dismiss

Manden i den store fæstning by Philip…

Manden i den store fæstning (original 1962; edition 1973)

by Philip K. Dick

10,563281442 (3.7)2 / 457
It's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. The few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco, the I Ching is as common as the Yellow Pages. All because some twenty years earlier the United States lost a war -- and is now occupied by Nazi Germany and Japan.
Member:mskarbiniks
Title:Manden i den store fæstning
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Stig Vendelkær, 1973.

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (Author) (1962)

Fatherland by Robert Harris (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are alternate histories set in a USA changed by World War Two.
    The Plot against America by Philip Roth (ateolf)
    Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alt history
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (Anonymous user)
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Two very different approaches to using an oracle, one the Tarot, another the I Ching, to help structure a book's narrative.
    Farthing by Jo Walton (rretzler)
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    Divine Invasions: A Life of Philip K. Dick by Lawrence Sutin (Anonymous user)
    The Lost Continent by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    Sylak: Alternate history following WWI
    Resurrection Day by Brendan DuBois (RG_331)
    RG_331: What would happen if the Cold War escalated
    SS-GB by Len Deighton (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: Alternate History: Axis powers won WWII
    The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad (andyl)
    andyl: Alternate history novel that also uses the book within a book device.
    China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (ahstrick)
    The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Disturbing Alternate Histories of America.
1960s (187)

English (265)  French (4)  Italian (4)  Spanish (4)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (281)
I listened to this on audio book. Does that count? I really liked it. I don't read a lot of science fiction but I like reading about Nazis (?) and the scope of his imagination as well as the breadth of his real-world references is astounding. I also like that his characters are inevitably more fucked up than the fucked up dystopias they inhabit. ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
It is post World War II, but in this alterative future Roosevelt had been assassinated in 1933 and America had never emerged from the great depression. The Axis powers won and America is now under the Nazi’s on the east coast and Japan invaded and established the Pacific States of America (PSA) on the west coast. The Rocky Mountain States are now a neutral buffer zone. With the Nazi victory came sweeping changes across Europe, genocide in the African continent and they mastered space.

In this strange new world, PKD has scattered a cast of characters that are loosely linked. Bob Childan owns an antiques shop specialising in Americana relics some of which have been bought through the Wyndam-Matson Corporation. Frank Frink, who is secretly a Jew and a previous employee of Wyndam-Matson, discovers that the antiques are fakes, and walks away with a sum of money to start a new business with another colleague. His ex wife, Juliana, is now living in the neutral zone, and has begun a relationship with an Italian truck driver called Cinnadella. A Swedish industrialist named Baynes has recently arrived and is asking for a meeting with a Nobusuke Tagomi, a Japanese trade official, who had visited Childan’s shop to buy a gift for him. Several characters in the book are reading the banned novel, The Grasshopper Lies Heavy by Hawthorne Abendsen, who according to lore lives in a guarded home called the High Castle. This novel within the novel has its own alternate history, our future, where the Allies have won World War II. Throughout the book, some of the characters use the ancient divination text of I Ching to help them make decisions even though the choices presented are not always what they want.

I have come to like PKD books. Not all of them are great works of literature, but they all manage to mess with your head. In this parallel world, he has conceived a future with the Axis powers running most of the western world and still causing horrific acts. The story is woven with tension, from Julianna realisation about her boyfriend’s intentions, the power struggles at the top of the Nazi hierarchy and the potential for another world war. I liked the overlapping coincidences in the novel within from our world and the new parallel world that he conceived. Whilst the plot is not hugely strong, it’s a book that makes you think about the paradox of alternative futures and what the world might have been like. Good stuff. 3.5 stars. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
What if...?

The premise: The Allies lost WWII; Japan and Germany rise up to rule the world and the universe.

This basic idea doesn’t even begin to describe the story. Each chapter delves into the differences between cultures and how it affects decisions and actions.

What I found most interesting was the result of the what-if and the why-did. And now that I’ve finished the book I have another question... How did they? ( )
  Bibliodiction | Apr 5, 2020 |
20 years ago the United States of America lost a war, and now the Earth is ruled jointly by Nazi Germany and the Japanese. Slavery is once again legal and persecuted minorities hide in plain sight under assumed identities. The world is a strange new place and the new order continues to destroy the planet. In the neutral space between German/Japanese America lives the man in the high castle, a man who writes and is famous among the underground for a subversive work of alternative history.
  DevilStateDan | Feb 11, 2020 |
The idea of a history where Germany & Japan won WWII & what the world would be like is interesting. I also like the "book in a book" that has the allies winning, but still has a history that's different from our own.

BUT, the only thing that ties all the characters in the book together is reading the book "Grasshopper." Outside of that, I have no clue why 1/2 (or most actually) of the characters are even in the story. Also, the ending left me hanging. It's like Mr. Dick planned on writing a sequel that either I don't know about or that doesn't exist. ( )
  sep780 | Jan 12, 2020 |
Dick is entertaining us about reality and madness, time and death, sin and salvation.... We have our own homegrown Borges.
added by GYKM | editNew Republic, Ursula K. LeGuin

Philip K. Dick's best books always describe a future that is both entirely recognizable and utterly unimaginable.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

Philip K. Dick... has chosen to handle... material too nutty to accept, too admonitory to forget, too haunting to abandon.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post

North, HeidiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stöbe, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiner, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Anne, without whose silence
this book would never have been written
To my wife Tessa and my son Christopher,
with great and awful love
For a week Mr. R. Childan had been anxiously watching the mail.
They know a million tricks, those novelists...Appeals to the base lusts that hide in everyone no matter how respectable on the surface. Yes, the novelist knows humanity how worthless they are, ruled by their testicles, swayed by cowardice, selling out every cause because of their greed...all he's got to do is thump on the drum, and there's the response. And he laughing of course, behind his hand at the effect he gets. (p. 128)
At six-fifteen in the evening she finished the book. I wonder if Joe got to the end of it? she wondered. There's so much more in it than he understood. What is it Abendsen wanted to say? Nothing about his make-believe world. Am I the only one who knows? I'll bet I am; nobody else really understands Grasshopper but me - they just imagine they do.

Alternate history
given alternate history;
what's true? What isn't?
(ed.pendragon)
Complex novel in
scope and ideas but flawed in
its execution.
(passion4reading)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,227,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible