Manden i den store fæstning by Philip…

Manden i den store fæstning (original 1962; edition 1973)

by Philip K. Dick

9,501252460 (3.72)2 / 428
Member:mskarbiniks
Title:Manden i den store fæstning
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Stig Vendelkær, 1973.

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (Author) (1962)

Fatherland by Robert Harris (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are alternate histories set in a USA changed by World War Two.
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (ateolf)
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alt history
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Two very different approaches to using an oracle, one the Tarot, another the I Ching, to help structure a book's narrative.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (Anonymous user)
    The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Disturbing Alternate Histories of America.
    Divine Invasions: A Life of Philip K. Dick by Lawrence Sutin (Anonymous user)
    SS-GB by Len Deighton (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: Alternate History: Axis powers won WWII
    China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (ahstrick)
    The Lost Continent by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    Sylak: Alternate history following WWI
    The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad (andyl)
    andyl: Alternate history novel that also uses the book within a book device.
1960s (196)

English (235)  French (4)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (251)
Speculative, political, ideological, psychological... and murky.

What would have happened if Germany and Japan had won World War II and divided the world and the US between them? Germany had taken Nazism to its ultimate conclusion - eradication of Jews, blacks, Slavs, and enslaving of the rest of mankind. The Japan controlled areas are better off, Japanese rule more subtle yet just as subversive ways. The peace is precarious - factions fight within Germany and the Reich is plotting to overthrow the Empire.

A book describing an alternate history about Germany and Japan losing the war is gaining popularity. Two Americans start a handcrafted jewelry business in face defying Japanese opinion that American artisanship is worthless. A German agent is on an important secret mission. A Buddhist faces the ultimate challenge to his peace of mind. A young woman unravels the secret of the man in the high castle...

This is a book of ideas. The alternative history is very intriguing and terrifying. However, this is not the book's focus - we get vignettes of the various characters' lives, of events, and towards the end, some losing their mind. We do not get a sense of how people live, what they think, how the society is structured. The book is scattered, the end is just a mess, the message is perhaps that we don't know what's real and that we cannot influence what happens anyway? Maybe. Not sure if there is a message, or just a murky wandering of Dick's rambling mind. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Decisamente un romanzo fuori dal comune. Una storia "allucinante". Decisamente un grande scrittore. In una storia completamente stravolta Dick riesce a fsr immaginare il lettore le descrizioni in modo reale. E se fosse davvero successo? Come può la mente umana arrivare a tanto? Ad immaginare un mondo contrario al nostro? Autore di grande pregio senza dubbio. ( )
  TheGirin | Sep 19, 2018 |
DNF at 32% on 6/25/2016. ( )
  thepageparamour | Sep 9, 2018 |
I finished the book yesterday and am still processing it. That I'm still thinking about a book a day later is usually a good sign. I read the Folio Society edition which invariably enhances the experience. And it included an introduction by Ursula K. Le Guin that really helped in understanding both plot and style. Highly recommend. ( )
  heggiep | Sep 8, 2018 |
Ok, so Philip K Dick is just too esoteric for me. Every book I've read has about 40% that I really like, that are clever, well-thought, and interesting. While the other parts are weird, sometimes they feel kafkaesque, or trippy, and I don't get them (or at least, their relevance and what they do in the book). As always I liked the premise (also, I'm a sucker for Nazis-have-won books), but the more it progressed the more I felt like I should take some drugs to properly understand the book. Not to say that it's a bad book, but it's just not for me. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Dick is entertaining us about reality and madness, time and death, sin and salvation.... We have our own homegrown Borges.
added by GYKM | editNew Republic, Ursula K. LeGuin

Philip K. Dick's best books always describe a future that is both entirely recognizable and utterly unimaginable.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

Philip K. Dick... has chosen to handle... material too nutty to accept, too admonitory to forget, too haunting to abandon.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post

North, HeidiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stöbe, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiner, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Anne, without whose silence
this book would never have been written
To my wife Tessa and my son Christopher,
with great and awful love
For a week Mr. R. Childan had been anxiously watching the mail.
They know a million tricks, those novelists...Appeals to the base lusts that hide in everyone no matter how respectable on the surface. Yes, the novelist knows humanity how worthless they are, ruled by their testicles, swayed by cowardice, selling out every cause because of their greed...all he's got to do is thump on the drum, and there's the response. And he laughing of course, behind his hand at the effect he gets. (p. 128)
At six-fifteen in the evening she finished the book. I wonder if Joe got to the end of it? she wondered. There's so much more in it than he understood. What is it Abendsen wanted to say? Nothing about his make-believe world. Am I the only one who knows? I'll bet I am; nobody else really understands Grasshopper but me - they just imagine they do.

Alternate history
given alternate history;
what's true? What isn't?
(ed.pendragon)
Complex novel in
scope and ideas but flawed in
its execution.
(passion4reading)

It's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. the few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco the I Ching is as common as the Yellow Pages. All because some 20 years earlier the United States lost a war--and is now occupied jointly by Nazi Germany and Japan.

This harrowing, Hugo Award-winning novel is the work that established Philip K. Dick as an innovator in science fiction while breaking the barrier between science fiction and the serious novel of ideas. In it Dick offers a haunting vision of history as a nightmare from which it may just be possible to awake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:53 -0400)

"It's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. The few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco the I Ching is as coommon as the Yellow Pages. All because some 20 years earlier the United States lost a war and is now occupied jointly by Nazi Germany and Japan." -- Back cover.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,129,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible