until she realizes his scheme to return her to her grandfather. From this point a series of blunders, falsehoods and unbelievable situations take the story in directions that excite, shock and ultimately leave you in such a satisfied state of mind that you will no doubt long remember it for many days, weeks or even months to come. This was my first Georgette Heyer book and I am hooked. There was wit, charm and characters of great depth that regaled me from beginning to end. A masterful writer of the Regency period, I will be looking forward to reading more of her books. ( )
  Lauigl | Nov 19, 2015 |
Another completely absurd Heyer, this one falls into what's fast becoming my favorite sub-category of Heyer's Regency romances: the ones with an older heroine who's considered to be "on the shelf," and her clear-eyed, intelligent, preposterous relationship with her would-be suitor. This one stands out for the extremely unconventional setup: the older lovers and the younger lovers end up stranded together at a shabby country inn when the younger man is shot trying to fake-"abduct" the younger girl (at her insistence). They somehow manage to coexist for nearly a month before any of them are discovered, by which point the older two have fallen in love, and the younger two have fallen out. Hilarity ensues. ( )
  rvhatha | Nov 3, 2015 |
I love Georgette Heyer! Her sentences flow so beautifully--I just savor them as I read. She ties her plots up just as beautifully and with so much humor. I never get tired of reading her books! After rereading one or more of them, I find that some of the Regency vernacular starts creeping into my speech, causing people to give me odd looks. I don't care--if they don't understand what I mean it is their own fault for not reading Georgette Heyer! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Georgette Heyer at her best, what more is there to say? This lively, two-romance, regency romp is so silly and sweet I enjoyed it most in small portions, like dessert. Amanda is a live-wire--young, determined, pretty and scandalously unattended because she’s run away from her doting grandfather hoping to marry her soldier boyfriend. Handsome but with a tragic love history, Sir Gareth runs into Amanda as he is on his way to propose to his old friend Hester, an “on the shelf” woman in her late 20’s, who’s taken advantage of by her family.

Gareth would like to return Amanda to her grandfather, but she refuses to tell him her last name and even tries to escape again, so to keep her out of trouble Gareth takes the loudly protesting Amanda with him to Hester’s family home, causing all kinds of uproar, confusion, and misunderstandings. Is Amanda Sir Gareth’s young mistress? How shocking to bring her along when proposing marriage to another woman!

Nobody expected that poor Hester would find a suitor at this point in her life, but far from acting like an “old maid” Hester is an appealing combination of sensible and freethinking. Even though her current living situation is difficult she is not willing to settle for the companionable marriage Gareth is offering, but being a friend she does try to help him with Amanda, who she has great sympathy for. Has anyone made a movie of a Heyer book? With its galloping fast action and nonstop repartee Sprig Muslin would make a great film. ( )
  Jaylia3 | Jul 4, 2014 |
How fun was that? Very fun! Heyer is not very good at beginnings (at least, I usually find them a bit stilted) but she's brilliant at madcap conclusions.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
Mrs. Wetherby was delighted to receive a morning call from her only surviving brother, but for the first half hour of his visit she was granted no opportunity to do more than exchange a few commonplaces over the heads of her vociferous offspring.

Sir Gareth Ludlow knows it is his duty as a man of honour to restore so young and pretty a girl as Amanda, wandering unattended, to her family. But it is to prove no easy task for the Corinthian.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

Sir Gareth Ludlow is just about ready to settle for marriage with Lady Hester, a plain woman who falls below his standards (according to his sister). Despite her protests, however, Gareth sets out to propose marriage. Along the way, he encounters young Amanda wandering unattended. Honor-bound to restore her to her family, the gallant Sir Ludlow finds he has more than he bargained for with his young charge and her runaway imagination.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,879,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible