Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer

Why Shoot a Butler? (1933)

by Georgette Heyer

Recently added byLaurelyn, kinfae, private library, Orbasan, generalising, Killick, GerrysBookshelf
Legacy LibrariesArthur Ransome

The first of Georgette Heyer's mysteries I picked up - fun! Definitely not quite as good as Dorothy Sayers, but well worth a read, with some excellent amusing moments. ( )
  JBD1 | May 3, 2017 |
Frank Amberley is on his way to dinner at his Uncle and Aunt's estate, when he comes across a young woman, Shirley Brown, standing in the road next to a car with a dead man in the driver's seat.

Mr. Amberley is asked by the local police force to lend a hand as he was instrumental in closing a prior case. Between directing the bungling constabulary and keeping the inept inspector busy with wild goose chases, Mr. Amberley solves not only this crime, but several others that occur as a result.

While I didn't think much of Shirley, I found Aunt Marion a hoot and cousin Felicity a joyful little minx. The police sergeant was such a good natured buffoon, you couldn't help like him (and sympathize when he was so often the target of Frank's "attention"). Frank Amberley was laugh out loud funny with his very (did I mention VERY?) dry, sarcastic humor. In addition, he was extremely clever when putting together all the clues.

A criticism would be that there were some clues that the reader wasn't privy to until the big reveal (a la Columbo), but the majority you could get as they emerged or realize after the fact that it had been presented (but missed/overlooked).

Overall, a very enjoyable read that I would recommend.

Rating: 4 Stars ( )
  bhabeck | Sep 5, 2016 |
Maybe my expectations were very low, but this turned out to be a very entertaining and humorous read. ( )
  siok | Aug 20, 2016 |
This was an enjoyable book, and a good crime mystery. At times I was really into it, but other points it didn't retain my interest as much. It was well written with Georgette Heyer's usually good use of language, however at times I felt too much was kept in the dark. Letters, phone calls etc, where we didn't find out what was said or written until the reveal at the end. For me this was a shortcoming. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
This is the first Georgette Heyer I have read and I enjoyed it but it didn't blow me away. It could have had some thing to do with the fact I was reading a 1963 edition of a 1933 book, so it clearly had not been PC'd the way some other newer editions may have been.
The male protagonist - clearly the basis of a series - is kind of a jerk - totally insulting to the police, other characters and in spite of never explaining anything (and withholding evidence) totally expects everyone around him to have jumped to the same conclusions as he has (pretty far fetched storyline by the way)and to have solved the case. He also get angry at other characters giving away info / interfering in his plans when he hasn't told anyone what he is actually doing... So all in all I found it a bit frustrating.
I was expecting Agatha Christie and got Arthur Conan Doyle - entertaining but not the same quality. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scott, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To one who knows why
The signpost was unhelpful.
After all, why shoot a butler? Where's the point?

It is a complete mystery why anyone would choose to murder the trusted old butler of Norton Manor. But, barrister turned amateur detective, Frank Amberley, has a couple of suspects in mind, when suddenly there’s a second body in this dramatic tale of upstairs, downstairs and family secrets.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:30 -0400)

A lonely old man is murdered in a quiet country lane, apparently shot as he was driving home. The bullet from the murder weapon penetrated his left lung just below the heart. The only witness to the crime is a pretty young woman with a loaded automatic in her pocket--soon to become the main suspect.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,652,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible