Two for the Lions by Lindsey Davis

Two for the Lions (1998)

by Lindsey Davis

Series: Marcus Didius Falco (10)

The first century Roman detective, Marcus Didius Falco, investigates the world of gladiators after one is murdered. The probe takes him to Tripoli where gladiator handlers buy their lions.

English (12)  Spanish (2)  All languages (14)
Because the incident with Falco's brother-in-law, Famia, is going to be mentioned in some of the later books in this series, see chapter 58 of Two For the Lions for what happened.
  JalenV | Mar 15, 2018 |
The historical research that goes into each of this author's novels is thorough and fascinating. In this book, Lindsey Davis deals with gladiators, beasts, and criminals who face off in the arena; and there is a sub-plot involving the search for a now-extinct plant which was popular at the time, silphium. Some of Davis' novels in the series are closely paired , and this seems to be one of them as it ends rather abruptly. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Aug 21, 2016 |
Private informer Marcus Didius Falco is drawn into the investigation of the death of a lion used for executing criminals in the arena. He and Helena Justina wind up in the Roman provinces in North Africa, trying to unravel the mystery which also involves the murder of a gladiator. Lindsay Davis again describes the street life of ancient Rome in a very convincing manner, filled with detail. This time she talks a bit about gladiators and, to a greater extent, the bestiary who provided wild animals to the Roman arena. Excellent novel although I found the denouement more complicated than most. ( )
  NickHowes | Aug 11, 2015 |
Our intrepid detective M.Didius Falco is thrown into the murky world of the gladiator ring. There is the usually dry wit and wry commentary from our hero Falco and the ongoing character development which keeps this series fresh continues as we learn more about Falco's brother in law Quintus and his new business partner and ex arch enemy Anacrites.
As good, if not better than those previous in the series. ( )
  cathymoore | Jun 24, 2014 |
Funnier than some of the others in the later part of this series ( )
  antiquary | Jan 19, 2013 |

Lindsey Davisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sabaté, HernánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabaté, HernánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The tenth Falco novel is dedicated with the author's affection and gratitude to all the reads who have made this continuing series possible
My partner and I had been well set up to earn our fortunes until we were told about the corpse.
I was a Roman. As the poet said, my mission was bringing civilized pursuits to the known world. In the face of tenacious opposition, I believed you whacked them, taxed them, absorbed them, patronized them, then proscribed human sacrifice, dressed them in togas, and discouraged them from openly insulting Rome. That done, you put in a strong governor, and left them to get on with it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,197,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible