The Man in the High Castle (Sf Masterworks)…

The Man in the High Castle (Sf Masterworks) (original 1962; edition 2001)

by Philip K. Dick

7,777177433 (3.75)2 / 332
Member:Brookef
Title:The Man in the High Castle (Sf Masterworks)
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Gollancz (2001), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Science Fiction

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (1962)

Fatherland by Robert Harris (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are alternate histories set in a USA changed by World War Two.
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Two very different approaches to using an oracle, one the Tarot, another the I Ching, to help structure a book's narrative.
    Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alt history
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (ateolf)
    SS-GB by Len Deighton (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: Alternate History: Axis powers won WWII
    The lost continent by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    Sylak: Alternate history following WWI
    China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (ahstrick)
    The iron dream by Norman Spinrad (andyl)
    andyl: Alternate history novel that also uses the book within a book device.

English (165)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (177)
This has been on my shelves for a long time and when I saw it listed as a possible read for this month's SFF/SF Kit, I thought now's the time to check this one off the list. I knew generally what it was about - an alternate history where Germany and Japan win WWII and divvy most of the world up between them.

Most of the book takes place in San Francisco in the Pacific States of America (PSA), which is run by the Japanese, with a little bit in Colorado and Wyoming, which is part of the Rocky Mountain States, a buffer between the PSA and the Nazi-occupied USA (the eastern half of the old US). It centers around 4 main characters and the crises they go through. Most of the characters have read, are reading or at least have heard about a book, banned in the German occupied areas, that posits that the US and the UK win WWII. The 'man in the high castle' is the man who wrote that alternate history - kinda neat, an alternate history within an alternate history.

I wanted to like this classic, award-winning novel more than I did, but I just didn't connect well with the characters - they were all pretty flat to me.

Glad I read it though. ( )
  LisaMorr | Apr 22, 2016 |
I should have known from the dedication: "To my wife Anne, without whose silence this book would never have been written."

I didn't like it and, without having even seen it, I can guarantee the Amazon show has little in common with the book. ( )
  AuntieClio | Mar 28, 2016 |
The Man in High Castle is my first foray into PKD's works. TMHC does offer an interesting scenario if the Allies did lose WWII. THe story is well told and assembled-- although, the halting dialogue of Robert Childan, supposedly indicating his complete indoctrination into Japanese culture, was irritating after a while. Other characters, too, were written in a halting Japanese-esque style of conversation-- the Masouras couple, Mr. Tagomi, etc. I would have liked to see the characters developed a little more; for example, Joe Cinnadella. I would have like to know more about Joe's beginnings. He just happened to be an agent for Germany and just happened to be at the same diner as Julianna Frink? Too many coincidences for me to get through.

I also couldn't feel anything for any of the characters, except for maybe Julianna. The other characters seemed to be underdeveloped.

I did like the chapter where Nobosuke Tagomi wandered into the park after receiving the jewelery from Childan. After studying the jewelery for its meaning, the piece appears to reveal itself and its true meaning at which point Tagomi wanders through the street to discover the Embarcadero freeway-- having never noticed it before. This part of the novel appeared to be some sort of alternate reality where the Axis Powers did in fact lose the war.

The Man in High Castle is an interesting and is well crafted; however, for me, there were s few issues which hindered the text too much. ( )
  Jazmsngr | Mar 25, 2016 |
Amazing novel from 1962. I have read some PKD in the past ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep") but I do not recall much. This one though has convinced me that Dick deserves the acclaim he receives. A literary, philosophical and intellectual masterpiece. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I always enjoy the strangeness of Philip K. Dick's work. I mean, I'm not sure I always understand what he's on about, but I enjoy it. I'll be interested to watch the TV series of this because I have absolutely no idea how they can pull it off. The story revolves around the idea that the Axis powers won in WWII and how differently things would have panned out, while the story within the story explains what would have happened if the Allies had won (which they obviously did and this is a terrible sentence). I'm not sure I can explain it very well or any further than that, but it's an easy enough read with some really interesting stuff. And, as per, some really insane stuff. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
Dick is entertaining us about reality and madness, time and death, sin and salvation.... We have our own homegrown Borges.
added by GYKM | editNew Republic, Ursula K. LeGuin

Philip K. Dick's best books always describe a future that is both entirely recognizable and utterly unimaginable.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

Philip K. Dick... has chosen to handle... material too nutty to accept, too admonitory to forget, too haunting to abandon.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post

Nati, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
North, HeidiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiner, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Anne, without whose silence
this book would never have been written
To my wife Tessa and my son Christopher,
with great and awful love
For a week Mr. R. Childan had been anxiously watching the mail.
They know a million tricks, those novelists...Appeals to the base lusts that hide in everyone no matter how respectable on the surface. Yes, the novelist knows humanity how worthless they are, ruled by their testicles, swayed by cowardice, selling out every cause because of their greed...all he's got to do is thump on the drum, and there's the response. And he laughing of course, behind his hand at the effect he gets. (p. 128)

Alternate history
given alternate history;
what's true? What isn't?
(ed.pendragon)

It's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. the few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco the I Ching is as common as the Yellow Pages. All because some 20 years earlier the United States lost a war--and is now occupied jointly by Nazi Germany and Japan.

This harrowing, Hugo Award-winning novel is the work that established Philip K. Dick as an innovator in science fiction while breaking the barrier between science fiction and the serious novel of ideas. In it Dick offers a haunting vision of history as a nightmare from which it may just be possible to awake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:53 -0400)

After the defeat of the Allies during World War II, the United States is divided up and ruled by the Axis powers.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible