A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir

A Torch Against the Night

by Sabaa Tahir

Series: An Ember in the Ashes (2)

After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake a perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.Laia is determined to break into Kauf - the Empire's most secure and dangerous prison - to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars' survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom. But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene - Elias's former friend and the Empire's newest Blood Shrike. Bound to Marcus's will, Helene faces a torturous mission of her own - one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape... and kill them both.… (more)

English (42)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
Holy mother of plot twists, Batman. Page 338 was my favorite, I cannot get over the direction this took. All through the end of the book the voices in my head were shrieking, and there was another small twist at the end that I enjoy the direction of. Book 1 didn't excite me, but this one was fantastic and I am really looking forward to Book 3 and seeing where these characters go. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
The story continued to move while bringing you into the characters more and more. Loved that the end wrapped up at a point that seemed right but hate that we have to wait until sometime in 2018 for the next book...urgh!
  ltl1red | Jul 9, 2019 |
This book review can also be found on my blog, among all other awesome things:

A huge thank you for sending me over this amazing book!

Even though I didn't have the opportunity to read the first book, I had the chance to read this one, and it was definitely breathtaking.

There are, of course, parts that are connected to the first part, but after the first 30-ish pages, you get the hang of it, and the story just follows itself, and you can't even feel that you haven't read the first one.

This book is full of adventure, different background stories, unexpected moments and actions that will make your jaw fall on the ground time after time.

All of the characters are unique, special, and I fell in love with all their personalities. Especially Helene, with her strong character and strength. I also fell in love with Elias and his caring about others, even though he would never admit.

I would definitely recommend this book for all out there that love adventure and glorious moments! ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
Okay, so I didn't care much for An Ember in the Ashes (aka book one), and so wasn't really sure I wanted to read this book. But apparently I'd already put it on hold on OverDrive, so it showed up the other day when I went to go listen to another audiobook.

This book was so much better.

The plot itself went from completely predictable and cliche to only a little predictable (surprising me several times) and just a few cliche moments. I felt very satisfied and a little sad when I finished this book. The ending was beautiful and I'm okay with the series ending there, even though there will be two more books. It's a bittersweet ending.

Can't wait for book three! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
Loved it... Just un-put-downable! ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |

Sabaa Tahirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hardingham, FionaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McEwan, KatharineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, my father, Mer, and Boon
All that I am, I owe to you.
How did they find us so fast?

Elias and Laia are running for their lives. After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake a perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.

Laia is determined to break into Kauf—the Empire’s most secure and dangerous prison—to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars’ survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom.

But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene—Elias’s former friend and the Empire’s newest Blood Shrike.

Bound to Marcus’s will, Helene faces a torturous mission of her own—one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape…and kill them both.
From a spark to the
flame: all the Empire is
thrown into chaos.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,310,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible