End of Watch by Stephen King

End of Watch (2016)

by Stephen King

Series: Bill Hodges Trilogy (3)

English (85)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (93)
3.5 stars

This is the third in the “Mr. Mercedes” trilogy. Possible spoilers for the first book: Brady Hartzfield (Mr. Mercedes) has been in the hospital, pretty much brain-dead. Retired Det. Hodges visits him and thinks there is more going on in Brady’s head than Brady is letting on. And he’s right! Meanwhile, people (many, teenagers) are committing suicide, but it turns out many of them have been playing a game on an older, now-defunct tablet. What is going on?

Holly and Jerome also return in this 3rd book in the series. Holly still grates on me some (I reread my other reviews, and in the first book Holly did “grow on me”), but at other times, I found her amusing. I listened to the audio, and it’s possible it’s the way the narrator “plays” Holly that, at least plays a part in my irritation with her. Apparently, I didn’t like this one quite as much as the first two (each rated 4 stars), but overall it was still good. And, I think, a good conclusion to the series. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 3, 2019 |
Far fetched like most Stephen King. Easy to read. Mindless. ( )
  loracarlson | Feb 18, 2019 |
The final book in the trilogy and right on form again. King's mix of technology, thriller and a touch of strangeness really works with this story, and the fact that the strange element was only a feature in the third book really helped hook you in. Without spoiling it for those who are yet to read it, it returns to the Brady Hartsfield story line, and ties up all those loose ends from the first book. I always thought that the second, like many sequels, was a filler, and there was little reference to it in this final instalment. That said, it was needed to really solidify the relationships between the key and recurring periphery characters.

AS always, King has written good strong characters who, if you have read from book 1, you care about and have invested your emotions into. I am glad though that this is the end of the story for Finders Keepers, as it could have trundled on for several more books with lessening effect with each one. King knows how to stop on a winner, that's for sure.

It's not horror, it's a good thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat for the full read with his smooth and engaging style and whilst some elements are easy to guess, others will leave you hooked and wanting more. ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |
I didn't like this as much as the other two books in the series but it was still a good read. Although the villain is the same, his powers are now supernatural and so the book moves more into the usual Stephen King territory. I did like the fact that the plot was very relevant in today's world of online access and mobile devices. King again demonstrates his power to write horror that unsettles and makes food for thought. ( )
  nebula21 | Jan 13, 2019 |
As a Stephen King fan who has been reading his books for the last 40 years, I admit that nowadays I’m less captivated by his monsters. So I enjoyed the first two books in his MR. MERCEDES trilogy and expected END OF WATCH, the final book in the trilogy, to be the same (no monsters). WRONG

Brady is back. Yes, in MR. MERCEDES he was a monstrOUS bad guy. But in END OF WATCH he is literally a monster with awful supernatural powers. And the entire book involves the threesome, Bill Hodges, Holly Gibney, and Jerome Robinson, trying to find Brady and put an end to his destruction of vulnerable lives. But they first have to accept that he is doing it and then figure out how he does it from his hospital room, where he is in a semicomatose state as a result of the head injury he received when Holly whacked him in MR. MERCEDES.

I didn’t like END OF WATCH as well as I did the first two books ( MR. MERCEDES and FINDERS KEEPERS) in the trilogy. That is not to say that I didn’t like it at all. I just wish Bill could have had his “end of watch” with a monstrous bad guy rather than a monster. ( )
  techeditor | Jan 1, 2019 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Get me a gun
Go back into my room
I'm gonna get me a gun
One with a barrel or two
You know I'm better off dead than
Singing these suicide blues.
--Cross Canadian Ragweed
For Thomas Harris
It's always darkest before the dawn.
Et savoir que quelqu'un a besoin de nous est une chose merveilleuse. Peut-être la chose la plus merveilleuse.

"Brady Hartsfield, the Mercedes killer Stephen King introduced in his Edgar Award-winning first book in [this] trilogy, returns to diabolically drive his victims to suicide in this last ... installment starring the evermore winning Bill Hodges and Holly Gibney"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,348,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible