End of Watch by Stephen King

End of Watch (2016)

by Stephen King

Series: Bill Hodges Trilogy (3)

English (79)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (86)
End of Watch brings the trilogy full circle with a showdown of Brady Hartsfield vs. Hodges and friends. The novel starts off with a suicide of a survivor of the City Center Massacre. Hodges gets involved after he receives a phone call from his old partner. After looking over the crime scene Hodges and his partner find the scene odd. This sets Hodges off to piece together what's behind the suicides plaguing those connected to Hartsfield into a thrilling finish. Perspectives switch between Hartsfield, Hodges, and Hartsfield's victims. The action moves somewhat quickly but there are many instances when the action stops and there is an explanatory section. I really enjoyed the book and have very few issues. My biggest problem was the ending. It ended the way I thought it would but I feel like there was a better ending already in it. ( )
  ericreeves3 | Aug 10, 2018 |
This last book of the trilogy didn't disappoint. It was as tightly woven and suspenseful as the first two in the series. The characters were consistent and the details were beautifully crafted. Stephen King at his best. Loved it. ( )
  bcrowl399 | Aug 2, 2018 |
A fantastic ending to the trilogy! A little old school Stephen King thrown into this one too, which, of course, I love! This series is also a great read if you aren't crazy about horror novels or you're a fan of mysteries. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
It has been a while since I have read any Stephen King, and as always when I return after 6 months of reading other books, it is like coming home. I find his style flows as do his characters and storylines. And End of Watch is no exception.

The third in a trilogy of a gripping detective story, End of Watch brings final closure to the sick minded individual at the centre of the stories: Brady Hartsfield. In this installment Stephen King stretches the realms of possibility by bringing the concept of telekinesis and even taking over someone's mind. But he weaves it so well into the story and plot, offering the possibility through experimental medications that the reader can accept it and stay connected with the plot and the characters.

This novel can also be read as a standalone as Stephen King masterfully intertwines a recap of events in the opening chapters to bring the reader up to speed.

I would recommend this book and this series to not just those who love Horror but also those who love Crime Fiction too. It will definitely thrill. ( )
  purplequeennl | Jul 11, 2018 |
I'm still reeling from the end of this trilogy. It's a hangover and a half, and I am very thankful for making the journey.

Notes:

Brady Hartsfield is one of the sickest, most terrifying baddie that I've ever encountered.

The relationships in this series of books are some of the unique I've ever seen, outside of Harry Potter, perhaps. You truly feel what these characters feel and, without sounding too cheesy, you find yourself rooting for them.

End of Watch is a brilliant bookend, satisfying and exhilarating. ( )
  JaredOrlando | Jun 21, 2018 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Get me a gun
Go back into my room
I'm gonna get me a gun
One with a barrel or two
You know I'm better off dead than
Singing these suicide blues.
--Cross Canadian Ragweed
For Thomas Harris
It's always darkest before the dawn.
Et savoir que quelqu'un a besoin de nous est une chose merveilleuse. Peut-être la chose la plus merveilleuse.

"Brady Hartsfield, the Mercedes killer Stephen King introduced in his Edgar Award-winning first book in [this] trilogy, returns to diabolically drive his victims to suicide in this last ... installment starring the evermore winning Bill Hodges and Holly Gibney"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,053,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible