Time to Depart by Lindsey Davis

Time to Depart (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Lindsey Davis

Member:floating_lush
Title:Time to Depart
Authors:Lindsey Davis
Info:ARROW (RAND) (1996), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:read 2013, fiction

Time to Depart by Lindsey Davis (1995)

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
I love Falco. Reading this book was like catching up with an old friend. If possible his wit has become even more acerbic than in his previous outings. This instalment focuses on Falco's relationship with his friend Petronious Longius and his increased domestication by the beautiful Helena Justina. I can only hope that these books continue to be as enjoyable as I progress through the series. ( )
  cathymoore | Nov 25, 2013 |
The seventh in the series takes Falco back to Rome, where he and his friend Petronius (as close as Rome got to a policeman) are chasing bad guys. Lots of family complications, as usual, and -- as usual -- a good read. I don't think I will reread this one, though, the way I have and will the first several books in the series ( )
  annbury | Sep 6, 2010 |
Marcus and Helena are back in Rome, and immediately pulled into a mess. Marcus's large and unruly family is up to all kinds of no good, and Marcus is the one appointed to fix them all. In addition, his downstairs neighbor is marrying his landlord, and he gets talked into reading the auspices. And, someone is up to no good in the criminal underworld.

In short, another ordinary day for our hero! This isn't one of my favorite volumes, largely because too many disparate threads came together too neatly. However, it's always nice to see Helena take on a problem of her own. Her family gets a look-in, and this is our first meeting with her "respectable" brother. Plus, she's pregnant. (Is Marcus happy? He can't decide.) ( )
  teckelvik | May 7, 2010 |
I know I have read a lot of these this year, but my local library has them all and I am, ever-so-slightly, addicted. Number 7 in the Falco series returns to Rome's criminal underbelly which, in my view, is where Davis's best work occurs. I think this is because I am so much more familiar with Rome, its geography and its customs than when the stories move out into the empire. When Balibinus Pius, who is a bit like The Godfather, is sentenced to death, he takes advantage of the time honoured Roman tradition in capital cases, 'time to depart', and hops on a boat into exile. The usual Falco disasters strike from precisely that point onwards. ( )
  notmyrealname | May 31, 2009 |
A mafia type criminal is put on a boat to depart Rome, rather than be executed, but there are nefarious goings-on in Rome related to him that raises suspicion. Marcus must also find a new apartment for his pregnant Helena, and is to give the vows for a wedding as part of the deal.
  nolak | May 14, 2009 |

Lindsey Davisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sabaté, HernánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaccarini, Maria ElenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Helen with thanks for once keeping me alive with Chanel (and with gin...)
'I still can't believe I've put the bastard away for good!' Petronius muttered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446605913, Mass Market Paperback)

Balbinus Pius, the most notorious gangster in Emperor Vespasian's Rome, has been convicted of a capital crime at last. A quirk of Roman law, however, allows citizens condemned to death "time to depart" and find exile outside the empire. Now as every hoodlum in Rome scrambles to take over Balbinus' operations, private eye Marcus Didius Falco has to deal with an unprecedented wave of crime--and the sneaking suspicion that Balbinus' exile may not really be so permanent after all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:31 -0400)

Petronius Longus, captain of the Aventine watch and Falco's oldest friend, has finally nailed one of Rome's top criminals. Under Roman law citizens are not imprisoned but are allowed 'time to depart' into exile outside the empire. So one dark night, Petro and Falco put the evil Balbinus aboard ship.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible