Blekkhjerte by Cornelia Funke

Blekkhjerte (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Cornelia Funke, Ute overs. Neumann

Authors:Cornelia Funke
Other authors:Ute overs. Neumann
Info:[Oslo] : Damm, 2005

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (2003)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL, Bitter_Grace, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, dessen Handlung in einer anderen Welt spielt
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (Hollerama)
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Magical adventures for preteen girls
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (generalkala)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: An adult-geared take on a similar premise.
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, das in einer anderen Welt spielt mit einem Mädchen als Protagonistin
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (riverwillow)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (kaledrina)
    Bozo and the Storyteller by Tom Glaister (Rubbah)
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A story of the unlikely hero.
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A wonderful fantasy book that shows the consequences of one's actions.
    La Bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Coeur d'Encre montre des personnages de fiction devant s'adapter à la vie réelle tandis que La Bibliothécaire montre des personnes réelles entrant dans des univers de fiction.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Booksloth)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (riverwillow)
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (riverwillow)

English (407)  German (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (438)
Wow, what a page turner! I do remember liking it quite a lot when I first read it, but dearie, I loved it! The book whispered to me just like Elinor's library and I found myself reading chapter after chapter. I really adored the characters, especially Elinor. My heart near sank into my stomach when her precious books were destroyed. I cried in triumph when Capricorn was vanquished. Funke has a power of words that keeps you clinging to each page, desperate to get to the next. This book makes you thirst to read more--not just of Inkheart itself, or the trilogy, but just to read more. It made me want to explore all the nooks and crannies of every library and bookshop of the world--to just don my uncle buck hat and rainboots and trudge my way through rain and explore the wonders of the world, looking for new stories and new places to write stories about, though I've become more of a reader than a writer as of late.
This book is great on a rainy day--it scoops you up into the world, promising adventure and the allure of the power of literature. It's not just good with a cup of hot cocoa, it IS one. It keeps you warm and gives comfort whenever you reach over for it. There's a a passage at the end that really gave me a nice warm satisfied feeling. "And where better could she learn that trade that in a house full of magical creatures, where fairies built their nests in the garden and books whispered on the shelves by night? As Mo had said: writing stories is a kind of magic, too."

on a girly note, I've started an internal love affair with Dustfinger.
*u* ( )
  ShyPageSniffer | Oct 20, 2016 |
Reread Nov. 2015.

All lovers of books will understand the feeling of being pulled inside a fictional world while reading an especially compelling story...but what if it worked the other way? What if the fictional characters could be pulled out into the real world? Wouldn't that be cool?

Before you answer, consider some of those characters. The anti-heroes. The villains. The monsters. Also consider that some kind of cosmic balance must be maintained. If someone fictional pops out of a story, someone real must pop out of reality. Still, it might be pretty cool, if you could decide who comes and who goes...but of course you can't. That's how Meggie in this story loses her mom.

The characters are, admittedly, fairly one-dimensional. The setting is a simplified, child-eye's view of contemporary Europe. And although it derives from an interesting metaphysical premise, it's not an overly complex story. It is, however, a long one for a book ostensibly intended for pre-teens (over 500 pages in the trade paperback edition I have). I think it's compelling enough to keep a young reader's attention, but it's not a book I'd recommend reading to them as a bedtime story. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
This book was really good except that some parts of it were too drawn out and left me a bit bored. This, it took me weeks to get through the book instead of just days. The story was really interesting and left a lot of room to really think about life, etc. so I continued to read Inkspell and Inkdeath and found those book quiet a bit better and easier to read. ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
Lynn Redgrave, the narrator of the unabridged audio version of this book, does a superb job, and listening to her is a pleasure. However, the book didn't appeal to me as much as it did others.

The story got off to a slow start. Storybook characters come to life when read by bookbinder and book lover Mo, father to young Meggie. For me, the story dragged on too long for the story it was telling. I didn't like that many animals were hurt and killed, although the telling was, thank goodness, not graphic.

I did grow to like some of the characters, and the story was somewhat engaging, but not enough that I feel compelled to read the later books in this series. 3.5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Jul 10, 2016 |
Great plot! I hear they're making it into a film. My 5th graders begged me to read this to them everyday until we were through. ( )
  jkrnomad | Jul 1, 2016 |
Such breathtaking things are going to happen, you cannot even imagine. SPECTACULAR!, FABULOUS! BREATHTAKING! If you've got to read a book it's got to be this one.
Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. ...

When the villains are at last defeated and the denizens of the book tumble through into reality, it is quite disappointing to find them gaudy, small and trivial. Is Funke saying that, while books as books are wonderful, real life has a solid sort of grimness that renders make-believe flimsy? Or is she pleading with us to mix at least a little fantasy with our reality? I don't know. Inkheart leaves you asking such questions. And this is, to my mind, an important thing for a story to do.

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Butterworth, IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawson, CarolCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnaghi, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean Buyer,

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in!

Come in!

Shel Silverstein
For Anna, who even put The Lord of The Rings aside for a while to read this book. Could anyone ask for more of a daughter?
And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although I didn't use it for an elf queen.
For Anna, who put 'The Lord Of The Rings' aside for this book. Could anyone ask more of a daughter? And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although i didn't use it for an elf queen.
The book she had been reading was under her pillow, pressing its cover against her ear as if to lure her back into its printed pages.
Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
Why do grown-ups think it's easier for children to bear secrets than the truth?
First published in Germany as Tintenherz by Cecilie Dressler Verlag, Hamburg, 2003.

A young adult fantasy novel where a young girl and her father are able to bring a story's characters to life with equally good and bad results just by reading.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439709105, Paperback)

Meggie’s father, Mo, has an wonderful and sometimes terrible ability. When he reads aloud from books, he brings the characters to life--literally. Mo discovered his power when Maggie was just a baby. He read so lyrically from the the book Inkheart, that several of the book’s wicked characters ended up blinking and cursing on his cottage floor. Then Mo discovered something even worse--when he read Capricorn and his henchmen out of Inkheart, he accidentally read Meggie’s mother in.

Meggie, now a young lady, knows nothing of her father's bizarre and powerful talent, only that Mo still refuses to read to her. Capricorn, a being so evil he would "feed a bird to a cat on purpose, just to watch it being torn apart," has searched for Meggie's father for years, wanting to twist Mo's powerful talent to his own dark means. Finally, Capricorn realizes that the best way to lure Mo to his remote mountain hideaway is to use his beloved, oblivious daughter Meggie as bait!

Cornelia Funke’s imaginative ode to books and book lovers is sure to be enjoyed by fans of her breakout debut, The Thief Lord, and young readers who enjoyed the similarly themed The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,696,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible