dismiss

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Inkheart (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Cornelia Funke

Series: Inkheart Trilogy (1)

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.
Member:Yfandes
Title:Inkheart
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (2003)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL, Bitter_Grace, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, dessen Handlung in einer anderen Welt spielt
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (HollyMS)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: An adult-geared take on a similar premise.
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Magical adventures for preteen girls
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (generalkala)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, das in einer anderen Welt spielt mit einem Mädchen als Protagonistin
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (riverwillow)
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A story of the unlikely hero.
    Bozo and the Storyteller by Tom Glaister (Rubbah)
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A wonderful fantasy book that shows the consequences of one's actions.
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (kaledrina)
    La bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Coeur d'Encre montre des personnages de fiction devant s'adapter à la vie réelle tandis que La Bibliothécaire montre des personnes réelles entrant dans des univers de fiction.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Booksloth)
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (riverwillow)
    The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (riverwillow)

English (442)  German (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (472)
Although I did enjoy this, I really wish I had read it before seeing the film. I kept thinking I knew where the story was going to go before it did and sometimes it didn't. ( )
  MaryBrigidTurner | Apr 22, 2020 |
Inkheart is a novel about a girl named Meggie and her father, Mo. Mo has the special ability to make story characters come to life when he reads aloud. When an evil man named Capricorn makes his way into the real world, Meggie and her dad go on an adventure to return Capricorn to his book. This book would be wonderful for an ELA classroom. Inkheart instills in students a love for reading, and truly helps them understand that reading can bring books alive in the mind. This book will help students better understand character development and theme. ( )
  Regan521 | Apr 3, 2020 |
Published orig. in German (Hamburg : Cecilie Dressler Verlag, 2003)Advance copy. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
This one's a true classic - a novel about book lovers for book lovers. It's teen low fantasy in a very original yet gripping form. Still, I find it to be the weakest of the trilogy mostly due to its repetitive structure and the slow pace. Not much happens int this first books and things get a whole lot more interesting later on. Still, Funke takes books and reading and makes them magical - in a literal sense. Her language flows well, the characters are well-rounded and the story is thought-provoking and funny. The villains feel a bit flushed out, with the exception of Basta, and the ending isn't much to brag about. The best thing about Inkheart is its original concept and Funke's love of all things literature! ( )
  MrScallops | Jan 7, 2020 |
I just loved this book so much!!
First of all because I love books which talk about books. And then the characters are very interesting! The movie version was good as well and I'm really sorry they didn't continue with the other books :( ( )
  WabisabiGio | Dec 16, 2019 |
Such breathtaking things are going to happen, you cannot even imagine. SPECTACULAR!, FABULOUS! BREATHTAKING! If you've got to read a book it's got to be this one.

Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. ...

When the villains are at last defeated and the denizens of the book tumble through into reality, it is quite disappointing to find them gaudy, small and trivial. Is Funke saying that, while books as books are wonderful, real life has a solid sort of grimness that renders make-believe flimsy? Or is she pleading with us to mix at least a little fantasy with our reality? I don't know. Inkheart leaves you asking such questions. And this is, to my mind, an important thing for a story to do.

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strecker, RainerSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Gli Oscar Mondadori (Bestsellers, 1720)
If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean Buyer,

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in!

Come in!

Shel Silverstein
For Anna, who even put The Lord of The Rings aside for a while to read this book. Could anyone ask for more of a daughter?
And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although I didn't use it for an elf queen.
For Anna, who put 'The Lord Of The Rings' aside for this book. Could anyone ask more of a daughter? And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although i didn't use it for an elf queen.
The book she had been reading was under her pillow, pressing its cover against her ear as if to lure her back into its printed pages.
Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
Why do grown-ups think it's easier for children to bear secrets than the truth?

A young adult fantasy novel where a young girl and her father are able to bring a story's characters to life with equally good and bad results just by reading.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,651,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible