HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Big news! LibraryThing is now free to all! Read the blog post and discuss the change on Talk.
dismiss
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

The Man in the High Castle (1962)

by Philip K. Dick

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
10,686285440 (3.7)2 / 457
It's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. The few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco, the I Ching is as common as the Yellow Pages. All because some twenty years earlier the United States lost a war -- and is now occupied by Nazi Germany and Japan.
  1. 81
    Fatherland by Robert Harris (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
  2. 61
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are alternate histories set in a USA changed by World War Two.
  3. 62
    The Plot against America by Philip Roth (ateolf)
  4. 20
    Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alt history
  5. 10
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (Anonymous user)
  6. 10
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Two very different approaches to using an oracle, one the Tarot, another the I Ching, to help structure a book's narrative.
  7. 10
    Farthing by Jo Walton (rretzler)
  8. 54
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
  9. 00
    Divine Invasions: A Life of Philip K. Dick by Lawrence Sutin (Anonymous user)
  10. 00
    The Lost Continent by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    Sylak: Alternate history following WWI
  11. 00
    Resurrection Day by Brendan DuBois (RG_331)
    RG_331: What would happen if the Cold War escalated
  12. 00
    SS-GB by Len Deighton (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: Alternate History: Axis powers won WWII
  13. 01
    The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad (andyl)
    andyl: Alternate history novel that also uses the book within a book device.
  14. 12
    China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (ahstrick)
  15. 01
    The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Disturbing Alternate Histories of America.
1960s (187)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (269)  French (4)  Italian (4)  Spanish (4)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (285)
Showing 1-5 of 269 (next | show all)
It's pretty hard to read a Dick book and not have fun afterwards...

Manny asked at the end of his review of this: Has the I Ching written any more books? I don’t know about that. But now that I know what I Ching is, one thing is obvious. A book written by I Ching has to be reviewed by it too.

http://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/2013/10/21/the-man-in-the-high-castle...
( )
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
It's pretty hard to read a Dick book and not have fun afterwards...

Manny asked at the end of his review of this: Has the I Ching written any more books? I don’t know about that. But now that I know what I Ching is, one thing is obvious. A book written by I Ching has to be reviewed by it too.

http://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/2013/10/21/the-man-in-the-high-castle...
( )
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
Kitabı, dizisi(The Man in the High Castle) ilk çıktığında konusunu okuyup merak etmiştim.Kitabı almak için araştırdığımda Altıkırkbeş tarafından yayınlandığını öğrendim ve çevirisinin rezalet olduğunu söyleyen çok fazla yorum okuyunca kitabı okumaktan vazgeçmiştim ta ki dizisini izleyene kadar. Dizisi mükemmel bir dizi olmasa da zaman zaman devleşen karakterleriyle ve dizideki atmosferle beni etkilemeyi başardı bu yüzden diziyi bitirdikten sonra tekrar kitabı okumaya niyetlendim bu sefer Metis Yayınları'ndan çıkan eski baskısının e-kitabını buldum ve okumaya başladım.

Öncelikle kitapla diziyi karşılaştırmam gerektiği kanaatindeyim. Dizide kitaptaki karakterlerin neredeyse tamamen yer alıyor ama bazı karakterlerin rollerinde bazı temel farklılıklar var ve konusu büyük çoğunlukla farklı bir şekilde ilerliyor bu yüzden diziyi izleseniz kitaptan spoiler yemiyorsunuz. Kitaptan tamamen kopan 2.sezonu dizinin en iyi sezonu olmakla birlikte 1.sezonu da kendisini izlettiriyor. Ben genel başarılı buldum diziyi.

Kitaba gelecek olursam kitapta aksiyondan çok fikir,konuşma ve felsefe yer alıyor ve bunu yazar okuyucuya sıkmadan anlatmayı başarıyor. Kitabı okurken okuldan görülen tarih dersinden daha fazla bilgiye ihtiyaç duyduğum için sıklıkla internetten araştırma yapmam gerekti bu yüzden kitabı okumadan önce 2.Dünya Savaşı'nda geçen önemli olayları, kişileri ve Çin ve Japon felsefelerini iyice bir araştırmak gerekiyor. İşin tarih kısmı fazla zor değil yazar da yeri geldikçe açıklamış ama işin felsefe kısmı beni biraz yordu.
Kitaba 4 puan verdim bunun nedeni kitabın acele bir sonla bitmesi ve savaştan sonraki zamana yazarın fazla yer vermemesi etkili oldu. Yazarın kesinlikle bu kitaba bir devam kitabı yazması gerekirken kitap biraz yetersiz kalmış bu nedenle. Ama en azından dizisini izlemenizi tavsiye ederim. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |
Re-read 9/18/19:

So, do I have anything I want to say that I didn't say in my original review? Yes. Possibly.

My least favorite section usually involved all the jewelry making and the eventual rise and fall of the metal as a main character in the story. But this time? Maybe I just happened to be in the right mood. Tagomi's crisis in perception was VERY PKD and pretty delightful this time around. The jewelry being a catalyst, a doorway through the Yin into the Yang and vice versa, resonated strangely and through a back door into my consciousness. This time.

Otherwise, I still enjoyed the novel. Even if it is, and always be, a complicated relationship. :)


Original review:

This book is complicated for me. I only cared about Juliana's story as an actual story. There were times where I was invested with Frank's tale, too, and Tagomi had his moments, but as a complete and cohesive novel, the overt tale wasn't anything special. Nothing much happened except the hint of an attempted coup, the beginnings of an attempted assassination of an author, and the near-tragedy of a jewelry maker.

So what's all the fuss about? Why do people think this PKD is the bomb? Why did it earn a Hugo back in '62?

It's complicated. Just like my relationship with the novel.

Let's get the heavy out of the way. The whole damn thing was written with the extensive use of the I Ching. Hell, I learned the I Ching and used it extensively after reading this novel, just to get a deeper feel. This is a practical crash-course in PKD's fascination with all things mystical and religious, focused on a tight beam of almost pink light and driven right into the heart of every character's life. It's easy to extrapolate into all his other works from here, or backtrack to this instant. Everything is connected.

I loved this part of it. The twists and the turns, the inexplicable and the merely odd things that happen to the people, all of it could be blamed on the I Ching, and by extension, the vagaries of real life. Truth is hereby written.

I just don't think it made for a particularly exciting tale... just a pretty profound one.

And then there's the other part of this book which generally captures most people's attention. It's an alternate history where the Germans and the Japanese won WWII and split up the USA into occupied territories. We spend most of our time in the Japanese sector of California, where Frank is relatively free of the threat of being thrown into a gas chamber for being of Jewish ancestry.

Nice set-up? You bet. PKD's details are vast and deep, too, throwing us into an immersion both amazing and scary as hell. It's a crash course in cultural mindsets, too, although I cannot be any kind of expert on how the Japanese really think. I cannot tell anyone how accurate it is. BUT, I can say it was a huge eye-opener the first time I read this.

As a novel of worldbuilding, what PKD accomplished here is beyond excellent. Perhaps it only seems so this far down the timestream from when it was written, and perhaps it is a genuine masterpiece regardless of when we read it, but a great working knowledge of all the historical players is almost a must before dipping your toes in this water. I think I'm not too bad at history, having read a great number of non-fiction books, but since I wasn't living through the events, I felt lost a great deal of the time.

It was almost as if PKD almost refuses to divulge the hidden treasures in the events without our active and fairly intense participation, but it wasn't so much the name dropping that I had troubles with. It was the importance of the events that happened to each of the characters that stymied me. So, again, we had to return to the I Ching and divine the deeper reasons.

Themes can and will be untangled with enough effort, and they're pretty cool, but this novel is by no means a simple and straightforward read.

And then there's the third awesome aspect of the novel. The Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a prophetic and I Ching written novel that's hugely popular in this alternate world. It depicts a world where Germany and Japan lost the war. An additional I Ching reading about the veracity of this novel tells us that it is a hidden truth. It's real. And people all across the nation seem to realize it, talk about it, and generally obsess over it.

How cool. Right? A mirror of the universe *mostly* reflecting our own and driving its inhabitants a little bonkers in exactly the way that PKD's novel did for us in this universe!

Well, it wouldn't be PKD without at least TWO world-shattering shenanigans, right?

So, I've got all these high props of the novel and a teeth-grinding annoyance held out for it for the SAME REASON. Am I and this book in a relationship? Yes. But it's complicated. ;)

Very cool stuff, but it requires a lot of effort to really enjoy. It's high maintenance. :) ( )
1 vote bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I listened to this on audio book. Does that count? I really liked it. I don't read a lot of science fiction but I like reading about Nazis (?) and the scope of his imagination as well as the breadth of his real-world references is astounding. I also like that his characters are inevitably more fucked up than the fucked up dystopias they inhabit. ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
Showing 1-5 of 269 (next | show all)
Dick is entertaining us about reality and madness, time and death, sin and salvation.... We have our own homegrown Borges.
added by GYKM | editNew Republic, Ursula K. LeGuin
 
Philip K. Dick's best books always describe a future that is both entirely recognizable and utterly unimaginable.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review
 
Philip K. Dick... has chosen to handle... material too nutty to accept, too admonitory to forget, too haunting to abandon.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post
 

» Add other authors (25 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Dick, Philip K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, EricIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gambino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Glasserman, DebbieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gleeson, TonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nati, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
North, HeidiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stöbe, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiner, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Information from the Italian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
To my wife, Anne, without whose silence
this book would never have been written
To my wife Tessa and my son Christopher,
with great and awful love
First words
For a week Mr. R. Childan had been anxiously watching the mail.
Quotations
They know a million tricks, those novelists...Appeals to the base lusts that hide in everyone no matter how respectable on the surface. Yes, the novelist knows humanity how worthless they are, ruled by their testicles, swayed by cowardice, selling out every cause because of their greed...all he's got to do is thump on the drum, and there's the response. And he laughing of course, behind his hand at the effect he gets. (p. 128)
At six-fifteen in the evening she finished the book. I wonder if Joe got to the end of it? she wondered. There's so much more in it than he understood. What is it Abendsen wanted to say? Nothing about his make-believe world. Am I the only one who knows? I'll bet I am; nobody else really understands Grasshopper but me - they just imagine they do.
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

No library descriptions found.

Book description
Haiku summary
Alternate history
given alternate history;
what's true? What isn't?
(ed.pendragon)
Complex novel in
scope and ideas but flawed in
its execution.
(passion4reading)

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.7)
0.5 3
1 46
1.5 18
2 210
2.5 65
3 698
3.5 206
4 968
4.5 105
5 583

Penguin Australia

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,708,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible