Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer

Sprig Muslin (original 1956; edition 2011)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:arctangent
Title:Sprig Muslin
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Edition: Reprint, Kindle Edition, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, 2015 Read or Re-read, 2013 Read or Re-read, Kindle Fiction, Fiction
Tags:fiction, audio also, kindle, romance, Regency romance, Great Britain, Georgette Heyer, humor, narrated by Sian Phillips

Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer (1956)

Recently added byKays_Kindle, private library, SueinCyprus, thea-block, LT_Ammar

Sir Gareth Ludlow, a delightful (if dull) hero, is about to propose marriage to his old friend Hester when he meets the beautiful Amanda who is seventeen, and running away from home. As a gentleman, he cannot abandon her to her fate so he takes her to Hester's house.

Set in Regency England, as are all my favourite books by Georgette Heyer, this plot is rather similar to that of 'Charity Girl' but I still found it a very enjoyable and refreshing afternoon's read. The romance is low-key, the characters brilliantly written so that we sympathise with the least glamorous, and root for those who seem to have little to recommend them other than a deep integrity.

Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys a cleverly written novel with realistic people and just enough plot to give it added interest. While some of the ending was inevitably predictable, it wasn't entirely so - there are some clever twists. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Overall, it was charming. It wasn't the best of Heyer's books - it was rather aggravating that the main heroine kept saying how dumb she was, when it was obvious that she was quite smart and witty - but all of the other characters in the book made up for it. ( )
  moonsoar | Jan 7, 2016 |
THIS WAS AN AUDIOBOOK. Sprig Muslin is a delightful Regency era tale that begins with Sir Gareth Ludlow, a widow who lost his beloved wife Clarissa to a tragic accident. Convinced that he will never truly love again, he sets out to marry an amiable and respectable long-time friend, Hester Theale, whom his sister regards as old (at 29) and insipid. En route to propose marriage to Hester, Sir Gareth encounters a young woman unchaperoned at an Inn, Miss Amanda "Smith", a feisty, pretty and high-spirited girl of about 16 who puts him in mind of his young niece. Determined not to allow this spunky but innocent, gentile young lady to fend for herself in a public Inn without an escort, he takes on the role of guardian with the intention of delivering her back to the safety of her grandfather, who Amanda is running away from since he will not permit her to marry her beloved Neal. Amanda's age and Neal's station in life being a major factor in his decision. Reluctantly Amanda accompanies Sir Gareth until she realizes his scheme to return her to her grandfather. From this point a series of blunders, falsehoods and unbelievable situations take the story in directions that excite, shock and ultimately leave you in such a satisfied state of mind that you will no doubt long remember it for many days, weeks or even months to come. This was my first Georgette Heyer book and I am hooked. There was wit, charm and characters of great depth that regaled me from beginning to end. A masterful writer of the Regency period, I will be looking forward to reading more of her books. ( )
  Lauigl | Nov 19, 2015 |
Another completely absurd Heyer, this one falls into what's fast becoming my favorite sub-category of Heyer's Regency romances: the ones with an older heroine who's considered to be "on the shelf," and her clear-eyed, intelligent, preposterous relationship with her would-be suitor. This one stands out for the extremely unconventional setup: the older lovers and the younger lovers end up stranded together at a shabby country inn when the younger man is shot trying to fake-"abduct" the younger girl (at her insistence). They somehow manage to coexist for nearly a month before any of them are discovered, by which point the older two have fallen in love, and the younger two have fallen out. Hilarity ensues. ( )
  rvhatha | Nov 3, 2015 |
I love Georgette Heyer! Her sentences flow so beautifully--I just savor them as I read. She ties her plots up just as beautifully and with so much humor. I never get tired of reading her books! After rereading one or more of them, I find that some of the Regency vernacular starts creeping into my speech, causing people to give me odd looks. I don't care--if they don't understand what I mean it is their own fault for not reading Georgette Heyer! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Mrs. Wetherby was delighted to receive a morning call from her only surviving brother, but for the first half hour of his visit she was granted no opportunity to do more than exchange a few commonplaces over the heads of her vociferous offspring.

Sir Gareth Ludlow knows it is his duty as a man of honour to restore so young and pretty a girl as Amanda, wandering unattended, to her family. But it is to prove no easy task for the Corinthian.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

Sir Gareth Ludlow is just about ready to settle for marriage with Lady Hester, a plain woman who falls below his standards (according to his sister). Despite her protests, however, Gareth sets out to propose marriage. Along the way, he encounters young Amanda wandering unattended. Honor-bound to restore her to her family, the gallant Sir Ludlow finds he has more than he bargained for with his young charge and her runaway imagination.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,175,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible