Ubik (S.F. MASTERWORKS) by Philip K. Dick

Ubik (S.F. MASTERWORKS) (original 1969; edition 2000)

by Philip K. Dick

4,579871,047 (4)102
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Gollancz (2000), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Fiction, US Fiction, Sci-Fi

Ubik by Philip K. Dick (1969)

English (72)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (86)
Like most of Dick's stuff, fairly interesting. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
There are a few interesting concepts and twists in the book, but when it comes to characters, the story falls flat. Most of them are flat and no one develops or changes in any way. You really have no one to root for or against and don't care what happens to them. There are also some strange plot holes and inconsistencies and the magic nature of Ubik is lame. ( )
  brikis98 | Nov 11, 2015 |
I read Ubik last year. It is one of those books you go back to every now and then and it seems that every time you do, something new pops up. Treat yourself with this wonderful story. You won't regret it. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
My first Philip K. Dick and hopefully not my last. This was really exciting but not really satisfying. Is their an Ubik part 2 because I want to read more about Joe Chip! It was funny, action packed and philosophical. I love it! ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Aug 10, 2015 |
I remember my best friend,Mark, introduced this book to me my freshman or sophomore year in college. It was so amazing. The literal reality distortion phenomenon the author used was so amazing. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |

Podaný, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rauch, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robertson, IanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Tony Boucher
At three-thirty A.M. on the night of June 5, 1992, the top telepath in the Sol System fell off the map in the offices of Runciter Associates in New York City.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679736646, Paperback)

Nobody but Philip K. Dick could so successfully combine SF comedy with the unease of reality gone wrong, shifting underfoot like quicksand. Besides grisly ideas like funeral parlors where you swap gossip for the advice of the frozen dead, Ubik (1969) offers such deadpan farce as a moneyless character's attack on the robot apartment door that demands a five-cent toll:

"I'll sue you," the door said as the first screw fell out.

Joe Chip said, "I've never been sued by a door. But I guess I can live through it."

Chip works for Glen Runciter's anti-psi security agency, which hires out its talents to block telepathic snooping and paranormal dirty tricks. When its special team tackles a big job on the Moon, something goes terribly wrong. Runciter is killed, it seems--but messages from him now appear on toilet walls, traffic tickets, or product labels. Meanwhile, fragments of reality are timeslipping into past versions: Joe Chip's beloved stereo system reverts to a hand-cranked 78 player with bamboo needles. Why does Runciter's face appear on U.S. coins? Why the repeated ads for a hard-to-find universal panacea called Ubik ("safe when taken as directed")?

The true, chilling state of affairs slowly becomes clear, though the villain isn't who Joe Chip thinks. And this is Dick country, where final truths are never quite final and--with the help of Ubik--the reality/illusion balance can still be tilted the other way. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:36 -0400)

A dead man sends haunting warnings back from the grave, and Joe Chip must solve these mysteries to determine his own real or surreal existence

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,889,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible