Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal

Ghost Talkers (edition 2016)

by Mary Robinette Kowal

Ginger Stuyvesant, an American heiress living in London during World War I, is engaged to Captain Benjamin Harford, an intelligence officer. Ginger is a medium for the Spirit Corps, a special Spiritualist force. Each soldier heading for the front is conditioned to report to the mediums of the Spirit Corps when they die so the Corps can pass instant information about troop movements to military intelligence.While Ben is away at the front, Ginger discovers the presence of a traitor. Without the presence of her fiance to validate her findings, the top brass thinks she's just imagining things. Even worse, it is clear that the Spirit Corps is now being directly targeted by the German war effort. Left to her own devices, Ginger has to find out how the Germans are targeting the Spirit Corps and stop them. This is a difficult and dangerous task for a woman of that era, but this time both the spirit and the flesh are willing...… (more)
Member:walrii
Title:Ghost Talkers
Authors:Mary Robinette Kowal
Info:Audible Studios, Audible Audio
Tags:to-read, on-deck

Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal

Fun, slightly scooby-ish tale. Dug the main premise and its focus on often-erased identities in WWI.

Chicago Nerd discussion notes: http://positronchicago.blogspot.com/2016/10/chicago-nerds-ghost-talkers.html ( )
  jakecasella | Sep 21, 2020 |
i am sad and betrayed, but i really liked this! ( )
  hexenlibrarian | May 19, 2020 |
Review to come

Review to be posted on August 2nd per publisher request.
In this alternate World War One historical, the British are using mediums to speak to soldiers right after death so they can get up to date intelligence on troop movements. With conditioning during boot camp and a small blood sample soldiers give report and pass along a final message. Ginger is an American working as a medium and has a British fiancée. When she gets a report from a soldier that was murdered near their camp because he overheard something some spies were plotting to do away with the mediums her report is ignored since the soldier was discredited as someone trying to get out of going back to the front. Being a woman and not in the direct chain of command she tries to do what she can to find out who is plotting to kill them.

This book had me crying several times while I was reading it. It was a great read and so far everything I have read from Mary Robinette Kowal has not disappointed.

Digital review copy provided by the publisher through NetGalley
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
I loved the concept--a "spirit corps" collecting intelligence from dead soldiers in the First World War--and I blitzed through this book (it's very readable). Occasionally the pragmatic details got in the way of appreciating the emotional hits, and overall there was a trend of things happening because they needed to, rather than being ineluctable consequences of the characters. But overall, I enjoyed reading. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
3 1/2 actually... I liked it, but also found it hard to take Kowal's charming tone with the horrors of WWI. It's a ghost story with mediums and spies and a sad love story. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |

Mary Robinette Kowalprimary authorall editionscalculated
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The War Sonnets: The Soldier

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

—Rubert Brooke
For my niece, Katherine Harrison
"The Germans were flanking us at Delville Wood when I died."

Mary Robinette Kowal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Mary Robinette Kowal chatted with LibraryThing members from Sep 13, 2010 to Sep 26, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,765,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible