The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

The Man in the High Castle (original 1962; edition 2012)

by Philip K. Dick

7,922188413 (3.74)2 / 347
Member:joecanas
Title:The Man in the High Castle
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Mariner Books (2012), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 288 pages

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (1962)

Fatherland by Robert Harris (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are alternate histories set in a USA changed by World War Two.
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (ateolf)
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alt history
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Two very different approaches to using an oracle, one the Tarot, another the I Ching, to help structure a book's narrative.
    SS-GB by Len Deighton (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: Alternate History: Axis powers won WWII
    The Lost Continent by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    Sylak: Alternate history following WWI
    China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (ahstrick)
    The iron dream by Norman Spinrad (andyl)
    andyl: Alternate history novel that also uses the book within a book device.

English (175)  French (4)  Italian (4)  Spanish (2)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (188)
"This fellow -" Joe closed the book, turned it around to study the back cover. "Abendsen. I don't blame him. He writes this fantasy, imagines how the world would be if the Axis had lost"...
"I have to turn the bacon." She slid away from him and hurried back to the kitchen.
Following after her, still carrying the book, Joe went on, "And the U.S. comes in. After it licks the Japs. And after the war, the U.S. and Britain divide the World. Exactly like Germany and Japan did in reality."

The Man in the High Castle is a Hugo Award-winning alternative history. Amazon recently turned the property into a series, of course, the resulting work bears only a passing resemblance to the written novel. I love films and television based on Dick's works. The way he approaches identity, both real and perceived, self-evaluation, self-doubt and paranoia just really speak to me.
I really liked the way he wrote the Japanese in this novel. Their speech and thought pattern were so distinct, I could almost hear it. I didn't think the Germans were nearly as so well done. I enjoyed the story even though I don't think I have the entire picture Dick painted. Questions remain, but what is it they say - always leave them guessing? I know this one will be in my head for some time to come.
Although Dick is most known in Sci-Fi circles, this is one work that can be read by non-Sci-Fi readers. ( )
  VictoriaPL | Jul 14, 2016 |
I didn't really get this. I wanted to. It's an alternative universe story about a world where Germany and Japan won the second world war. And it has lots of clever thoughts and things going on, none of which quite clicked for me.

There are American craftsmen, who make fakes, and move on from making fakes to making artistic jewellery. The Japanese they try to sell the jewellery to think it is ugly, but decide it has a philosophical property that brings enlightenment. There is an interesting scene where the Japanese businessman tells the craftsman that he should make a deal to have them reproduced in their millions as tacky good luck charms, and the American sees the temptation and strives and overcomes, because to say he wants to profit by selling his designs as cheap and worthless would be to deny their value and their art. It is deep, with strong currents, and interestingly written.

There is a Brazil like sub plot, where a person is arrested and released mostly because of high up currents far beyond their control, in a way that appears meaningless to them.

There is a meeting between a German spy for Japan, and a Japanese general, where important secrets are exchanged, and a shootout with Germans who want to arrest the spy.

There are lots of good descriptions of the feeling of otherness, of racial tension, of the Japanese as the conquerors living in the nice places, with the nice jobs, of the hierarchy making things worse for many others than it is for the white Americans. Of the feeling when you look at people from another culture and you don't understand them, and they feel very other, but also feel superior and you feel ashamed of yourself.

And the main plot, which is a slightly-too-cliched/clever story of a man who has written an alternative universe book in which Germany lost the war, who is being hunted by a German spy who wants to kill him for his blasphemy. In the end he is saved by a woman who the spy has picked up as a decoy. And the big denouement is that he wrote the book using the oracle of the i-ching, and the woman asks the oracle one more question, and it replies that actually Germany _did_ lose the war. And I might be really stupid, but I just didn't Get It. Was it a comment that power corrupts, and that the Germans are trashing the world, and so by winning the war they have really lost? Or was it a breaking of the forth wall, the oracle admitting that they are characters in a book, and in the real world Germany did lose the war?

Anyway, to conclude, clever, with some deep and insightful bits, but sadly too clever for me. ( )
  atreic | Jul 13, 2016 |
World War 2 as envisioned with the other side winning, what is the reality, who really won? Plus the strange importance we put the historical provenance of artefacts and how it affects their value, brilliant. ( )
  Cat-Lib | Jul 3, 2016 |
I mostly love PKD's short stories and haven't read many of his novels. His work is the source material for seemlingly half of all movies made in Hollywood over the last 30 years (seriously, there are 13 TV and Film adaptations of his work, and that's pretty darn impressive). I've had this book on the shelf for years, and probably have read it, but didn't remember much, other than the basic premise.

That is, its an alternate history of the US, set in San Fransico, in a divided North America. Japan and Germany have won WWII and occupy the West and East Coasts (respectivly) of America. The story deals with an interconnected cast of characters, from the head of the Japanese trade mission, an antiques dealer selling old Americana to the Japanese tourists. A Jewish American veteran making jewerly in a society that favors the old, not the new and his ex-wife, who is a judo instructor in the neutral Mountain States Zone.

Possibly the 2 biggest characters in the book, are books. One is the I,Ching, a kind of choose your own prediction book, where the reader generates random numbers in some fashion and looks up their fortune in the book. It is used by practically everyone on the Pacific States of America (PSA) to influence all challenging decisions. The other book is a widely banned novel in the world of Castle, called The Grasshopper Lies Heavy. It is an alternate history where the allies did win the war. But its not our history, this is an alternate within an alternate. The title of our book refers to the reclusive author of Grasshopper, who supposedly lives in a fortress-like estate called the High Castle. As with a lot of PKD's work, it is weird, twisted and very compelling. Now I can watch the TV series on Amazon.

Recommend.

8/10

S: 5/21/16 - F: 6/3/16 (14 Days) ( )
1 vote mahsdad | Jun 25, 2016 |
Apparently I must be some kind of troglodyte or non-intellectual because I simply didn't care for The Man in the High Castle. The book has been on my reading list for ... well, decades, I suppose, but I never got around to reading it. I really enjoyed the Amazon Prime series based (very, very loosely based) on the book, so when I was a looking for a slight change of pace, this seemed like the perfect book. Sadly, it wasn't. I found myself bored. I found some of the writing, in particular when the author was trying to capture the thoughts and speech patters of the Japanese characters or the character who was trying to emulate Japanese speech and thought to be ... well, difficult for no good purpose. The elements of the story were so disconnected that they just never grabbed me. Oh, well. ( )
1 vote MSWallack | Jun 24, 2016 |
Dick is entertaining us about reality and madness, time and death, sin and salvation.... We have our own homegrown Borges.
added by GYKM | editNew Republic, Ursula K. LeGuin

Philip K. Dick's best books always describe a future that is both entirely recognizable and utterly unimaginable.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

Philip K. Dick... has chosen to handle... material too nutty to accept, too admonitory to forget, too haunting to abandon.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post

Nati, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
North, HeidiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiner, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Anne, without whose silence
this book would never have been written
To my wife Tessa and my son Christopher,
with great and awful love
For a week Mr. R. Childan had been anxiously watching the mail.
They know a million tricks, those novelists...Appeals to the base lusts that hide in everyone no matter how respectable on the surface. Yes, the novelist knows humanity how worthless they are, ruled by their testicles, swayed by cowardice, selling out every cause because of their greed...all he's got to do is thump on the drum, and there's the response. And he laughing of course, behind his hand at the effect he gets. (p. 128)

Alternate history
given alternate history;
what's true? What isn't?
(ed.pendragon)

It's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. the few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco the I Ching is as common as the Yellow Pages. All because some 20 years earlier the United States lost a war--and is now occupied jointly by Nazi Germany and Japan.

This harrowing, Hugo Award-winning novel is the work that established Philip K. Dick as an innovator in science fiction while breaking the barrier between science fiction and the serious novel of ideas. In it Dick offers a haunting vision of history as a nightmare from which it may just be possible to awake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:53 -0400)

After the defeat of the Allies during World War II, the United States is divided up and ruled by the Axis powers.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,527,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible