Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Inkheart (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Cornelia Funke

11,319407246 (3.93)602
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:The Chicken House (2003), Hardcover, 544 pages
Tags:fantasy, young adult, series, german, books

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (2003)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL, Bitter_Grace, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, dessen Handlung in einer anderen Welt spielt
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (Hollerama)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Magical adventures for preteen girls
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (generalkala)
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (riverwillow)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, das in einer anderen Welt spielt mit einem Mädchen als Protagonistin
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The blue girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (kaledrina)
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A story of the unlikely hero.
    Bozo and the Storyteller by Tom Glaister (Rubbah)
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A wonderful fantasy book that shows the consequences of one's actions.
    La Bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Coeur d'Encre montre des personnages de fiction devant s'adapter à la vie réelle tandis que La Bibliothécaire montre des personnes réelles entrant dans des univers de fiction.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Booksloth)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (riverwillow)
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (riverwillow)
    The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.

English (378)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (408)
The premise of this book is wonderful. Through a surprise talent that few possess, people are actually read in to and out of novels. But in reality, this is not such a good thing. Good people disappear and cannot be found, and bad people do appear, and cannot be gotten rid of. And thus a huge adventure begins. And goes on and on and on. The story is entertaining and thrilling in many parts, and sad and surprising in others. But it just does go on a bit too much, and I found my interest waning some and really, I just wanted it to end. But the conclusion, when it finally did arrive, made sticking with the audio worth it. But I’m not sure I want to dive right into the next book in the series. It really didn’t leave me wanting more. ( )
  Maydacat | Nov 20, 2015 |
I adored this book. The story reached out to my fantasies of living in any of my favorite books. I thought that the idea of writing this, a book about a girl who can quite literally bring characters to life, was absolutely brilliant.
The characters are absolutely amazing. None are quite how they seem at first. They are dynamic and have wonderful personalities and characteristics.
The plot kept me hooked the entire time. I wanted to keep reading to come to the conclusion of this epic tale. While not quite ending the way I hoped it would, it was still a wonderful ending, well worth the time it took to reach it.
I think if anyone ever dreamed of having the contents of their favorite story come to life, to meet the characters in person, then this book is very much worth reading. ( )
  DrPedro | Oct 19, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! :)

It kept me turning pages. Actually, I enjoyed it so much that I really tried to read it as slowly as possible because I wanted to enjoy it for as long as possible. But I became so engrossed in the story, I couldn't keep from reading it quickly. Though the book looks big, reading it went by all too quickly.

My only critique is that I found the villains to be a little too 2-dimensional. They felt flat and unrealistic. However, that might have been intentional, and besides, it's a small price to pay for the overall pleasure of reading such a fun and inspiring book.

I was torn between giving this book 4 or 5 stars. I give it 5 stars for the reverent way the author describes the books themselves and the way the love of books was conveyed throughout the story.

As a side note, this book made me wish I knew a thing or two about book binding! It sounds like a fun and rewarding way to give new life to old books that need a little TLC.

I have become selective about what books I add to my personal library. As soon as I finished the library's copy of this book, I ordered my own copy from Amazon. I rarely ever reread books, but this is one I am likely to read again in the future. ( )
  H.Jo | Aug 30, 2015 |
I read this with my students as part of the school's book club and I enjoyed it tremendously...kid fiction can really be worthwhile! I was especially into the tenderness with which the characters talk about and handle books--it invigorated my love of reading! ( )
1 vote engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
In the first book of the Inkheart trilogy, we are introduced to Mo, an unassuming book-repairman, who lives alone with his precocious 12-year-old daughter, Meggie. Their lives are disrupted one night when they meet a mysterious man named Dustfinger, who comes to warn them of a villain named Capricorn chasing after them. As the story unravels, Mo's past becomes clear: he has a secret gift for bringing words to life, literally, when he reads aloud. With the help of a surly Aunt Elinor, Dustfinger, and a boy brought straight out of Arabian Nights, Mo and Meggie face down Capricorn - one of the greatest villains come to life.

I admit I was surprised when I read that so many reviewers disliked this book, until I read them. For me, the book was utterly charming - combining a great love of reading, the magic of them made manifest in this fantasy world, and the inclusion of quotes from some of my childhood - and adult - favorites (Peter Pan, Lord of the Rings, and so many others. The metamessage, of course, is that reading is powerful and can bring things to life - in this case, literally. But the inclusion of these quotes brought things to another layer. They aren't just sequestered above the chapters, but brought into the chapters itself. The effect was that it felt real.

Take the character of Fenoglio, who wrote the in-book Inkspell and who initially marvels at his characters brought to life. He progresses through the book and becomes their captive and realizes how terrifying and real the villains are - no longer his creations, but something more. There's some interesting things in there about the power of a creation over a creator, and maybe a wink and a nod to the famed old chestnut authors invoke when they "didn't know a character would do that". But it also takes the reader away from "these are characters in the book" to a genuine uncertainty and fear, which is of course, what good fantasy should do.

Most of the reviews mentioned that they hated the "padding" thrown in, and initially I could see this problem. However, it makes sense within the context. We are used to books that are tightly plotted, with the action barreling along a single track, proceeding with twists and turns but always leading to the end in one line. This book is not like that. The book meanders and turns - Meggie is captured, then escapes, then captured again. An ordinary book would shake its head and claim the second capture was unnecessary. Or the first.

However, read this book in its context: it is meant to be read aloud. It is not a book in the traditional sense, but a story. Imagine a child begging to be told a story. You begin with your characters and put them in an exciting scene, then they escape. The next night you tell of their heroic strides across a dry landscape infested with snakes and with the threat of discovery looming over them. The next night, the villains encounter them again! They're subdued and your heroes make it home.

But that's not the end of the story - because there's the next night before bed, and the night after that. The book meanders and turns sharply because it's meant to mimic that oral tradition, particularly within the context of telling a story to a child before bedtime.

In that respect, the length becomes absolutely brilliant.

It's unconventional, and I certainly don't blame people for finding that approach not to their taste, but for those of you who do, read this book. You won't be disappointed. ( )
  kittyjay | Jul 18, 2015 |
Such breathtaking things are going to happen, you cannot even imagine. SPECTACULAR!, FABULOUS! BREATHTAKING! If you've got to read a book it's got to be this one.
Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. ...

When the villains are at last defeated and the denizens of the book tumble through into reality, it is quite disappointing to find them gaudy, small and trivial. Is Funke saying that, while books as books are wonderful, real life has a solid sort of grimness that renders make-believe flimsy? Or is she pleading with us to mix at least a little fantasy with our reality? I don't know. Inkheart leaves you asking such questions. And this is, to my mind, an important thing for a story to do.

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnaghi, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean Buyer,

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in!

Come in!

Shel Silverstein
For Anna, who even put The Lord of The Rings aside for a while to read this book. Could anyone ask for more of a daughter?
And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although I didn't use it for an elf queen.
For Anna, who put 'The Lord Of The Rings' aside for this book. Could anyone ask more of a daughter? And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although i didn't use it for an elf queen.
The book she had been reading was under her pillow, pressing its cover against her ear as if to lure her back into its printed pages.
Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
Why do grown-ups think it's easier for children to bear secrets than the truth?
First published in Germany as Tintenherz by Cecilie Dressler Verlag, Hamburg, 2003.

A young adult fantasy novel where a young girl and her father are able to bring a story's characters to life with equally good and bad results just by reading.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439709105, Paperback)

Meggie’s father, Mo, has an wonderful and sometimes terrible ability. When he reads aloud from books, he brings the characters to life--literally. Mo discovered his power when Maggie was just a baby. He read so lyrically from the the book Inkheart, that several of the book’s wicked characters ended up blinking and cursing on his cottage floor. Then Mo discovered something even worse--when he read Capricorn and his henchmen out of Inkheart, he accidentally read Meggie’s mother in.

Meggie, now a young lady, knows nothing of her father's bizarre and powerful talent, only that Mo still refuses to read to her. Capricorn, a being so evil he would "feed a bird to a cat on purpose, just to watch it being torn apart," has searched for Meggie's father for years, wanting to twist Mo's powerful talent to his own dark means. Finally, Capricorn realizes that the best way to lure Mo to his remote mountain hideaway is to use his beloved, oblivious daughter Meggie as bait!

Cornelia Funke’s imaginative ode to books and book lovers is sure to be enjoyed by fans of her breakout debut, The Thief Lord, and young readers who enjoyed the similarly themed The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible