The Man in the High Castle (Sf Masterworks)…

The Man in the High Castle (Sf Masterworks) (original 1962; edition 2001)

by Philip K. Dick

7,023141515 ()1 / 260
Member:Brookef
Title:The Man in the High Castle (Sf Masterworks)
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Gollancz (2001), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Science Fiction

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (1962)

Fatherland by Robert Harris (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are alternate histories set in a USA changed by World War Two.
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Two very different approaches to using an oracle, one the Tarot, another the I Ching, to help structure a book's narrative.
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (ateolf)
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alt history
    SS-GB by Len Deighton (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: Alternate History: Axis powers won WWII
    Beyond Thirty by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    Sylak: Alternate history following WWI
    China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (ahstrick)
    The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad (andyl)
    andyl: Alternate history novel that also uses the book within a book device.

English (130)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (141)
The ideas felt tired and dated, with none of the identity- and reality-mindfuck that I love from this man. Ultimately, a fun almost-spy-story without tremendous lasting power. Though props to PKD for taking advantage of the perspective shift of the alternate history to focus on racism and oppression. ( )
  ternary | Feb 14, 2015 |
Well, I really didn't know what to expect going into this one. I've read a lot of alternate history, but almost no Philip K. Dick. What I found was delightfully different, disorienting, horrifying and humorous, and oh-so-meta. I feel like I need to go read a bunch more Dick to get a sense of what all was going on in here beyond the plot itself, but I was glad to spend some time pondering fiction, history, religion, etc. ( )
  kleos_aphthiton | Feb 8, 2015 |
I always find the endings of PKD novels baffling and this was no exception. The intricacy of the various plot threads, how they weave across each other, and of course the terrifying world building are all brilliant. As with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, I can't help wanting more: more details about the world--for example, Africa and its nuclear holocaust, which is at the peripheries of the novel, more closure, more narrative. What happens in the lives of all these characters, the future especially of Baynes/Wergner, Tagomi, and Childan.

As a parenthetical, I can't decide if the book downplays the brutality of Japan's role in WWII. Whenever I try to articulate my discomfort with this, it ends up being a bizarre untenable comparison of "who was worse, Nazis or Imperialist Japan?" a question which misses the point. There is a hint of the subjugation of the Chinese, but not much else is mentioned in terms of Japan's atrocities and considering that so many of the sympathetic characters are Japanese--Tagomi, and the Kasouras, who are sympathetic because we encounter them through Childan's racist xenophobic exoticism--compared to the Germans. ( )
  endlesserror | Feb 5, 2015 |
Except for a slow beginning the book was a fantastic read. With the memory of WWII still alive if not fresh Dick published ths 1962 thought provoker. Not too detailed but still familiar enough to keep me wondering. And the end was great. Didn't see it comiong. Not slighly even confusing like a number of his stories.A rare 4.5 indeed. ( )
  JBreedlove | Jan 3, 2015 |
The strength of this novel is in the world-building; a quite believable post-USA in the generation following the Allies' defeat in WWII. The characters are not particularly memorable, and all tend to wash around where the winds of history blow them. The five separate protagonists are commonplace people in the margins trying to advance themselves out of dead-end existences. Many authors would be tempted to give first or second-person narrative to scenes with the heads of state monologuing their plans, or insert long segments of exposition summing up the alt-history’s divergence from our own reality. I’m particularly bored of seeing passages quoted from fictional history texts used at the introduction of chapters as a overt method of injecting backstory. PKD knew it was always better to show the reader, and not merely tell them. It’s far more engaging to provide a scene from the lower caste character’s narrative point of view as he attempts to socialize with his social betters, highlighting his inner anxieties and thoughts, than to simply state how 'indigenously born former Americans live in the shadow of the rich Japanese Imperials who have gentrified their seized neighborhoods’. The most chilling aspect of the new world illustrated in the novel is how civilly the subjugated accept their bonds; there are no jack-booted enforcers patrolling the streets, life instead continues on with the economic and cultural dynamics reversed for the defeated. Aside from the fantastic world building however, the storyline is painfully slow and often meandering around in eddies that don’t particularly advance the story. A few events finally bubble up into something resembling a climax for three of the characters, and some unsatisfying denouement gives no indication of what follows from there historically. I kept expecting some definitive plot closure at the conclusion, but instead got ( )
  SciFi-Kindle | Dec 9, 2014 |
Dick is entertaining us about reality and madness, time and death, sin and salvation.... We have our own homegrown Borges.
added by GYKM | editNew Republic, Ursula K. LeGuin

Philip K. Dick's best books always describe a future that is both entirely recognizable and utterly unimaginable.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

Philip K. Dick... has chosen to handle... material too nutty to accept, too admonitory to forget, too haunting to abandon.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post

Nati, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
North, HeidiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiner, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Anne, without whose silence
this book would never have been written
To my wife Tessa and my son Christopher,
with great and awful love
For a week Mr. R. Childan had been anxiously watching the mail.
They know a million tricks , those novelists...Appeals to the base lusts that hide in everyone no matter how respectable on the surface. Yes, the novelist knows humanity how worthless they are, ruled by their testicles, swayed by cowardice, selling out every cause because of their greed...all he's got to do is thump on the drum, and there's the response. And he laughing of course, behind his hand at the effect he gets.128

Alternate history
given alternate history;
what's true? What isn't?
(ed.pendragon)

It's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. the few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco the I Ching is as common as the Yellow Pages. All because some 20 years earlier the United States lost a war--and is now occupied jointly by Nazi Germany and Japan.

This harrowing, Hugo Award-winning novel is the work that established Philip K. Dick as an innovator in science fiction while breaking the barrier between science fiction and the serious novel of ideas. In it Dick offers a haunting vision of history as a nightmare from which it may just be possible to awake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:35 -0400)

After the defeat of the Allies during World War II, the United States is divided up and ruled by the Axis powers.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,673,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible