dismiss

Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye

Jane Steele (2016)

by Lyndsay Faye

'Reader, I murdered him.' JANE STEELE is a brilliant Gothic retelling of JANE EYRE from Edgar-nominated Lyndsay Faye, for fans of LONGBOURN and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES.'I loved it' - Elly Griffiths ** JANE STEELE HAS BEEN NOMINATED FOR AN EDGAR AWARD FOR BEST NOVEL 2017 ** Like the heroine of the novel she adores, Jane Steele suffers cruelly at the hands of her aunt and schoolmaster. And like Jane Eyre, they call her wicked - but in her case, she fears the accusation is true. When she flees, she leaves behind the corpses of her tormentors. A fugitive navigating London's underbelly, Jane rights wrongs on behalf of the have-nots whilst avoiding the noose. Until an advertisement catches her eye. Her aunt has died and the new master at Highgate House, Mr Thornfield, seeks a governess. Anxious to know if she is Highgate's true heir, Jane takes the position and is soon caught up in the household's strange spell. When she falls in love with the mysterious Charles Thornfield, she faces a terrible dilemma: can she possess him - body, soul and secrets - and what if he discovers her murderous past?… (more)

The story is a very tongue in check retelling of Jane Eyre with a vengeful feminist twist which I absolutely loved. The author brilliantly incorporated typical gothic story telling for modern sensibilities; a great deal of Charlotte Bronte (Jane Eyre), with some Charles Dickens ( Nicolas Nickelby )and a little bit of Wilkie Collins ( Moonstone). The story, in itself, followed the typical Victorian format; inital tentative, precarious happiness, a great deal of hardship, unreasonable suffering and confusion that is eventually resolved for a happily ever after. I have read quite a few books that were a continuation or a spinoff of a classic and have been at the very least disappointed and sometimes even offended, but " Jane Steele "was very well done therefore I will be definitely looking for other books by the same author. Is it a must read? No. Is it a fun read? Definitely. The only negative I have, is the same I had for the prior book I read.....why are there spelling mistakes at the end of the book, were editor's tired? ( )
  EvaJanczaruk | May 31, 2020 |
A thrilling and joyful read about a young murderess making her way in a cruel world! A riff on Jane Eyre, with a wonderful cast of scoundrels and villains. Loved it! ( )
  ThomasPluck | Apr 27, 2020 |
This pastiche/homage to the great Jane Eyre is a most enjoyable romp. Author Faye manages to employ serial murder, Sikhs, the British Raj, and some of the nasty underside of Victorian England to create a book that is both fun to read and completely absorbing.
Jane Steele is a complicated woman whose sense of humor even in dire circumstances will leave the reader smiling. The two male leads are well-drawn as well.
Although it doesn’t really seem like a mystery—much more like a sensational novel—there is a mystery at the heart of the book, and the author employs classic misdirection in hiding the identity of the culprit. Very well done.
Recommended for Victorian fans, Jane Eyre lovers, feminists, and those who like sly humor in their stories. Well, recommended for almost anyone, really. ( )
  bohemima | Apr 10, 2020 |
Imagine if you will a homicidal Jane Eyre and you get the idea of what you're getting yourself into when you read this book. It has murder and intrigue and suspense. It has a love story and a mystery. And I'd like to believe Charlotte Bronte would have really enjoyed this homage to her little story. ( )
  Carole0220 | Mar 21, 2020 |
I wasn't a huge fan of Jane Eyre when I read it earlier this year. Even so, when I saw the cover and read the description of this book I was intrigued. It's hard not to be when the first thing you see is "Reader, I murdered him."

Jane Steele was everything I hoped it'd be. Entertaining and wonderfully written with a great cast of characters to boot. Full of mystery, wit, culture, and a side of murder.
Don't worry, Jane isn't a heartless serial killer. She just finds herself in some less than ideal situations that prompt her to resort to violent measures. Only a handful of times though..no big deal.

Whether you're a fan of Jane Eyre or not you should definitely give this book a shot. It's worth it!

*ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  maebri | Mar 10, 2020 |

Was inspired by

This book is humbly dedicated to Miss Eyre and Mr. Nickleby.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,682,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible