HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Inkheart by Cornelia Caroline Funke
Loading...

Inkheart (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Cornelia Caroline Funke, Anthea Bell (Translator)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
12,199439207 (3.93)614
Member:gail208
Title:Inkheart
Authors:Cornelia Caroline Funke
Other authors:Anthea Bell (Translator)
Info:New York : Scholastic, [2005], c2003.
Collections:Your library
Rating:****
Tags:books, reading, fantasy, children's, magic, Inkheart, Funke, translation, German

Work details

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (2003)

  1. 180
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL, Bitter_Grace, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, dessen Handlung in einer anderen Welt spielt
  2. 40
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (HollyMS)
  3. 20
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: An adult-geared take on a similar premise.
  4. 10
    The Silver Crown by Robert C. O'Brien (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Magical adventures for preteen girls
  5. 21
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
  6. 10
    Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (generalkala)
  7. 54
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Ebenfalls ein Buch, das in einer anderen Welt spielt mit einem Mädchen als Protagonistin
  8. 21
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (riverwillow)
  9. 00
    The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A story of the unlikely hero.
  10. 00
    Bozo and the Storyteller by Tom Glaister (Rubbah)
  11. 00
    The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (MortimerFolchart)
    MortimerFolchart: A wonderful fantasy book that shows the consequences of one's actions.
  12. 22
    The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint (Kerian)
  13. 11
    The Unwritten Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity by Mike Carey (FFortuna)
  14. 11
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (kaledrina)
  15. 11
    La bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Coeur d'Encre montre des personnages de fiction devant s'adapter à la vie réelle tandis que La Bibliothécaire montre des personnes réelles entrant dans des univers de fiction.
  16. 00
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another world and a girl as main figure.
  17. 22
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (missmaddie)
  18. 12
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (Booksloth)
  19. 01
    Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer (riverwillow)
  20. 01
    The Ghosts by Antonia Barber (riverwillow)

(see all 22 recommendations)

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 614 mentions

English (409)  German (9)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (440)
Showing 1-5 of 409 (next | show all)
Tres estrellas, y explico el porqué. Esta es la historia de Meggie, una niña de 12 años que vive junto a su padre, Mo, y que ama los libros con escándalo, fundamentalmente porque su papá es un restaurador de libros súper seco que la ha criado rodeada de libros y de historias bakanes. La vida es tranquila hasta que llega un tipo medio extraño en medio de la noche, habla con el papá y al otro dia están arrancando a la casa de una tia de la niña. En el camino te explican un poco la historia, y es que hay un tipo (Capricornio) que es todo malote y junto a sus secuaces quieren atrapar a Mo porque él tiene el talento de hacer que mediante la lectura en voz alta, salgan personajes del libro directamente a la vida real. Entremedio nos enteramos que los malotes salieron de un libro en particular, que quieren que Mo les saque más cosas del libro y después destruirlo. Pero Mo no quiere porque... ya, hasta ahí no más, para no spoilear, pero parte wena la cosa.

Lo primero que me gustó del libro es que cada capítulo lo empieza con una cita de un libro relacionada con lo que el capitulo va a tratar, y varias veces citó a "La Princesa Prometida" de William Goldman, y a Roald Dahl. Tú me citas a la Princesa Prometida y altiro te ganaste un queque, así que partimos súper bien, Cornelia. Además, apenas empiezas el libro te das cuenta que viene desde un nerd de libros (la autora) hacia otro nerd de los libros (el lector), porque te mete en la historia cosas como oler el libro o hacerle cariño a la tapa antes de abrirlo, así que te sientes identificada altiro, aunque OBVIAMENTE que yo no hago eso, porque es de gente loca, ná que ver :)

Pero a pesar de esas cosas maravillosas, y de lo mucho que me gustó la idea del libro, siento que me quedó debiendo cosas. La historia pintaba para mucho más, pero se quedó ahí no más. Tal vez es porque su publico objetivo es adolescente/infantil, pero encontré que los personajes estaban muy poco profundizados, y habitualmente los adultos tenían las mismas reacciones tontas de Meggie. En Meggie te lo acepto porque es chica y de un día para otro le cambian el mundo, pero no hay justificación para que todos los personajes sean tan cambiantes o derechamente pasteles. Y si la razón para la liviandad de los personajes es que tu target es el regalón de la casa, no me podís hacer un libro de 600 páginas donde el lector más esmerado se aburre si alargas mucho la historia. Le funcionó a la Rowling, porque ella es la más linda del mundo, pero no le funciona a todo el mundo, así que vayamos resumiendo mejor.

En fin, estuvo divertido, me gustó leer este libro, pero no sé si seguiré leyendo el resto de la saga, a menos que algo me indique que los adultos maduraron :) ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 14, 2017 |
I hesitated a bit between four or five stars here. I really loved the book. It's major premise is that the father of the main character, Meggie, has a special gift. When he reads aloud, characters and sometimes objects come out of the book world and enter our world. Before he realizes what is happening, Mortimer (the father) reads the horrible villain, Capricorn, out of the book "Inkheart" and that is where all the trouble starts. The story is full of magic, scary, exciting and descriptive. My only small quibble was that it did seem to go on at times and the reverence that all the characters held for books sometimes seemed laid on just a little thick. There were times when I sort of felt like saying, "Okay already, I know books are amazing. But get on with the story." Overall, however, it was great. I will definitely read the next one in the series. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Mortimer "Mo" has a wife and a young daughter, and also the ability to read a book out loud and have things from the book materialize in the room with him. This was always a happy fascination with him, until one day he is reading to his wife, and two villains and another fellow materialize, and his wife vanishes into the book. And the villain is truly a heinous one. And all of this happens nine years before the book even begins!

As it opens, Mo is living with his daughter, now 12. He works at the job of re-binding old books. Now, after so many years, the characters he read out of a book into our world show up again, and he, his daughter Meggie, and her great-aunt Elinore (an most passionate book collector) become embroiled in the web of the evil Capricorn.

Inkheart revolves more around the intricacies of the plot than it does with deep characterizations, so saying much more would spoil the fun. And it is a fun book. I didn't think the ending was quite as good as the rest of the book, but it's well worth the read. ( )
  fingerpost | Oct 22, 2016 |
Reread Nov. 2015.

All lovers of books will understand the feeling of being pulled inside a fictional world while reading an especially compelling story...but what if it worked the other way? What if the fictional characters could be pulled out into the real world? Wouldn't that be cool?

Before you answer, consider some of those characters. The anti-heroes. The villains. The monsters. Also consider that some kind of cosmic balance must be maintained. If someone fictional pops out of a story, someone real must pop out of reality. Still, it might be pretty cool, if you could decide who comes and who goes...but of course you can't. That's how Meggie in this story loses her mom.

The characters are, admittedly, fairly one-dimensional. The setting is a simplified, child-eye's view of contemporary Europe. And although it derives from an interesting metaphysical premise, it's not an overly complex story. It is, however, a long one for a book ostensibly intended for pre-teens (over 500 pages in the trade paperback edition I have). I think it's compelling enough to keep a young reader's attention, but it's not a book I'd recommend reading to them as a bedtime story. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
This book was really good except that some parts of it were too drawn out and left me a bit bored. This, it took me weeks to get through the book instead of just days. The story was really interesting and left a lot of room to really think about life, etc. so I continued to read Inkspell and Inkdeath and found those book quiet a bit better and easier to read. ( )
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 409 (next | show all)
Such breathtaking things are going to happen, you cannot even imagine. SPECTACULAR!, FABULOUS! BREATHTAKING! If you've got to read a book it's got to be this one.
 
Inkheart is a book about books, a celebration of and a warning about books. The "Inkheart" of the title is a book. I don't think I've ever read anything that conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading. ...

When the villains are at last defeated and the denizens of the book tumble through into reality, it is quite disappointing to find them gaudy, small and trivial. Is Funke saying that, while books as books are wonderful, real life has a solid sort of grimness that renders make-believe flimsy? Or is she pleading with us to mix at least a little fantasy with our reality? I don't know. Inkheart leaves you asking such questions. And this is, to my mind, an important thing for a story to do.
 

» Add other authors (17 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bell, AntheaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Butterworth, IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawson, CarolCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnaghi, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
If you are a dreamer, come in

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A Hope-er, a Pray-er, a Magic Bean Buyer,

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin

Come in!

Come in!

Shel Silverstein
Dedication
For Anna, who even put The Lord of The Rings aside for a while to read this book. Could anyone ask for more of a daughter?
And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although I didn't use it for an elf queen.
For Anna, who put 'The Lord Of The Rings' aside for this book. Could anyone ask more of a daughter? And for Elinor, who lent me her name, although i didn't use it for an elf queen.
First words
The book she had been reading was under her pillow, pressing its cover against her ear as if to lure her back into its printed pages.
Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.
Quotations
Some books should be tasted some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
Why do grown-ups think it's easier for children to bear secrets than the truth?
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

Book description
A young adult fantasy novel where a young girl and her father are able to bring a story's characters to life with equally good and bad results just by reading.
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439709105, Paperback)

Meggie’s father, Mo, has an wonderful and sometimes terrible ability. When he reads aloud from books, he brings the characters to life--literally. Mo discovered his power when Maggie was just a baby. He read so lyrically from the the book Inkheart, that several of the book’s wicked characters ended up blinking and cursing on his cottage floor. Then Mo discovered something even worse--when he read Capricorn and his henchmen out of Inkheart, he accidentally read Meggie’s mother in.

Meggie, now a young lady, knows nothing of her father's bizarre and powerful talent, only that Mo still refuses to read to her. Capricorn, a being so evil he would "feed a bird to a cat on purpose, just to watch it being torn apart," has searched for Meggie's father for years, wanting to twist Mo's powerful talent to his own dark means. Finally, Capricorn realizes that the best way to lure Mo to his remote mountain hideaway is to use his beloved, oblivious daughter Meggie as bait!

Cornelia Funke’s imaginative ode to books and book lovers is sure to be enjoyed by fans of her breakout debut, The Thief Lord, and young readers who enjoyed the similarly themed The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:03 -0400)

(see all 7 descriptions)

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 13 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
81 avail.
401 wanted
5 pay13 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.93)
0.5 8
1 45
1.5 14
2 184
2.5 53
3 661
3.5 191
4 1146
4.5 131
5 1081

Audible.com

4 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,786,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible