Venetia by Georgette Heyer

Venetia (1958)

by Georgette Heyer

English (75)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (78)
I'm not an avid romance reader--I've certainly read my share of books with romances in them, from Middlemarch to, most recently, Mr. Weston's Good Wine, but I don't seek out romance novels. Just making that clear, in case this is a particularly good example of the genre--I'm holding it to the same standards as all other books, whether written by Faulkner, LeGuin, or Koontz.

It was a pleasant, charming read, with many pleasant, charming characters.

Ms. Heyer appears to have discovered the word "nuncheon" (an afternoon snack) and as a consequence very few characters ever ate breakfast, lunch, supper, tea, dinner, or late night snacks--nope, it's nuncheon almost all the time. That took me out of the story a bit. But my biggest complaint, which keeps this from 4 stars, is that after the initial set-up and development, nothing happened until halfway through the book. The second half is full of incident and new characters, but the first half is a bit of a slog--we meet some attractive people, and then they have conversations and gradually get closer with no impediments whatsoever--which is great in real life, but not so great in fiction. ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
This book was a pleasant surprise.

It caught my eye solely because Richard Armitage narrates the audiobook. I figured, hey, even if I can't stand the story, at least I'll get to listen to an amazing voice for a few hours.

Lo and behold, I got invested in the story. I loved the character of Venetia. And I'm anxiously awaiting my chance to listen to some more audiobooks. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |
A classic Regency romance set shortly after the Battle of Waterloo. One of my favourite Heyers.
  Maddz | Aug 6, 2017 |
Aspects of this Heyer romance are great, with intriguing characterisations. Unfortunately, idiocy occasionally overwhelms the story such as [Spoilers] the unexpected arrival of Conway's bride and her extremely unpleasant mother (imho, Venetia could well have depressed the mother's pretensions); then the revelation that Venetia's mother is alive and living in London. This was a weak gambit to make her acceptable to the socially scandalous Lord Damerel. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jul 1, 2017 |
Venetia would in all likelihood be considered a spinster at 25 if it wasn't for her great beauty. Thanks to her reclusive widower father, she has never been out of Yorkshire, let alone experienced a London season. With her father now dead and her elder brother with the army in France, Venetia is managing the family home and looking after her disabled younger brother. She is also fending off two unwanted suitors. Just as she's resigned herself to a life of spinsterhood, she meets the notorious Dameral from the neighboring estate. With Dameral's eye for a pretty face and Venetia's inexperience, their mutual attraction is inevitable. What surprises them both is the friendship that quickly grows between them. Obstacles, some expected and some unexpected, inevitably come between them, but Venetia is determined to remove them and find happiness with her dear rake.

I enjoyed the friendship between Venetia and Damerel, and I loved that they drew Venetia's younger brother, Aubrey, the long-time household help, and even the family dogs into their circle of affection. The humor derived mainly from Venetia and Aubrey's quick-thinking wit in responding to their antagonists' attempts to assert their will. I did wonder, though, how Venetia and Aubrey could be so conversant with the current slang in their social isolation. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jun 27, 2017 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nash, PhyllidaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'A fox got in amongst the hens last night, and ravished our best layer,' remarked Miss Lanyon.
"Beyond my gates I make you no promises: don't trust me! Within them...I'll remember that I was bred a gentleman."

Lord Damerel found Venetia to be the most truly engaging and wittily perverse female he had encountered in all his thirty-eight years.

Venetia knew her neighbour for a gamester, a shocking rake, and a man of sadly unsteady character. It was therefore particularly provoking to find that given occasion, Damerel could make up his mind to be quite idiotically noble...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373771665, Mass Market Paperback)

She wasn't looking for love . . .
Her beauty rivaled only by her sensibility, Ventia Lanyon is nearly resigned to spinsterhood, thanks to the enormous amount of responsibility she inherited with a Yorkshire estate, an invalid brother and the lackluster efforts of two wearisomely persistent suitors. Then she meets her neighbor, the infamous Lord Dameral, a charming rake shunned by polite society -- exactly the type of man that a woman of quality should stay away from . . .

He wasn't looking for redemption . . .
Though his scandalous past and deepest secerts give Ventia every reason to mistrust him, a rogue always gets what he wants. Without warning, his demanding kiss threatens to become a bachelor's undoing . . . and a spinster's most passionate awakening.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

Venetia features a remarkably independent heroine who falls deeply in love with the wrong man. Venetia Lanyon lives a quiet life until she meets her notorious neighbor Jasper, Lord Damerel, who would marry her in a heartbeat if he didn't think it would ruin her. Then she discovers a shocking family secret that changes everything ... "Georgette Heyer is unbeatable."--Sunday Telegraph "Miss Heyer has done it again in this vivacious story of Regency society ... Venetia is an amazing woman even for today."--Library Journal.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,978,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible