The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

The Man in the High Castle (original 1962; edition 2012)

by Philip K. Dick

8,196196382 (3.74)2 / 361
Member:joecanas
Title:The Man in the High Castle
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Mariner Books (2012), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 288 pages

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (1962)

Fatherland by Robert Harris (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are alternate histories set in a USA changed by World War Two.
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (ateolf)
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alt history
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Two very different approaches to using an oracle, one the Tarot, another the I Ching, to help structure a book's narrative.
    SS-GB by Len Deighton (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: Alternate History: Axis powers won WWII
    The Lost Continent by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    Sylak: Alternate history following WWI
    China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (ahstrick)
    The iron dream by Norman Spinrad (andyl)
    andyl: Alternate history novel that also uses the book within a book device.

English (182)  French (4)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  Slovak (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  English (196)
What if the Axis powers had won the second world war? Dick's brilliant dystopian novel paint a chilling picture of an alternate reality where America is ruled by the Japanese and the Nazis control Europe. But is it real or just a shadow world? One of Dick's best novels. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
"A science fiction novel about an alternate world where Germany and Japan won World War II" doesn't begin to cover it.

From page 1 we are plunged not only into this odd yet strangely familiar world, but into the minds of vividly-realized characters who live there. Much of the book is internal monologue, skillfully written. We share the consciouness of Americans who've lived under Japanese occupation for 20 years and have adapted much of the Asian cultural view--elaborate social ritual, indirection, relentless anxiety over 'face' and 'place.' The characters are oppressed, obsessed, paranoid, and somewhat mad.

Much is thought of the I Ching and Tibetan Book of the Dead. Much is concerned with the Nazi occupation of half the world, political upheaval in Germany, and the threat (circa 1960) of nuclear annihilation.

And there is elaborate irony. Many of the characters are reading a 'popular science fiction novel' about an alternative world in which Japan and Germany lost the war. Is this fictional book a reflection of our world? Is this metafiction, after all?

The Man in the High Castle is like science fiction created by William Blake or Vincent Van Gogh. Deep stuff, brilliantly written. A visionary work.

JackMassa | Nov 23, 2016 |
I was happy to grab this ebook on a good sale. I watched the first season of the series on Amazon Prime a few months ago, and I was curious about how the two mediums compared. The contrast is quite stark. The series uses the basic setting--one where Nazi Germany and Japan won World War II and have effectively divided America--and character names and some of their back stories. The series goes much deeper into the changes to American culture and takes the plot in entirely new directions, though there are a few particular scenes that are directly from the book. The book is much darker, really. The Nazis have committed genocide against Africa, slaughtering everyone, and blacks in America are slaves. Occasional hints about events in Russia and eastern Europe show they have it little better. The Nazis are also traveling to the moon, Mars, and beyond--and they have a war eye on Japan here on Earth.

I won't go into details about how the characters differ, as I don't want to spoil that for readers or viewers, though I will say that Mr. Tagomi remains my favorite character in both versions of the story. He is a man of peace amid very difficult circumstances.

In all, I enjoyed the book in its differences. It's a short, fast read, carried along by sly tension. It doesn't need big, grand explosions--it's about little explosions in short conversations. Most of all, it's a book that makes you think--and I believe the series is doing that, too, even as it takes the basic story in an entirely different direction. ( )
  ladycato | Nov 5, 2016 |
In anticipation of watching the new Amazon show of the same name, I decided to read this interesting PKD book.

Having heard about this book, I had some set expectations about what an adventure it would be. But at the same time, having read other Philip K. Dick books, I already had an expectation for all the weirdness that comes with his writing. By that measure, I was set. In The Man in the High Castle, you are walked through the lives of five main point of view characters as they live through and understand what it means to live in a society where the Axis won World War II. The book is less on the explosions and gun battle side, and more on the psychological impacts that such a society would have on them. And amidst all the drama, one realizes that fate in inevitable. As ambiguous as certain scenes were, I think I'm finally starting to understand the benefit of the way it ended.

Don't start reading this expecting it to be similar to the new show. However, do expect another oddly interesting and spectacular writing from the renowned Philip K. Dick. You'll be glad you did. ( )
  jms001 | Sep 10, 2016 |
Nieuwe vertaling van Laarzen in de nacht
  Marjoles | Sep 9, 2016 |
Dick is entertaining us about reality and madness, time and death, sin and salvation.... We have our own homegrown Borges.
added by GYKM | editNew Republic, Ursula K. LeGuin

Philip K. Dick's best books always describe a future that is both entirely recognizable and utterly unimaginable.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

Philip K. Dick... has chosen to handle... material too nutty to accept, too admonitory to forget, too haunting to abandon.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post

Nati, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
North, HeidiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiner, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Anne, without whose silence
this book would never have been written
To my wife Tessa and my son Christopher,
with great and awful love
For a week Mr. R. Childan had been anxiously watching the mail.
They know a million tricks, those novelists...Appeals to the base lusts that hide in everyone no matter how respectable on the surface. Yes, the novelist knows humanity how worthless they are, ruled by their testicles, swayed by cowardice, selling out every cause because of their greed...all he's got to do is thump on the drum, and there's the response. And he laughing of course, behind his hand at the effect he gets. (p. 128)

Alternate history
given alternate history;
what's true? What isn't?
(ed.pendragon)

It's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. the few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco the I Ching is as common as the Yellow Pages. All because some 20 years earlier the United States lost a war--and is now occupied jointly by Nazi Germany and Japan.

This harrowing, Hugo Award-winning novel is the work that established Philip K. Dick as an innovator in science fiction while breaking the barrier between science fiction and the serious novel of ideas. In it Dick offers a haunting vision of history as a nightmare from which it may just be possible to awake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:53 -0400)

After the defeat of the Allies during World War II, the United States is divided up and ruled by the Axis powers.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,658,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible