Three Hands in the Fountain (Marcus Didius…

Three Hands in the Fountain (Marcus Didius Falco Mysteries) (original 1997; edition 2001)

by Lindsey Davis

Member:antiquary
Title:Three Hands in the Fountain (Marcus Didius Falco Mysteries)
Authors:Lindsey Davis (Author)
Info:Warner Books (2001), Paperback
Rating:**
Tags:English literature, modern literature, historical fiction, mystery, Roman setting, Falco

Three Hands in the Fountain by Lindsey Davis (1997)

English (10)  Spanish (1)  All languages (11)
Roman private informer Marcus Didius Falco (73 AD) finds himself investigating the donation of three severed hands into the Roman aqueduct system. Another mesmerizing look at Rome from the grassroots as produced by the mind and incredible research talents of Scotswoman Lindsay Davis. BBC is apparently developing Falco's stories for BBC...I look forward anxiously to their arrival at PBS.
  NickHowes | Jul 29, 2015 |
Roman informer and dry wit personified, Marcus Didius Falco investigates the mystery of body parts left in the city's water supply. I found the mystery and seeking out of the criminal quite slow going. However, the character development in this one was great. We learn a lot about Falco's friend Petronius Longus and also a few snippets about Falco's nemesis Anacrites. All in all, good fun even though it's not a compulsive page turner. ( )
  cathymoore | Feb 1, 2014 |
While I usually like the Falco mysteries, I found the mutilations in this one excessively grim. ( )
  antiquary | Jan 16, 2013 |
Number nine has Falco firmly back in Rome, now a paterfamilias, and looking for a partner. He teams up with his friend Petro, in search of a serial killer. The highlight of this one, for me, is the emergence of Falco's mother's fondness for his enemy, the chief spy. ( )
  annbury | Sep 6, 2010 |
A very light read, but extremely enjoyable number 9 in the Falco series, which seems to be almost all I am reading this year. I will have to choose something a bit more substantial so I feel like my brain is actually working a bit towards the end of the year! ( )
  notmyrealname | Nov 8, 2009 |

Lindsey Davisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodska, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"When [the water pipe] has reached the city, build a reservoir with a distribution tank in three compartments. . . from the central tank pipes will be laid to all the basins as foundtions; from the second tank to the baths so they may yield annual income to the state; and from the third, to private houses, so that water for public use will not run short."
Vitruvius
"I ask you! Just compare with the vast monuments of this vital aqueduct network those useless Pyramids, or the good-for-nothing tourist attractions of the Greeks!"
Frontius, tr. Trevor Hodge
"Let's have a drink--and leave out the water!"
Petronius Longus of Falco & Partner
For Heather and Oliver
my wonderful Agent and Editor
(who really deserve a dedication each):
with my thanks for the first ten
and here's to ten more!
The fountain was not working.

1st edition paperback, vg++

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

When body parts begin turning up in the aqueduct of 1st century Rome, authorities decide a serial killer is at work. The case is given to PI Marcus Didius Falco. By the author of Time to Depart.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,462,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible