Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Inkheart (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Cornelia Funke

Member:Yfandes
Title:Inkheart
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (2003)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL, Bitter_Grace, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, dessen Handlung in einer anderen Welt spielt
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (HollyMS)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: An adult-geared take on a similar premise.
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Magical adventures for preteen girls
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (generalkala)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, das in einer anderen Welt spielt mit einem Mädchen als Protagonistin
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (riverwillow)
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A story of the unlikely hero.
    Bozo and the Storyteller by Tom Glaister (Rubbah)
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A wonderful fantasy book that shows the consequences of one's actions.
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (kaledrina)
    La bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Coeur d'Encre montre des personnages de fiction devant s'adapter à la vie réelle tandis que La Bibliothécaire montre des personnes réelles entrant dans des univers de fiction.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Booksloth)
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (riverwillow)
    The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (riverwillow)

English (430)  German (10)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (462)
Premise was good, but way too drawn out. I wanted to be done so bad by the end. ( )
  brittanywilson622 | Jul 7, 2018 |
This is a fascinating piece of juvenile literature. I enjoyed the concept of the story elements coming to life. I'm very curious about Book 2, and have it on my to-read list. ( )
  lrquinn | Jul 6, 2018 |
Despite the ill-explained absence of her mother, 12-year-old Meggie is happy living with her father in their house full of much-loved books. But one night a mysterious man shows up calling her father by a very strange name, secrets begin to come out, and Meggie discovers that it is possible for stories to become uncomfortably real.

At well over 500 pages, this felt a bit slow for a kids' book, especially towards the beginning. But once we learned what was actually going on and the story got rolling, I started to quite enjoy it, and I just kept enjoying it more pretty much all the way through. Of course, the fact that it's carefully calculated to appeal to a book-lover's soul helped a lot! (Even if it did lose some book-lover's points for having horrible, horrible things happen to books over the course of the story. Shudder.)

There are two sequels to this, which I happen to already have, and I'll definitely be continuing on with them at some point. ( )
  bragan | Jun 26, 2018 |
Inkheart is a really good book.

The first time around I couldn't put it down, but the second time around it was a bit more difficult. I think I had difficulty with it the second time around due to the fact I could remember enough of it that nothing was surprising.. while at the same time I had forgotten too much of what happened in it to not need a reread before finishing the series. If that makes sense.

The book's plot is original, if a bit slow-paced. It is a book for people who enjoy books, who have read a lot of the genre.. a sort of homage to fantasy in a way that is nice for both kids and adults to read (as opposed to The Dark Tower which is a homage much more geared towards the adult realm of things.)

Inkheart is a book I will gladly keep recommending people and one I will look back on fondly often. The descriptions are beautiful and the translation is well-done. I can't wait to get through Inkspell again and sincerely hope the movie does this book justice. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
A girl learns that her father can bring book characters to life. One night, an evil ruler abducts them both. Now, only magic can change the course of the story! This is the first book in the trilogy.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jun 7, 2018 |
Such breathtaking things are going to happen, you cannot even imagine. SPECTACULAR!, FABULOUS! BREATHTAKING! If you've got to read a book it's got to be this one.

Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. ...

When the villains are at last defeated and the denizens of the book tumble through into reality, it is quite disappointing to find them gaudy, small and trivial. Is Funke saying that, while books as books are wonderful, real life has a solid sort of grimness that renders make-believe flimsy? Or is she pleading with us to mix at least a little fantasy with our reality? I don't know. Inkheart leaves you asking such questions. And this is, to my mind, an important thing for a story to do.

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Butterworth, IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawson, CarolCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnaghi, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean Buyer,

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in!

Come in!

Shel Silverstein
For Anna, who even put The Lord of The Rings aside for a while to read this book. Could anyone ask for more of a daughter?
And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although I didn't use it for an elf queen.
For Anna, who put 'The Lord Of The Rings' aside for this book. Could anyone ask more of a daughter? And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although i didn't use it for an elf queen.
The book she had been reading was under her pillow, pressing its cover against her ear as if to lure her back into its printed pages.
Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
Why do grown-ups think it's easier for children to bear secrets than the truth?

A young adult fantasy novel where a young girl and her father are able to bring a story's characters to life with equally good and bad results just by reading.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439709105, Paperback)

Meggie’s father, Mo, has an wonderful and sometimes terrible ability. When he reads aloud from books, he brings the characters to life--literally. Mo discovered his power when Maggie was just a baby. He read so lyrically from the the book Inkheart, that several of the book’s wicked characters ended up blinking and cursing on his cottage floor. Then Mo discovered something even worse--when he read Capricorn and his henchmen out of Inkheart, he accidentally read Meggie’s mother in.

Meggie, now a young lady, knows nothing of her father's bizarre and powerful talent, only that Mo still refuses to read to her. Capricorn, a being so evil he would "feed a bird to a cat on purpose, just to watch it being torn apart," has searched for Meggie's father for years, wanting to twist Mo's powerful talent to his own dark means. Finally, Capricorn realizes that the best way to lure Mo to his remote mountain hideaway is to use his beloved, oblivious daughter Meggie as bait!

Cornelia Funke’s imaginative ode to books and book lovers is sure to be enjoyed by fans of her breakout debut, The Thief Lord, and young readers who enjoyed the similarly themed The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,165,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible