Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer

Sprig Muslin (original 1956; edition 2011)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:arctangent
Title:Sprig Muslin
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Edition: Reprint, Kindle Edition, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, 2013 Read or Re-read, Fiction, Kindle Fiction
Tags:fiction, kindle, romance, Regency romance, Great Britain, Georgette Heyer, humor

Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer (1956)

Recently added byprivate library, LoriY, tansymews, darcy36, Jaylia3, junks, fred_mouse, robnbrwn

I love Georgette Heyer! Her sentences flow so beautifully--I just savor them as I read. She ties her plots up just as beautifully and with so much humor. I never get tired of reading her books! After rereading one or more of them, I find that some of the Regency vernacular starts creeping into my speech, causing people to give me odd looks. I don't care--if they don't understand what I mean it is their own fault for not reading Georgette Heyer! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Georgette Heyer at her best, what more is there to say? This lively, two-romance, regency romp is so silly and sweet I enjoyed it most in small portions, like dessert. Amanda is a live-wire--young, determined, pretty and scandalously unattended because she’s run away from her doting grandfather hoping to marry her soldier boyfriend. Handsome but with a tragic love history, Sir Gareth runs into Amanda as he is on his way to propose to his old friend Hester, an “on the shelf” woman in her late 20’s, who’s taken advantage of by her family.

Gareth would like to return Amanda to her grandfather, but she refuses to tell him her last name and even tries to escape again, so to keep her out of trouble Gareth takes the loudly protesting Amanda with him to Hester’s family home, causing all kinds of uproar, confusion, and misunderstandings. Is Amanda Sir Gareth’s young mistress? How shocking to bring her along when proposing marriage to another woman!

Nobody expected that poor Hester would find a suitor at this point in her life, but far from acting like an “old maid” Hester is an appealing combination of sensible and freethinking. Even though her current living situation is difficult she is not willing to settle for the companionable marriage Gareth is offering, but being a friend she does try to help him with Amanda, who she has great sympathy for. Has anyone made a movie of a Heyer book? With its galloping fast action and nonstop repartee Sprig Muslin would make a great film. ( )
  Jaylia3 | Jul 4, 2014 |
How fun was that? Very fun! Heyer is not very good at beginnings (at least, I usually find them a bit stilted) but she's brilliant at madcap conclusions.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
Fairly delightful at points--quite funny, with charming characters.

3.5 stars, really, and could easily have been 4. My only reservation is that we didn't get to see enough of Hester and Gareth interacting after he was shot. I would have enjoyed the book more if I'd witnessed their relationship blossoming instead of having to imagine it. I have nothing against Amanda, but would happily have traded her for more Hester. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Sir Gareth Ludlow has no illusions about ever finding love again after losing his fiancee seven years previously. But knowing his obligation to continue the family line, he decides to propose to his old friend, Hester Brancaster. On the way to the Brancaster estate he encounters a girl calling herself Amanda Smith who will pull Gareth and Hester into levels of mischief they never could have imagined.

One of the more comedic of Heyer's novels that I've read, this novel had me chuckling out loud (and occasionally in inopportune places like the bus). Amanda is a naive girl with her plots to get her own way and an ability to tell such ridiculous tall tales that it's impossible not to find her amusing. Sir Gareth is exactly the strong, mature hero that Heyer is so adept at creating and Hester is a lovely female lead with a hidden steel core in amongst her surface vagueness. This is the first Heyer novel I've read where I haven't been positive where the romance plot was headed but not once did I doubt that all would turn out for the best. A funny and lovely read, as I've come to expect from this mistress of Regency romance. ( )
  MickyFine | Nov 16, 2013 |
Mrs. Wetherby was delighted to receive a morning call from her only surviving brother, but for the first half hour of his visit she was granted no opportunity to do more than exchange a few commonplaces over the heads of her vociferous offspring.

Sir Gareth Ludlow knows it is his duty as a man of honour to restore so young and pretty a girl as Amanda, wandering unattended, to her family. But it is to prove no easy task for the Corinthian.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:38 -0400)

Sir Gareth Ludlow is just about ready to settle for marriage with Lady Hester, a plain woman who falls below his standards (according to his sister). Despite her protests, however, Gareth sets out to propose marriage. Along the way, he encounters young Amanda wandering unattended. Honor-bound to restore her to her family, the gallant Sir Ludlow finds he has more than he bargained for with his young charge and her runaway imagination.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible