Through the Narrow Gate by Karen Armstrong

Through the Narrow Gate (1981)

by Karen Armstrong

510None19,807 (4.08)18
Recently added byprivate library, jdr857, mletzel, CDaW, stlouismagnolia, RobSchultz, jbo365, njcur
    Lesbian Nuns: Breaking Silence by Rosemary Curb (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: The stories of other women who left the convent. Many of them had the same kind of crazy experiences that Karen Armstrong did.

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
Comments on Reread September 2011: Have I really read this book only twice? It has lost none of its power to enthral me even though I am, I hope, a more mature reader than I was in 2009. Parts of the book still move me to tears and I suspect always will. In this reading, however, I also found smiles (although not laughter) and know that Ms Armstrong's trip to Marks & Spencer is not the end of the story.
  notjustlaura | Oct 4, 2011 |
I found this book to be very touching as well as very detailed. When I reached the end, I wanted to read more, so her sequel is on my TBR list.
  medievalmama | Jul 24, 2008 |
This is the first thing I've read by Karen Armstrong. I'm always fascinated by stories about the religious life. In this memoir, Armstrong tells the story of how she entered a convent at age 17, the details of her life there, and how she eventually left.
  Lindsayg | Jun 14, 2008 |
Very beautiful and moving book memoir of the authors time in a convent in the 1960s. It was a very hard life and the book makes this clear, but also makes clear the reasons people are willing to stay in the religious life, and the inner battle when they decide to leave. Really worth the read.
1 vote Kiora | Mar 8, 2007 |
Enter by the narrow gate, since the gate that leads to perdition is wide, and the road spacious, and many take it; but it is a narrow gate and a hard road that lead to life, and only a few find it. -Matthew 7:12
In memory of my father
It was 14 September 1962, the most important day of my life.

Through the Narrow Gate is Karen Armstrong's intimate memoir of life inside a Catholic convent. With refreshing honesty and clarity, the book takes readers on a revelatory adventure that begins with Armstrong's decision in the course of her spiritual training offers a fascinating view into a shrouded religious life, and a vivid, moving account of the spiritual coming age of one of our most loved and respected interpreters of religious.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:29 -0400)

Recounts the seven years that the author spent in a convent beginning at the age of seventeen, describing her religous doubts and spiritual struggles which led to her final recognition that she was not suited for life as a nun.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible