Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Inkheart (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Cornelia Funke

Member:booksandwine
Title:Inkheart
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2005), Paperback, 560 pages
Rating:*****

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (2003)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL, Bitter_Grace, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, dessen Handlung in einer anderen Welt spielt
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (Hollerama)
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (riverwillow)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (generalkala)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, das in einer anderen Welt spielt mit einem Mädchen als Protagonistin
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Magical adventures for preteen girls
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (kaledrina)
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
    La Bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Coeur d'Encre montre des personnages de fiction devant s'adapter à la vie réelle tandis que La Bibliothécaire montre des personnes réelles entrant dans des univers de fiction.
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    Bozo and the Storyteller by Tom Glaister (Rubbah)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Booksloth)
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (riverwillow)
    The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (riverwillow)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
    The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (Leishai)

English (365)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (394)
(4.9)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

This definitely was one of my favourite books when I was a kid. I completely fell in love with the idea of being able to - literally- bring your books to life. (But just as with the Hogwarts invitation letters, I'm still waiting for anything to pop out of my books =) ) It sounded magical, even though it doesn't really work out that well in the book.

Inkheart, the first book in the trilogy, I liked best of all. So many characters I liked are introduced in this book besides the wonderful concept. I was completely sucked into the story (pun intended =) ) and couldn't put it down. I finished this in 2 days, which was quite exceptional for me back in 2007. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
I did not care for this book as much as I had hoped I would, as I have heard great things about it. For me, it was a bit tedious and far too predictable (even for a children's/YA novel). The whole thing just felt so condescending I could hardly stand it, and it took a gruesomely long time for me to even bother picking it up after the first few chapters. It took entirely too long for the real action to happen, and the "climax" was quite anticlimactic so I was left feeling dissatisfied. ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |
This book is fiction. There are loads of fun in this book. I myself did not like this book it was too much like peter pan and pirates of the Caribbean mixed together. Those 2 mixed together are not a very good mix. The storyboard made me very confused; if I was 8 or 9 year old I probably would love this book, but I'm not 8 or 9 years old, I'm 13. If you like fairies and characters that jump out of their stories then this is the book for you. ( )
  JaFi14 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Such breathtaking things are going to happen, you cannot even imagine. SPECTACULAR!, FABULOUS! BREATHTAKING! If you've got to read a book it's got to be this one.

Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. ...

When the villains are at last defeated and the denizens of the book tumble through into reality, it is quite disappointing to find them gaudy, small and trivial. Is Funke saying that, while books as books are wonderful, real life has a solid sort of grimness that renders make-believe flimsy? Or is she pleading with us to mix at least a little fantasy with our reality? I don't know. Inkheart leaves you asking such questions. And this is, to my mind, an important thing for a story to do.

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnaghi, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean Buyer,

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in!

Come in!

Shel Silverstein
For Anna, who even put The Lord of The Rings aside for a while to read this book. Could anyone ask for more of a daughter?
And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although I didn't use it for an elf queen.
For Anna, who put 'The Lord Of The Rings' aside for this book. Could anyone ask more of a daughter? And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although i didn't use it for an elf queen.
The book she had been reading was under her pillow, pressing its cover against her ear as if to lure her back into its printed pages.
Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
Why do grown-ups think it's easier for children to bear secrets than the truth?
First published in Germany as Tintenherz by Cecilie Dressler Verlag, Hamburg, 2003.

A young adult fantasy novel where a young girl and her father are able to bring a story's characters to life with equally good and bad results just by reading.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439709105, Paperback)

Meggie’s father, Mo, has an wonderful and sometimes terrible ability. When he reads aloud from books, he brings the characters to life--literally. Mo discovered his power when Maggie was just a baby. He read so lyrically from the the book Inkheart, that several of the book’s wicked characters ended up blinking and cursing on his cottage floor. Then Mo discovered something even worse--when he read Capricorn and his henchmen out of Inkheart, he accidentally read Meggie’s mother in.

Meggie, now a young lady, knows nothing of her father's bizarre and powerful talent, only that Mo still refuses to read to her. Capricorn, a being so evil he would "feed a bird to a cat on purpose, just to watch it being torn apart," has searched for Meggie's father for years, wanting to twist Mo's powerful talent to his own dark means. Finally, Capricorn realizes that the best way to lure Mo to his remote mountain hideaway is to use his beloved, oblivious daughter Meggie as bait!

Cornelia Funke’s imaginative ode to books and book lovers is sure to be enjoyed by fans of her breakout debut, The Thief Lord, and young readers who enjoyed the similarly themed The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:51 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,887,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible