The Man in the High Castle (Sf Masterworks)…

The Man in the High Castle (Sf Masterworks) (original 1962; edition 2001)

by Philip K. Dick

6,684None557 (3.79)1 / 220
Member:Brookef
Title:The Man in the High Castle (Sf Masterworks)
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Gollancz (2001), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Science Fiction

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (1962)

20th century (58) alternate history (561) alternate reality (31) America (26) American (54) American literature (49) dystopia (107) ebook (41) fantasy (27) fiction (647) Hugo (33) Hugo Award (35) hugo winner (40) I Ching (46) Japan (45) literature (26) Nazis (43) novel (141) paperback (26) Philip K. Dick (63) pkd (49) read (95) science fiction (1,316) sf (272) sff (57) speculative fiction (48) to-read (104) unread (39) USA (41) WWII (142)
    Fatherland by Robert Harris (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are alternate histories set in a USA changed by World War Two.
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Two very different approaches to using an oracle, one the Tarot, another the I Ching, to help structure a book's narrative.
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alt history
    The Lost Continent by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    Sylak: Alternate history following WWI
    SS-GB by Len Deighton (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: Alternate History: Axis powers won WWII
    China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (ahstrick)
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (ateolf)
    The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad (andyl)
    andyl: Alternate history novel that also uses the book within a book device.

English (117)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Slovak (1)  All languages (127)
One of the most brilliant books I have ever read. Dick manages to tell a story that is bone chilling yet filled with moments of humor and humanity. ( )
  byebyelibrary | Mar 9, 2014 |
This is an alternate history/science fiction book. In it, the Germans and Japanese have won World War II and are now ruling most of the world, including the United States. There is a book circulating in the U.S. that supposes the Germans lost the war.

The premise sounded interesting, but I mostly found it boring and I just wanted to get through it so I could move on to another book. Bits and pieces sort of started off interesting, but somehow those bits and pieces just didn’t hold my interest for long. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 20, 2014 |
Alternate history, Germany won WWII, slavery is still legal in the US. Not finished.
  ohernaes | Feb 17, 2014 |
This book was good, mainly enjoyed it for its brief views of an alternate reality. Also like the way characters were linked together unknown to themselves. However I wasn't overawed with the ending. It was like there was a series of different ideas all jockeying for attention and Dick, just could not come up with a plausible ending and so settled for an ending which really answered none of my questions and just threw me out of the narrative. I suppose it was better that occurred at the end of the novel and not half way through. ( )
  Arkrayder | Feb 6, 2014 |
The short descriptions of this book are misleading; it is not about the consequences of an alternate ending to WWII. It is, however, about identity, spiritual being, and moral responsibilities. I had no idea that Dick was into religion, nor that he used the I Ching to actually write the book (though I wonder how true that is,) but I found myself thinking, "This is awfully preachy about religion and soul searching and inner truth and all. Strange."

The plot and the pace pick up in the second half of the book as characters get more involved in plans and secrets are revealed. Though in the end, I am not sure what the whole point is, other than all humans are different but the same and no matter what human nature will drive all of humanity and nature into chaos. All other points are made, discussed, argued, contemplated in silence by characters, and they all point to this final position. ( )
1 vote bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
Dick is entertaining us about reality and madness, time and death, sin and salvation.... We have our own homegrown Borges.
added by GYKM | editNew Republic, Ursula K. LeGuin

Philip K. Dick's best books always describe a future that is both entirely recognizable and utterly unimaginable.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

Philip K. Dick... has chosen to handle... material too nutty to accept, too admonitory to forget, too haunting to abandon.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post

Nati, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
North, HeidiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiner, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Anne, without whose silence
this book would never have been written
To my wife Tessa and my son Christopher,
with great and awful love
For a week Mr. R. Childan had been anxiously watching the mail.
They know a million tricks , those novelists...Appeals to the base lusts that hide in everyone no matter how respectable on the surface. Yes, the novelist knows humanity how worthless they are, ruled by their testicles, swayed by cowardice, selling out every cause because of their greed...all he's got to do is thump on the drum, and there's the response. And he laughing of course, behind his hand at the effect he gets.128

Alternate history
given alternate history;
what's true? What isn't?
(ed.pendragon)

It's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. the few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco the I Ching is as common as the Yellow Pages. All because some 20 years earlier the United States lost a war--and is now occupied jointly by Nazi Germany and Japan.

This harrowing, Hugo Award-winning novel is the work that established Philip K. Dick as an innovator in science fiction while breaking the barrier between science fiction and the serious novel of ideas. In it Dick offers a haunting vision of history as a nightmare from which it may just be possible to awake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:35 -0400)

After the defeat of the Allies during World War II, the United States is divided up and ruled by the Axis powers.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible