Blekkhjerte by Cornelia Funke

Blekkhjerte (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Cornelia Funke, Ute overs. Neumann

Member:mostraum
Title:Blekkhjerte
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Other authors:Ute overs. Neumann
Info:[Oslo] : Damm, 2005
Tags:Fantasy

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (2003)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL, Bitter_Grace, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, dessen Handlung in einer anderen Welt spielt
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (Hollerama)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Magical adventures for preteen girls
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (generalkala)
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (riverwillow)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, das in einer anderen Welt spielt mit einem Mädchen als Protagonistin
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (kaledrina)
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A story of the unlikely hero.
    Bozo and the Storyteller by Tom Glaister (Rubbah)
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A wonderful fantasy book that shows the consequences of one's actions.
    La Bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Coeur d'Encre montre des personnages de fiction devant s'adapter à la vie réelle tandis que La Bibliothécaire montre des personnes réelles entrant dans des univers de fiction.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Booksloth)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (riverwillow)
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (riverwillow)
    The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.

English (369)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (398)
Wow, what a fantastic book. I had seen the movie without knowing that it was based on a book. It’s a fantasy adventure story for book lovers. Maggies life has been unusual, moving around from place to place as her father, Mo works repairing rare books. But a late night visit from a mysterious man named Dustfinger send her and her father on the run. In fact Maggie finds out that they have been on the run her whole life, from someone named Capricorn whose connected to the disappearance of her mother long ago. You really should read this book. ( )
  Rosenectur | Jan 26, 2015 |
Molly's father Mo, has a gift. When he reads aloud, the characters come to life. In our world. This is decidedly a mixed blessing, as he doesn't seem to be able to control which characters come alive, and someone from our world always goes to take their place. So, he never reads aloud to Molly until the day he is made to do so by one of the evil characters he has read out of a book.

This was a reread for me. I wanted to hear Lynn Redgrave read it. I recall being enchanted and disenchanted the first time I read it, and I had the same reaction this time. I don't have this experience with many books. I really love the concept of this story, and the characters are certainly well told, yet it irritated me with impatience to be done. Too much maundering on the part of the characters. Their behavior made them seem spineless victims at times, and brainless at others. I enjoyed Vanessa Redgrave's reading, she was terrific. I have no desire to read the other books. Weird, because my emotions about the story are not bad. I love the adventure, the imagination and all. I did have a bit of a quibble with the fact that Mo and Molly's talent seemed very much out of their control until the crucial moment when for some reason they achieved exactly what they wanted and needed from their reading, even though nothing else seemed to have changed. ( )
  MrsLee | Jan 18, 2015 |
It isn't often that I completely give up on a book, but when I was halfway through and nothing interesting had happened *yet*, I knew it was just time to pack it in. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 9, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

This definitely was one of my favourite books when I was a kid. I completely fell in love with the idea of being able to - literally- bring your books to life. (But just as with the Hogwarts invitation letters, I'm still waiting for anything to pop out of my books =) ) It sounded magical, even though it doesn't really work out that well in the book.

Inkheart, the first book in the trilogy, I liked best of all. So many characters I liked are introduced in this book besides the wonderful concept. I was completely sucked into the story (pun intended =) ) and couldn't put it down. I finished this in 2 days, which was quite exceptional for me back in 2007. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Inkheart isn't aimed at adults but it was entertaining enough and kept me reading to the end.

The cover of the book makes it appear like a light, fantasy story filled with fairies and nice things......but nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, there are a few fairies but only enough to fill a sentance or 3, the rest of the book is given over to dark, sinister types with murderous intent.

The concept is a fascinating one. The ability to read characters and things out from the pages of a book. As great as that sounds, the reality of it is more of a curse than a gift as the lead characters find out, and you're left wondering right up to the end how they can put things to right.

If this book has any flaws, it's perhaps that at times the pace stalls and is slow to pick up again, also I feel the villians seem to be a bit too one dimensional. Pain, suffering, misery and fear seem to be all there is to them but perhaps since they're a 'baddie' in a storybook, that's all they need ???

I wouldn't recommend it to be bumped to the top of anyone's TBR pile but it's a nice book to fill in the 'between books' times, that might crop up. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
Such breathtaking things are going to happen, you cannot even imagine. SPECTACULAR!, FABULOUS! BREATHTAKING! If you've got to read a book it's got to be this one.

Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. ...

When the villains are at last defeated and the denizens of the book tumble through into reality, it is quite disappointing to find them gaudy, small and trivial. Is Funke saying that, while books as books are wonderful, real life has a solid sort of grimness that renders make-believe flimsy? Or is she pleading with us to mix at least a little fantasy with our reality? I don't know. Inkheart leaves you asking such questions. And this is, to my mind, an important thing for a story to do.

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnaghi, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean Buyer,

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in!

Come in!

Shel Silverstein
For Anna, who even put The Lord of The Rings aside for a while to read this book. Could anyone ask for more of a daughter?
And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although I didn't use it for an elf queen.
For Anna, who put 'The Lord Of The Rings' aside for this book. Could anyone ask more of a daughter? And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although i didn't use it for an elf queen.
The book she had been reading was under her pillow, pressing its cover against her ear as if to lure her back into its printed pages.
Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
Why do grown-ups think it's easier for children to bear secrets than the truth?
First published in Germany as Tintenherz by Cecilie Dressler Verlag, Hamburg, 2003.

A young adult fantasy novel where a young girl and her father are able to bring a story's characters to life with equally good and bad results just by reading.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439709105, Paperback)

Meggie’s father, Mo, has an wonderful and sometimes terrible ability. When he reads aloud from books, he brings the characters to life--literally. Mo discovered his power when Maggie was just a baby. He read so lyrically from the the book Inkheart, that several of the book’s wicked characters ended up blinking and cursing on his cottage floor. Then Mo discovered something even worse--when he read Capricorn and his henchmen out of Inkheart, he accidentally read Meggie’s mother in.

Meggie, now a young lady, knows nothing of her father's bizarre and powerful talent, only that Mo still refuses to read to her. Capricorn, a being so evil he would "feed a bird to a cat on purpose, just to watch it being torn apart," has searched for Meggie's father for years, wanting to twist Mo's powerful talent to his own dark means. Finally, Capricorn realizes that the best way to lure Mo to his remote mountain hideaway is to use his beloved, oblivious daughter Meggie as bait!

Cornelia Funke’s imaginative ode to books and book lovers is sure to be enjoyed by fans of her breakout debut, The Thief Lord, and young readers who enjoyed the similarly themed The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:51 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,063,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible