Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer

Sprig Muslin (original 1956; edition 2011)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:arctangent
Title:Sprig Muslin
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Edition: Reprint, Kindle Edition, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, 2015 Read or Re-read, 2013 Read or Re-read, Kindle Fiction, Fiction
Tags:fiction, audio also, kindle, romance, Regency romance, Great Britain, Georgette Heyer, humor, narrated by Sian Phillips

Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer (1956)

Recently added bySueellenau, Eowyn1, peterpetcarp, Lisa805, Kaethe, murderbydeath, KimSalyers, private library

Another book I am not certain how to rate. In this case, I have no point of reference since this is the only novel I have read by Georgette Heyer. It certainly wouldn't be fair to compare it to a regency era author's books, such as those written by Jane Austen. Just based on overall ratings, this isn't one of Heyer's most popular book and I can now understand why.

My biggest obstacle to enjoying the story, was the consistent focus on an annoying character who should have been secondary to the main characters. Had the author spent more time on what was supposed to be the focus, which was a potential love interest between Sir Ludlow and Lady Hester, perhaps the ending would have had made more sense. Instead readers are left to fill in the blanks as to why they would even have any interest in each other.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this book for readers who are eager to try a book by Georgette Heyer. There are other books with much higher ratings such as The Grand Sophy and Frederica. I do plan to read another novel by Heyer before formulating an opinion about her regency inspired romances. ( )
  Lisa805 | Oct 23, 2016 |
I'm being kind with 3 stars.

I totally get why people love this Heyer book so much; I do. But I really disliked it. It's beautifully written and the narrator of this version did a fantastic job (although her Mr. Theele kept making Peter Sellers' Sidney Wang character pop into my head; I couldn't shake the feeling that when she read it she had a rictus-like smile on her face. But I digress.)

So what didn't I like? Amanda. Dear God in heaven; at her best-behaved I'd have left her on the side of the road, taken Joseph with me, and buried her in the carriage's dust. At her worst I wanted to slap her stupid. I very nearly didn't finish the book.

I know I was supposed to find her and her antics a hilariously entraining romp, and I have no problem understanding why most people do, but she's just such a spoiled rotten brat and I was stuck listening to her ridiculous tantrums and schemes for 2/3 of the book.

Why didn't I just dnf it? Because everyone I know and trust loved it, and I really liked Lady Hester and Sir Gareth. I'd have loved this book if it had more of them and less of that little idiot Amanda.

But after saying all of that, this is a personal thing; the book is superbly written and flows beautifully. I hated the predominant character but that's not because she's badly written; likely the opposite. If you can laugh at the antics of a teenager scheming to get her own way with careless but cheerful disregard for others, I highly recommend you put this Heyer at the top of your list. If you're disinclined to find charm in spoiled teens, you might want to stick with Heyer's other titles.

N.B. - notwithstanding the rictus-smile narration of one of the characters, I'd totally listen to this narrator's work again; she did an excellent job. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 13, 2016 |
"Deceit & Dishonesty" may have been a better title for this Heyer classic, as the main characters are all professional liars.

The lies are, however, all relatively harmless and produce many hilarious moments. I laughed out loud many times thanks to the brilliant humour that runs all the way through this entertaining novel.

I would’ve rated this five stars but owing to the occasional lull here and there I feel four stars is more apt.

As for the characters, I loved Amanda, around whom the main story revolves. Ms Heyer was brilliant at creating this type of heroine.

Hester is the complete opposite to Amanda but still very likeable.

Gareth makes a good hero, while the younger Hildebrand is far from shabby.

Being a cat lover I must state that I would’ve loved for Joseph the kitten to have featured in more scenes!

A really good-fun read. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Jul 4, 2016 |
Not bad. In terms of the romance, better than A Civil Contract - he does realize what he's got by the end of the book. The main adventure, though, is mostly very annoying - Amanda is an idiot, and insists on embroiling everyone else in her schemes. On the other hand, she did manage to shake things loose. Hester is way too dutiful at the beginning, I liked her much better by the end. The coincidences that brought everyone there at once are...not entirely ridiculous, only nearly. Amazing numbers of idiotic men here - from the farmboy and Hildebrand to the various male relations. It's not entirely annoying, though - better than almost all of the mysteries. I'll probably reread, at some point. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 10, 2016 |
Though not a standout among her highly entertaining repertoire, Georgette Heyer's Sprig Muslin is effervescent fun with a bit of a twist. ( )
  wisewoman | Apr 17, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miller, Linda LaelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mrs. Wetherby was delighted to receive a morning call from her only surviving brother, but for the first half hour of his visit she was granted no opportunity to do more than exchange a few commonplaces over the heads of her vociferous offspring.

Sir Gareth Ludlow knows it is his duty as a man of honour to restore so young and pretty a girl as Amanda, wandering unattended, to her family. But it is to prove no easy task for the Corinthian.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

Sir Gareth Ludlow is just about ready to settle for marriage with Lady Hester, a plain woman who falls below his standards (according to his sister). Despite her protests, however, Gareth sets out to propose marriage. Along the way, he encounters young Amanda wandering unattended. Honor-bound to restore her to her family, the gallant Sir Ludlow finds he has more than he bargained for with his young charge and her runaway imagination.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,627,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible