dismiss

The Intellectual Devotional: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education,…

by David S. Kidder, Noah D. Oppenheim

This daily digest of intellectual challenge and learning will arouse curiosity, refresh knowledge, expand horizons, and keep the mind sharp Millions of Americans keep bedside books of prayer and meditative reflection--collections of daily passages to stimulate spiritual thought and advancement. The Intellectual Devotional is a secular version of the same--a collection of 365 short lessons that will inspire and invigorate the reader every day of the year. Each daily digest of wisdom is drawn from one of seven fields of knowledge: history, literature, philosophy, mathematics and science, religion, fine arts, and music. Impress your friends by explaining Plato's Cave Allegory, pepper your cocktail party conversation with opera terms, and unlock the mystery of how batteries work. Daily readings range from important passages in literature to basic principles of physics, from pivotal events in history to images of famous paintings with accompanying analysis. The book's goal is to refresh knowledge we've forgotten, make new discoveries, and exercise modes of thinking that are ordinarily neglected once our school days are behind us. Offering an escape from the daily grind to contemplate higher things, The Intellectual Devotional is a great way to awaken in the morning or to revitalize one's mind before retiring in the evening.… (more)

David S. Kidder’s & Noah D. Oppenheim’s The Intellectual Devotional provides a unique approach in this book. It’s a secular devotional that stresses education, and the development of one’s mind. This year-long devotional of 365 days covers a wide range of subjects and spreads over the days of the week: Monday—History, Tuesday—Literature, Wednesday—Visual Arts, Thursday—Science, Friday—Music, Saturday—Philosophy, and Sunday—Religion.
History tells about the life of Alexander the Great, Napoleon Bonaparte, the fate of American abolitionist John Brown, Julius Caesar, and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It includes topics like the Black Death of Europe, Brown vs. Board of Education – a ruling of school segregation, D-Day – war in the European Theater, and the Holocaust – the extermination of millions of Jews. Literature presents the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Voltaire’s Candide, Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, Heller’s Catch–22, Cervantes’ Don Quixote, and Fitzgerald’s Great Gatsby.
The Visual Arts sees Wood’s American gothic, baroque art, Botticelli’s Birth of Venus, Bust of Nefertiti, Byzantine art, and the Cathedral of Notre Dame of Paris. Science looks at the atom, batteries, black holes, blood, chemical bonds, circadian rhythms, the works of Marie Curie, and Charles Darwin. And music presents Verdi’s Aida, Copland’s Appalachian Spring, the works of Johann Sebastian Bach, American Leonard Bernstein, and Johannes Brahms.
Philosophy deals with the aesthetics, a priori knowledge, and arguments for the existence of God, Aristotle, George Berkeley, the categorical imperative, causation, René Descartes, Epicureanism, and the freedom of the will. Religion looks at the apostles, Gautama Buddha, Catholicism, the crucifixion, Constantine, Eastern Orthodox Church, the First Five Pillars of Islam, and the Gospels of the New Testament. ( )
  erwinkennythomas | May 27, 2020 |
Read cover to cover, quite interesting, would read again. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
A daily dose of intellectual insight.
  rsalley76 | Mar 13, 2018 |
This was a fabulous book! I kept it in my purse as my "line book" - the book I read while waiting for things. I enjoyed the subjects chosen - opera, science, philosophy, history, paintings. For anyone how enjoys knowledge, fact, or Jeopardy - this is the book for you. It's perfect for a short reads, for livening the mind, or for learning fun facts to dazzle (or bore) your friends. The only thing I'd changed is more modern music history - jazz or big band, or even rock and roll! I ended up buy the the American History edition to read now that I'm finished with this one. I anticipate it being just as good! ( )
  empress8411 | Sep 5, 2015 |

David S. Kidderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Oppenheim, Noah D.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

From Amazon: This daily digest of intellectual challenge and learning will arouse curiosity, refresh knowledge, expand horizons, and keep the mind sharp.

Millions of Americans keep bedside books of prayer and meditative reflection—-collections of daily passages to stimulate spiritual thought and advancement. The Intellectual Devotional is a secular version of the same—-a collection of 365 short lessons that will inspire and invigorate the reader every day of the year. Each daily digest of wisdom is drawn from one of seven fields of knowledge: history, literature, philosophy, mathematics and science, religion, fine arts, and music.

Impress your friends by explaining Plato’s Cave Allegory, pepper your cocktail party conversation with opera terms, and unlock the mystery of how batteries work. Daily readings range from important passages in literature to basic principles of physics, from pivotal events in history to images of famous paintings with accompanying analysis. The book’s goal is to refresh knowledge we’ve forgotten, make new discoveries, and exercise modes of thinking that are ordinarily neglected once our school days are behind us. Offering an escape from the daily grind to contemplate higher things, The Intellectual Devotional is a great way to awaken in the morning or to revitalize one’s mind before retiring in the evening.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,206,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible