Killing Trail: A Timber Creek K-9 Mystery by…

Killing Trail: A Timber Creek K-9 Mystery

by Margaret Mizushima

When a young girl is found dead in the mountains outside Timber Creek, life-long resident Officer Mattie Cobb and her partner, K-9 police dog Robo, are assigned to the case that has rocked the small Colorado town. With the help of Cole Walker, local veterinarian and a single father, Mattie and Robo must track down the truth before it claims another victim. But the more Mattie investigates, the more she realizes how many secrets her hometown holds. And the key may be Cole's daughter, who knows more than she's saying. The murder was just the beginning, and if Mattie isn’t careful, she and Robo could be next.

What Did I Think?
New series for this author and I believe she has pulled it off brilliantly. The character of Mattie is a very strong figure without being obnoxious or feeling that she had something to prove as some female law enforcement characters do. The author also did a good job in articulating the capabilities of a trained police dog. You gotta love a good dog character and Robo is perfect. This is certainly a very good first effort for Margaret Mizushima. I look forward to meeting Mattie and Robo again. ( )
  Carol420 | Aug 15, 2017 |
This was a new author for me. I was drawn to the book because it had a K-9 unit as some of the main characters. I was hooked by the story from the very beginning. The emotions in the book seemed to be real. I had figured out who was assisting the murderer; but I had to have the author reveal who was the murderer. I enjoyed these down to earth characters. I will look for future books written by this author. ( )
  BrendaKlaassen | Apr 25, 2016 |
Good solid debut novel. Margaret Mizushima spins a compelling mystery involving a small Colorado town deputy and her new K9 partner. The characters are interesting (even the ones I didn't like) and the author does a wonderful job of painting a realistic picture of the area. The story kept me up long past my bedtime and I love it when a story takes over to the point where I don't care that it's 3am and the alarm will be screaming at me in less than three hours, just as long as I can finish my book. I look forward to reading more about Timber Creek. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Apr 21, 2016 |
This is an intelligently written, well crafted and superbly researched story. Of course, having in-house expert medical counsel doesn't hurt one bit. The characters are richly developed and the K-9 police dog and his handler are the stars of the show. There are lots of red herrings but some of the early foreshadowing was a bit too revealing. Regardless, the pace was steady and it all crescendoed to an exhilarating climax. Well done Ms. Mizushima! I cannot wait for your future installments in this series.

I am grateful to author Margaret Mizushima and publisher Crooked Lane Books for having provided a free copy of this book. Her generosity, however, did not influence this review, the words of which are mine alone.

Synopsis (from book's dust jacket):

The murder was just the beginning, and if Mattie isn’t careful, she and Robo could be next. Suspenseful and smart, Killing Trail is a gripping read that will have readers clamoring for more Mattie and Robo for years to come. Fans of Nevada Barr and C.J. Box will love this explosive debut. ( )
  KateBaxter | Feb 10, 2016 |
Rough prose and dialogue from a novice writer, but she's created an interesting character and offers a neat inside view of working with a dog. The details of the vet practice are obviously drawn from life, which adds authenticity. It will be interesting to see Mizushima develop! ( )
  kylenapoli | Jan 16, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,506,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible