Venetia by Georgette Heyer

Venetia (1958)

by Georgette Heyer

Recently added byClematisScott, private library, rahkan, CindyBooks, vittithing, Absurdity, rhese, frogwindy

English (78)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (81)
Venetia Lanyon is an orphaned eldest daughter who has spent most of her twenty-five years living a small and isolated life in a small community in Yorkshire. With only her younger brother, Aubrey, for company, Venetia's life is not as adventure-filled as she'd like and her two local suitors are more irritating than in anyway suitable to her personality. However, when her notorious rake neighbour, Lord Damerel arrives at his country estate he turns her quiet country life upside down.

An utter delight from start to finish, this is an excellent example of Heyer at her writing peak. The characters are fantastically well-drawn and while I was briefly concerned at Damerel's introduction that I was going to have to deal with an obnoxious alpha male, his character very quickly reveals far more depths. Venetia is bright, funny, and genuine and remains a delight throughout even in the midst of all the craziness that comes from her various family members and her two ridiculous suitors. An excellent point for sampling if you've never tried Heyer's Regency romances. ( )
  MickyFine | May 13, 2019 |
One of those books where you know who will get together in the end, so the enjoyment is in the journey, and the writing in this one goes down easy. The subplot about Venetia's brother's wife and her mother moving in seemed unnecessary. I wish my cover was like this one; mine is a cringe-worthy 1970s romance cover on a mass market paperback. ( )
  ReadMeAnother | Nov 26, 2018 |
I'm not an avid romance reader--I've certainly read my share of books with romances in them, from Middlemarch to, most recently, Mr. Weston's Good Wine, but I don't seek out romance novels. Just making that clear, in case this is a particularly good example of the genre--I'm holding it to the same standards as all other books, whether written by Faulkner, LeGuin, or Koontz.

It was a pleasant, charming read, with many pleasant, charming characters.

Ms. Heyer appears to have discovered the word "nuncheon" (an afternoon snack) and as a consequence very few characters ever ate breakfast, lunch, supper, tea, dinner, or late night snacks--nope, it's nuncheon almost all the time. That took me out of the story a bit. But my biggest complaint, which keeps this from 4 stars, is that after the initial set-up and development, nothing happened until halfway through the book. The second half is full of incident and new characters, but the first half is a bit of a slog--we meet some attractive people, and then they have conversations and gradually get closer with no impediments whatsoever--which is great in real life, but not so great in fiction. ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
This book was a pleasant surprise.

It caught my eye solely because Richard Armitage narrates the audiobook. I figured, hey, even if I can't stand the story, at least I'll get to listen to an amazing voice for a few hours.

Lo and behold, I got invested in the story. I loved the character of Venetia. And I'm anxiously awaiting my chance to listen to some more audiobooks. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nash, PhyllidaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'A fox got in amongst the hens last night, and ravished our best layer,' remarked Miss Lanyon.
"Beyond my gates I make you no promises: don't trust me! Within them...I'll remember that I was bred a gentleman."

Twenty-five years Venetia Lanyon's beauty rivaled only by her sensibility. Intelligent and independent, her future seems safe and predictable. Lovely Venetia despairs of ever meeting the handsome hero of her romantic dreams, but is nearly resigned to spinsterhood, thanks to the enormous amount of responsibility she inherited with a Yorkshire estate and an invalid but precocious brother, Aubrey. She lives in comfortable seclusion in rural Yorkshire, she has never been longer than Harrogate, nor enjoyed the lackluster attentions of any but her two wearisomely persistent suitors. She can not accept to marry the respectable but dull Edward Yardley, she will only marry for love.

Then her long-absent neighbor, thirty-eight years Lord Jasper Damerel, returns home to Yorkshire. In one extraordinary encounter, she meets the infamous neighbor, who knows only by reputation - a gamester, a shocking rake, and a man of sadly unsteady character - and before she knows better, is she in a libertine whose way of life has scandalised the North Riding for years. Lord Damerel found Venetia to be the most truly engaging and wittily perverse female he had encountered in all his life, and determined to woo and win her, he pursues her with a passionate abandon that is soon the talk of the ton. And after her encounter with the dashing, dangerous rake, Venetia's well-ordered life is turned upside down, and she embarks upon a courtship with him that scandalises and horrifies the whole community.

But Venetia has not intention of losing her heart to the rakish lord until she is sure that beneath her swashbuckling ways and shocking manners lies to tend heart belonging to her. And Lord Damerel would marry her in a heartbeat if he did not think it would ruin her. Then she discovers a shocking family secret that changes everything ... It was therefore particularly provoking to find that occasion, Lord Damerel could make up his mind to be idiotically noble....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373771665, Mass Market Paperback)

She wasn't looking for love . . .
Her beauty rivaled only by her sensibility, Ventia Lanyon is nearly resigned to spinsterhood, thanks to the enormous amount of responsibility she inherited with a Yorkshire estate, an invalid brother and the lackluster efforts of two wearisomely persistent suitors. Then she meets her neighbor, the infamous Lord Dameral, a charming rake shunned by polite society -- exactly the type of man that a woman of quality should stay away from . . .

He wasn't looking for redemption . . .
Though his scandalous past and deepest secerts give Ventia every reason to mistrust him, a rogue always gets what he wants. Without warning, his demanding kiss threatens to become a bachelor's undoing . . . and a spinster's most passionate awakening.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

Venetia features a remarkably independent heroine who falls deeply in love with the wrong man. Venetia Lanyon lives a quiet life until she meets her notorious neighbor Jasper, Lord Damerel, who would marry her in a heartbeat if he didn't think it would ruin her. Then she discovers a shocking family secret that changes everything ... "Georgette Heyer is unbeatable."--Sunday Telegraph "Miss Heyer has done it again in this vivacious story of Regency society ... Venetia is an amazing woman even for today."--Library Journal.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,626,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible