Inkheart (Movie Cover) by Cornelia Funke

Inkheart (Movie Cover) (original 2003; edition 2009)

by Cornelia Funke

Member:maddieperez
Title:Inkheart (Movie Cover)
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2009), Edition: Rei Mti, Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (2003)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL, Bitter_Grace, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, dessen Handlung in einer anderen Welt spielt
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (HollyMS)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: An adult-geared take on a similar premise.
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Magical adventures for preteen girls
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (generalkala)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, das in einer anderen Welt spielt mit einem Mädchen als Protagonistin
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (riverwillow)
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A story of the unlikely hero.
    Bozo and the Storyteller by Tom Glaister (Rubbah)
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A wonderful fantasy book that shows the consequences of one's actions.
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (kaledrina)
    La bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Coeur d'Encre montre des personnages de fiction devant s'adapter à la vie réelle tandis que La Bibliothécaire montre des personnes réelles entrant dans des univers de fiction.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Booksloth)
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (riverwillow)
    The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (riverwillow)

English (434)  German (10)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (466)
This is still an AMAZING book. I read it before, when I was much younger, and am happy to note that it's still a magical read. There's just something about the idea of turning reading into magic that gets to the very heart of me as someone who loves reading. Now, as an adult reader, I can quibble a little about the relative shallowness of the villains here and such, though there was obviously a great deal to cover including a whole host of characters, but, really, there seems to be little point. The book is a magical read, and I actually really look forward to reading the whole series this time around (I somehow never got the chance before). ( )
  TiffanyAK | Oct 21, 2018 |
One night when Meggie was a young child, her father reads aloud from the book Inkheart, and brings the villain, Capricorn, to life, along with his minions and followers. Now, Meggie and her father, Mo, have to figure out how to harness the magic that brought Capricorn into their world in order to overcome him. They have to figure out how to change the story that changed their lives forever.

I remember reading other books by Cornelia Funke when I was in middle school and absolutely loving them. She writes in a style that creates really vivid pictures in the readers head, and has unique ideas that definitely appeal to young adults, as well as adults who love fantasy. I personally loved the idea of being able to read a book out loud and have the characters come to life. It's something that I would love to be able to do myself, and be able to have the chance to talk to the characters that I've loved all my life. Despite its length, Inkheart reads fairly quickly and is pretty fast paced. It's pretty easy to get sucked into the story, and you just want to read it until you find out what happens next. Funke definitely keeps you engaged the entire time, and sometimes that's hard to do with a novel that is over 500 pages. That being said, I think there were a lot of places where I thought the novel was going to stop, and something happened, and it kept going. While I was still interested in the story enough to keep going, I kind of wish it wasn't so up and down with the plot. Though this may be something that would appeal to younger readers, rather than older ones.

As far as a classroom goes, I think this one would be a good one to keep on the shelf, especially for kids that love fantasy. I don't really see how it could be taught in a classroom setting, but it's a book that students will definitely love, specifically students in middle school, because the main protagonist is 12 years old. However, students of all ages would definitely enjoy this book. ( )
  Amanda7 | Oct 12, 2018 |
One of the first books that really got me into reading, Inkheart seems like a classic to me. This books was filled with adventure and a flowing plot line. My only commentary on the negative side would be that the grandma may have a little bit of a foul mouth for younger readers.
  mitzee333 | Oct 5, 2018 |
Rain fell in the night, a fine, whispering rain. Many years later, she only had to close her eyes and she could hear it, like tiny fingers tapping on the windowpane.

it is said that actions speak louder than words, but here words rule. it is a world of magic and danger is only a page away. that would be ok if you were only an observer of this world looking at it through print on a page, but when by all odds it becomes real and people start coming out of the book and bringing the worst of their world with them.

Cornelia funk shows the reader there is truly a world between the pages of a book, and that it started long before the pages were wright and will end long after you have finished. ( )
  dawbre42 | Sep 13, 2018 |
Premise was good, but way too drawn out. I wanted to be done so bad by the end. ( )
  brittanywilson622 | Jul 7, 2018 |
Such breathtaking things are going to happen, you cannot even imagine. SPECTACULAR!, FABULOUS! BREATHTAKING! If you've got to read a book it's got to be this one.

Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. ...

When the villains are at last defeated and the denizens of the book tumble through into reality, it is quite disappointing to find them gaudy, small and trivial. Is Funke saying that, while books as books are wonderful, real life has a solid sort of grimness that renders make-believe flimsy? Or is she pleading with us to mix at least a little fantasy with our reality? I don't know. Inkheart leaves you asking such questions. And this is, to my mind, an important thing for a story to do.

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Butterworth, IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawson, CarolCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnaghi, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean Buyer,

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in!

Come in!

Shel Silverstein
For Anna, who even put The Lord of The Rings aside for a while to read this book. Could anyone ask for more of a daughter?
And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although I didn't use it for an elf queen.
For Anna, who put 'The Lord Of The Rings' aside for this book. Could anyone ask more of a daughter? And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although i didn't use it for an elf queen.
The book she had been reading was under her pillow, pressing its cover against her ear as if to lure her back into its printed pages.
Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
Why do grown-ups think it's easier for children to bear secrets than the truth?

A young adult fantasy novel where a young girl and her father are able to bring a story's characters to life with equally good and bad results just by reading.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439709105, Paperback)

Meggie’s father, Mo, has an wonderful and sometimes terrible ability. When he reads aloud from books, he brings the characters to life--literally. Mo discovered his power when Maggie was just a baby. He read so lyrically from the the book Inkheart, that several of the book’s wicked characters ended up blinking and cursing on his cottage floor. Then Mo discovered something even worse--when he read Capricorn and his henchmen out of Inkheart, he accidentally read Meggie’s mother in.

Meggie, now a young lady, knows nothing of her father's bizarre and powerful talent, only that Mo still refuses to read to her. Capricorn, a being so evil he would "feed a bird to a cat on purpose, just to watch it being torn apart," has searched for Meggie's father for years, wanting to twist Mo's powerful talent to his own dark means. Finally, Capricorn realizes that the best way to lure Mo to his remote mountain hideaway is to use his beloved, oblivious daughter Meggie as bait!

Cornelia Funke’s imaginative ode to books and book lovers is sure to be enjoyed by fans of her breakout debut, The Thief Lord, and young readers who enjoyed the similarly themed The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,797,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible