The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

The Man in the High Castle (original 1962; edition 2012)

by Philip K. Dick

7,644171445 (3.76)2 / 316
Member:joecanas
Title:The Man in the High Castle
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Mariner Books (2012), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 288 pages

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (1962)

Fatherland by Robert Harris (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are alternate histories set in a USA changed by World War Two.
    The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alternate history
    The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Two very different approaches to using an oracle, one the Tarot, another the I Ching, to help structure a book's narrative.
    Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore (ecleirs24)
    ecleirs24: Alt history
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (ateolf)
    SS-GB by Len Deighton (Michael.Rimmer)
    Michael.Rimmer: Alternate History: Axis powers won WWII
    The lost continent by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Sylak)
    Sylak: Alternate history following WWI
    China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (ahstrick)
    The iron dream by Norman Spinrad (andyl)
    andyl: Alternate history novel that also uses the book within a book device.

English (158)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Slovak (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (170)
Just finished. Enjoyed more than any other of this author's books so far. Brilliant. Gripping plot. Use of I-Ching interesting. ( )
  clarkland | Feb 10, 2016 |
I always enjoy the strangeness of Philip K. Dick's work. I mean, I'm not sure I always understand what he's on about, but I enjoy it. I'll be interested to watch the TV series of this because I have absolutely no idea how they can pull it off. The story revolves around the idea that the Axis powers won in WWII and how differently things would have panned out, while the story within the story explains what would have happened if the Allies had won (which they obviously did and this is a terrible sentence). I'm not sure I can explain it very well or any further than that, but it's an easy enough read with some really interesting stuff. And, as per, some really insane stuff. ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
What to say about this book? I was drawn to it because of the TV show which I love. And I did not expect the book to be like the show. In fact they are so different that I did not find myself saying, hey in the show she did this or that. They are mostly different and that is fine with me.

That said, this book is different from anything I have read before. It is beautifully written. It is interesting. It is challenging. And it definitely left me thinking about it. But in the end I just was not satisfied. Maybe I am just not the reader for this kind of contemplative book. Just not that much action and lots of questions at the end. So I would say that I liked the book enough to try some more PKD. But not for a while. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Jan 30, 2016 |
Dick is entertaining us about reality and madness, time and death, sin and salvation.... We have our own homegrown Borges.
added by GYKM | editNew Republic, Ursula K. LeGuin

Philip K. Dick's best books always describe a future that is both entirely recognizable and utterly unimaginable.
added by GYKM | editThe New York Times Book Review

Philip K. Dick... has chosen to handle... material too nutty to accept, too admonitory to forget, too haunting to abandon.
added by GYKM | editWashington Post

Nati, MaurizioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
North, HeidiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiner, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Anne, without whose silence
this book would never have been written
To my wife Tessa and my son Christopher,
with great and awful love
For a week Mr. R. Childan had been anxiously watching the mail.
They know a million tricks, those novelists...Appeals to the base lusts that hide in everyone no matter how respectable on the surface. Yes, the novelist knows humanity how worthless they are, ruled by their testicles, swayed by cowardice, selling out every cause because of their greed...all he's got to do is thump on the drum, and there's the response. And he laughing of course, behind his hand at the effect he gets. (p. 128)

Alternate history
given alternate history;
what's true? What isn't?
(ed.pendragon)

It's America in 1962. Slavery is legal once again. the few Jews who still survive hide under assumed names. In San Francisco the I Ching is as common as the Yellow Pages. All because some 20 years earlier the United States lost a war--and is now occupied jointly by Nazi Germany and Japan.

This harrowing, Hugo Award-winning novel is the work that established Philip K. Dick as an innovator in science fiction while breaking the barrier between science fiction and the serious novel of ideas. In it Dick offers a haunting vision of history as a nightmare from which it may just be possible to awake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:53 -0400)

After the defeat of the Allies during World War II, the United States is divided up and ruled by the Axis powers.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,173,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible