Inkheart by Cornelia Caroline Funke

Inkheart (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Cornelia Caroline Funke, Anthea Bell (Translator)

Member:gail208
Title:Inkheart
Authors:Cornelia Caroline Funke
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:New York : Scholastic, [2005], c2003.
Tags:books, reading, fantasy, children's, magic, Inkheart, Funke, translation, German

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (2003)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL, Bitter_Grace, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, dessen Handlung in einer anderen Welt spielt
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (HollyMS)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: An adult-geared take on a similar premise.
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Magical adventures for preteen girls
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (generalkala)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, das in einer anderen Welt spielt mit einem Mädchen als Protagonistin
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (riverwillow)
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A story of the unlikely hero.
    Bozo and the Storyteller by Tom Glaister (Rubbah)
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A wonderful fantasy book that shows the consequences of one's actions.
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (kaledrina)
    La bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Coeur d'Encre montre des personnages de fiction devant s'adapter à la vie réelle tandis que La Bibliothécaire montre des personnes réelles entrant dans des univers de fiction.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Booksloth)
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (riverwillow)
    The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (riverwillow)

English (411)  German (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (442)
I struggle between then vs. now ratings. I really liked this when I first read it, one of the books me and my best book-friend Rachel swapped back and forth continually. The bibliophilia in this novel was one of its main attractions, given that it referenced such a great deal of literature I had read or wanted to read. I don't think I was even very young when I read it, but that didn't matter at the time. I remember being unable to read anything in the series that came after this book because by then it did seem too young for me and I think that I must have hit on the [b:Dark Imaginings|1584923|Dark Imaginings|Robert H. Boyer|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1185495548s/1584923.jpg|1577819] anthology which much better satisfied my phantasmagorical desires. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Inkheart is a book for older children, and the older child in me likes it very much as well.

Inkheart is about stories, their power, their creation and care, and it is about family, and how the bonds of family extend beyond blood relations to include friends and animals and creatures of the imagination. Inkheart is, really, a book mainly about imagination, and Cornelia Funke has startlingly original ideas in this 21st century fairytale. I enjoyed re-reading it very much. ( )
1 vote ahef1963 | Mar 20, 2017 |
This book is mainly for the upper primary but is very adventurous. ( )
  tarynmccosker | Mar 16, 2017 |
It is funny, and a good book to start this amazing series. ( )
  TaylahOrgan | Mar 8, 2017 |
this book is humors but not all the time. i recommend for 10 and up. ( )
  ElizaTelfer | Mar 8, 2017 |
Such breathtaking things are going to happen, you cannot even imagine. SPECTACULAR!, FABULOUS! BREATHTAKING! If you've got to read a book it's got to be this one.

Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. ...

When the villains are at last defeated and the denizens of the book tumble through into reality, it is quite disappointing to find them gaudy, small and trivial. Is Funke saying that, while books as books are wonderful, real life has a solid sort of grimness that renders make-believe flimsy? Or is she pleading with us to mix at least a little fantasy with our reality? I don't know. Inkheart leaves you asking such questions. And this is, to my mind, an important thing for a story to do.

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Butterworth, IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawson, CarolCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnaghi, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean Buyer,

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in!

Come in!

Shel Silverstein
For Anna, who even put The Lord of The Rings aside for a while to read this book. Could anyone ask for more of a daughter?
And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although I didn't use it for an elf queen.
For Anna, who put 'The Lord Of The Rings' aside for this book. Could anyone ask more of a daughter? And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although i didn't use it for an elf queen.
The book she had been reading was under her pillow, pressing its cover against her ear as if to lure her back into its printed pages.
Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
Why do grown-ups think it's easier for children to bear secrets than the truth?

A young adult fantasy novel where a young girl and her father are able to bring a story's characters to life with equally good and bad results just by reading.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439709105, Paperback)

Meggie’s father, Mo, has an wonderful and sometimes terrible ability. When he reads aloud from books, he brings the characters to life--literally. Mo discovered his power when Maggie was just a baby. He read so lyrically from the the book Inkheart, that several of the book’s wicked characters ended up blinking and cursing on his cottage floor. Then Mo discovered something even worse--when he read Capricorn and his henchmen out of Inkheart, he accidentally read Meggie’s mother in.

Meggie, now a young lady, knows nothing of her father's bizarre and powerful talent, only that Mo still refuses to read to her. Capricorn, a being so evil he would "feed a bird to a cat on purpose, just to watch it being torn apart," has searched for Meggie's father for years, wanting to twist Mo's powerful talent to his own dark means. Finally, Capricorn realizes that the best way to lure Mo to his remote mountain hideaway is to use his beloved, oblivious daughter Meggie as bait!

Cornelia Funke’s imaginative ode to books and book lovers is sure to be enjoyed by fans of her breakout debut, The Thief Lord, and young readers who enjoyed the similarly themed The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,503,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible