dismiss

Venetia (1958)

by Georgette Heyer

Quick-witted, self-assured, funny and beautiful, Venetia is one of Georgette Heyer's most popular heroines. When the dashing Lord Demerel intrudes upon a quiet provincial community in the North of England, news of his scandalous past soon sets tongues wagging. In spite her of sheltered upbringing, though, Venetia is singularly unfazed by the rakish Demerel, and proves to be more than a match for him.… (more)
Recently added bybookmagic, nadineeg, private library, Bibliotheke, LeeEllenArneyMyers, kombuchahucha

English (82)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (85)
I confess: I bought this audiobook solely because it was narrated by Richard Armitage. I mean, come on, who wouldn't want Richard Armitage reading a romance story to them? I know it made my day. And I loved this audiobook. It was a fun, classic regency romance. I laughed out loud in parts. Other times, I felt for the position that Venetia and Lord Damerel were in. The entire time, I was so pulling for everything to work out for them. My only complaint is that this was an abridged audiobook. I would have loved an unabridged version. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
Venetia is truly so good and likable. She takes everything in her stride and doesn't let convention rule her thoughts and attitude. She manages to order her family and her love through good-natured practicality and a little wisdom. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 30, 2020 |
Venetia - Heyer
Audio performance by Phyllida Nash
4 stars

Venetia is a perfect Cinderella. Beautiful, intelligent, and independent with a tremendous amount of common sense and a great sense of humor. She so completely deserves her HEA. This audiobook performed by Phyllida Nash is unabridged and shouldn’t be confused with the abridged version performed by Richard Armitage. ( )
  msjudy | Mar 11, 2020 |
If you only read one book by Georgette Heyer, this one should probably be it. Venetia is a heroine of almost Lizzie-Bennet-level awesomeness who takes charge of her life and gets what she wants regardless of what everyone around her tells her she should do. ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
Georgette Heyer never seems to disappoint me. I love books centered around social structures and manners in society and she always creates the most wonderful female protagonists who are plucky and likable. However the real reason you read a Georgette Heyer book is for the delicious dialogue. The language is rich and smart and witty. It is such a pleasure to read. ( )
  Iudita | Dec 14, 2019 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nash, PhyllidaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'A fox got in amongst the hens last night, and ravished our best layer,' remarked Miss Lanyon.
"Beyond my gates I make you no promises: don't trust me! Within them...I'll remember that I was bred a gentleman."

Twenty-five years Venetia Lanyon's beauty rivaled only by her sensibility. Intelligent and independent, her future seems safe and predictable. Lovely Venetia despairs of ever meeting the handsome hero of her romantic dreams, but is nearly resigned to spinsterhood, thanks to the enormous amount of responsibility she inherited with a Yorkshire estate and an invalid but precocious brother, Aubrey. She lives in comfortable seclusion in rural Yorkshire, she has never been longer than Harrogate, nor enjoyed the lackluster attentions of any but her two wearisomely persistent suitors. She can not accept to marry the respectable but dull Edward Yardley, she will only marry for love.

Then her long-absent neighbor, thirty-eight years Lord Jasper Damerel, returns home to Yorkshire. In one extraordinary encounter, she meets the infamous neighbor, who knows only by reputation - a gamester, a shocking rake, and a man of sadly unsteady character - and before she knows better, is she in a libertine whose way of life has scandalised the North Riding for years. Lord Damerel found Venetia to be the most truly engaging and wittily perverse female he had encountered in all his life, and determined to woo and win her, he pursues her with a passionate abandon that is soon the talk of the ton. And after her encounter with the dashing, dangerous rake, Venetia's well-ordered life is turned upside down, and she embarks upon a courtship with him that scandalises and horrifies the whole community.

But Venetia has not intention of losing her heart to the rakish lord until she is sure that beneath her swashbuckling ways and shocking manners lies to tend heart belonging to her. And Lord Damerel would marry her in a heartbeat if he did not think it would ruin her. Then she discovers a shocking family secret that changes everything ... It was therefore particularly provoking to find that occasion, Lord Damerel could make up his mind to be idiotically noble....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,906,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible