The Institute (The Institute, #1) by Kayla…

The Institute (The Institute, #1)

by Kayla Howarth

Dystopian with an interesting setting. While the world has certainly been changed by a cataclysmic event, the world is not in ruins. I like that it depicts a government dealing with the disaster in a realistic way as opposed to having everything go to hell. I also like the fact that the country where this story takes place is never named. It’s a nowhere island, which could therefore be anywhere.
The characters are relatable and mostly likeable. I don’t read a lot of YA because the characters tend to be more immature than any teen I’ve ever met, but I didn’t encounter that problem here.
I’m a sucker for an interesting antagonist, and I would’ve liked to know more about Drew’s motivations. All in all, this is a promising start to the series.
  ChaosCaitlin | May 23, 2017 |
[The Institute] by [Kayla Howarth] is an intense thriller with a futuristic lean. The main character Allira and her family have spent their lives hiding that her brother was "defective". "Defectives" go to the Institute where they are said to be kept safe and taken care of, but no one who has gone there is heard from again. Will one mistake trip them all up and find the true nature of the Institute?

The characters were typical for a YA audience but definitely good. The intertwining of the relationships and emotions makes this plot. There were some unexpected surprises as well as issues that are still up in the air. Guess the second book is a must read to clear those questions up. ( )
  MsHooker | Jul 27, 2016 |

Allira Daniels will do anything to keep her family safe from the Institute. They claim to protect the Defectives, but really the Defectives are trapped and segregated. Allira's brother, Shilah, is not dangerous like everyone sssumes all Defectives are. He just sees things before they happen and Allira knows that if anyone finds out, they will turn on the entire Daniels family. So they live by one simple rule: be invisible.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,301,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible