Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben

Fool Me Once

by Harlan Coben

English (70)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (72)
Library copy.
Fool Me Once is probably the best murder mystery I've ever read. He could've tipped his hand early; he didn't. It could've been formulaic; it wasn't. It could've stayed a snarl of confusing facts that makes untangling Christmas lights look like untying a slip knot; it didn't.
I didn't give this 5 stars because I prefer entertainment that has no cuss words and is absolutely free of innuendo. This one doesn't qualify, but it also wasn't littered with cussing, nor did it make more than 1 passing reference to something relatively innocuous. I'd rank it about with a Louis L'Amour book on those scores, had he grown up in a society where foul language was the accepted norm. ( )
  lcarter11 | Mar 8, 2019 |
Maya is a former special ops pilot. She was forced to retire from the military when a video of a botched mission killing civilians was released on a whistle blower sight. She has not lived a happy life in the last few years. Her sister was murdered, her career is in a shambles, she suffers from PTSD and the final blow is her husband is also murdered.
When Maya sees her husband on her nanny cam, things start to happen fast and furious. I could not put the book down. Maya begins to investigate the murder of her sister, is it tied in to the murder of her husband? Her two year old daughter, Lily, is the one thing that is grounding her at this time. Her friends, Shane and Eileen, try to help but she won't let them. She can't risk anyone else getting hurt. Is death following her, as her brother-in-law said. This is a taut thriller that will hook you and keep you reading. I wanted to find out who killed Joe and Clare as much as Maya did. The characters were well rounded from her friends to her immediate relatives. The only ones that were not really fleshed out were Joe's family, the Burketts but that did not harm the story in any way. Another Coben book that I had no clue about the ending until it came. Just what I expect from a thriller. I am glad I read this one, I almost missed it. I recommend it to Coben lovers as well as anyone who loves a suspenseful thriller. 4.5 stars for me. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Whirlwind story about Maya and her husband, Joe, who was murdered, and Maya trying to get through her PTSD. Joe was murdered just a few months after Maya's sister was murdered. Are they linked? Who can Maya trust? Who is truly helping Maya and who is lying? Fast moving thriller, and as with every Harlan Coben book, there is a twist that you won't see coming! Enjoyable! ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
There were many twists to this story, most I didn't see coming, which was a lot of fun. Maya's husband has been murdered, oh, and her sister was murdered four months before that. Are they connected and if so, how? As the answers slowly come out the story gets stranger and stranger, yet tighter and tighter. Fantastic writing, very fast paced, really kept you guessing and a well thought out ending that didn't just end with something convoluted. I can't wait to read more from Coben! ( )
  Jen_Bartels | Dec 1, 2018 |
Description

As Maya tries to investigate what she saw on the nanny cam and the police investigate her husband’s murder, many questions arise but Coben doesn’t give any answers until nearly the end. This kept me interested and wondering what was going on. Everyone seemed suspicious and to be hiding things, including Maya. I thought the characters and their actions were mostly plausible, if a stretch at times. Overall, a fun read that kept me trying to figure things out. ( )
  gaylebutz | Nov 30, 2018 |

Harlan Cobenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Busk, SisselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jansen in de Wal, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
LaVoy, JanuaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kun je alles vertrouwen wat je met je eigen ogen ziet?
Voor Charlotte.
Hoe oud je ook wordt,
je blijft altijd mijn kleine meisje.
Ze begroeven Joe drie dagen nadat hij was vermoord.

In the course of eight consecutive #1 New York Times bestsellers, millions of readers have discovered Harlan Coben’s page-turning thrillers, filled with his trademark edge-of-your-seat suspense and gut-wrenching emotion. In Fool Me Once, Coben once again outdoes himself.

Former special ops pilot Maya, home from the war, sees an unthinkable image captured by her nanny cam while she is at work: her two-year-old daughter playing with Maya’s husband, Joe—who had been brutally murdered two weeks earlier. The provocative question at the heart of the mystery: Can you believe everything you see with your own eyes, even when you desperately want to? To find the answer, Maya must finally come to terms with deep secrets and deceit in her own past before she can face the unbelievable truth about her husband—and herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 03 Oct 2015 16:11:31 -0400)

"#1 New York Times bestseller Harlan Coben delivers his next impossible-to-put-down thriller. In the course of eight consecutive #1 New York Times bestsellers, millions of readers have discovered Harlan Coben's page-turning thrillers, filled with his trademark edge-of-your-seat suspense and gut-wrenching emotion. In Fool Me Once, Coben once again outdoes himself. Former special ops pilot Maya, home from the war, sees an unthinkable image captured by her nanny cam while she is at work: her two-year-old daughter playing with Maya's husband, Joe--who had been brutally murdered two weeks earlier. The provocative question at the heart of the mystery: Can you believe everything you see with your own eyes, even when you desperately want to? To find the answer, Maya must finally come to terms with deep secrets and deceit in her own past before she can face the unbelievable truth about her husband--and herself"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,515,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible