Three Hands in the Fountain (Marcus Didius…

Three Hands in the Fountain (Marcus Didius Falco Mysteries) (original 1997; edition 2001)

by Lindsey Davis (Author)

Member:antiquary
Title:Three Hands in the Fountain (Marcus Didius Falco Mysteries)
Authors:Lindsey Davis (Author)
Info:Warner Books (2001), Paperback
Rating:**
Tags:English literature, modern literature, historical fiction, mystery, Roman setting, Falco

Three Hands in the Fountain by Lindsey Davis (1997)

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
Roman informer and dry wit personified, Marcus Didius Falco investigates the mystery of body parts left in the city's water supply. I found the mystery and seeking out of the criminal quite slow going. However, the character development in this one was great. We learn a lot about Falco's friend Petronius Longus and also a few snippets about Falco's nemesis Anacrites. All in all, good fun even though it's not a compulsive page turner. ( )
  cathymoore | Feb 1, 2014 |
While I usually like the Falco mysteries, I found the mutilations in this one excessively grim. ( )
  antiquary | Jan 16, 2013 |
Number nine has Falco firmly back in Rome, now a paterfamilias, and looking for a partner. He teams up with his friend Petro, in search of a serial killer. The highlight of this one, for me, is the emergence of Falco's mother's fondness for his enemy, the chief spy. ( )
  annbury | Sep 6, 2010 |
A very light read, but extremely enjoyable number 9 in the Falco series, which seems to be almost all I am reading this year. I will have to choose something a bit more substantial so I feel like my brain is actually working a bit towards the end of the year! ( )
  notmyrealname | Nov 8, 2009 |
When a deteriorated hand shows up in a fountain in Falco's neighborhood, a hunt is on for why the water supply has body parts in it. The search reveals the work of a serial murderer of women who dumps his work into the local and rural aqueducts leading to Rome at the time of the Games. A true detective story this time.
  nolak | Aug 1, 2009 |

Lindsey Davisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodska, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"When [the water pipe] has reached the city, build a reservoir with a distribution tank in three compartments. . . from the central tank pipes will be laid to all the basins as foundtions; from the second tank to the baths so they may yield annual income to the state; and from the third, to private houses, so that water for public use will not run short."
Vitruvius
"I ask you! Just compare with the vast monuments of this vital aqueduct network those useless Pyramids, or the good-for-nothing tourist attractions of the Greeks!"
Frontius, tr. Trevor Hodge
"Let's have a drink--and leave out the water!"
Petronius Longus of Falco & Partner
For Heather and Oliver
my wonderful Agent and Editor
(who really deserve a dedication each):
with my thanks for the first ten
and here's to ten more!
The fountain was not working.

1st edition paperback, vg++

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:37 -0400)

Marcus Didius Falco and his laddish friend Petronius find their local fountain has been blocked - by a gruesomely severed human hand. Soon other body parts are being found in the aqueducts and sewers. Public panic overcomes official indifference, and the Aventine partners are commissioned to investigate. Women are being abducterd during festivals, and the next Games are only days away. As the heat rises in the Circus Maximus, they face a race against time and a strong test of their friendship. And they know that the sadistic killer lurks somewhere on the festive streets of Rome.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible