Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan

A Crown of Swords (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Robert Jordan

Member:fizzingwhizbee
Title:A Crown of Swords
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 896 pages
Tags:Wheel of Time

A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan (1996)

I was a bit wary when I started this book because a lot of readers complain about the lengths of the series from now on. And actually, I liked this book a lot. True, Robert Jordan doesn't rush the action; his books feel more character driven than plot driven in fact. and he likes to describe a lot: clothes, people in the street, architecture... I like that a lot. I feel like I'm in the story, with the characters. This series has spoiled my fun with other good books because the story feels too rushed and issues not suitably adressed in those other books. And at long last women stop spending their times sniffing haughtily and Nynaeve leaves her braid more or less alone. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
**The Wheel of Time ****® is a PBS Great American Read Selection! Now in development for TV!**
**Since its debut in 1990, The Wheel of Time® by Robert Jordan has captivated millions of readers around the globe with its scope, originality, and compelling characters.**
The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.
Elayne, Aviendha, and Mat come ever closer to the bowl *ter'angreal *that may reverse the world's endless heat wave and restore natural weather. Egwene begins to gather all manner of women who can channel--Sea Folk, Windfinders, Wise Ones, and some surprising others. And above all, Rand faces the dread Forsaken Sammael, in the shadows of Shadar Logoth, where the blood-hungry mist, Mashadar, waits for prey.
**TV series update: **"Sony will produce along with Red Eagle Entertainment and Radar Pictures. Rafe Judkins is attached to write and executive produce. Judkins previously worked on shows such as ABC’s “Agents of SHIELD,” the Netflix series “Hemlock Grove,” and the NBC series “Chuck.” Red Eagle partners Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will executive produce along with Radar’s Ted Field and Mike Weber. Darren Lemke will also executive produce, with Jordan’s widow Harriet McDougal serving as consulting producer." ―*Variety*
**The Wheel of Time****®**
*The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time*
**By Robert Jordan, Harriet McDougal, Alan Romanczuk, and Maria Simons**
*The Wheel of Time Companion*
**By Robert Jordan and ****Amy Romanczuk**
*Patterns of the Wheel: **Coloring Art Based on Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time*

buffygurl | Mar 8, 2019 |
The storm is coming.

This would, but for one thing, be one of my favorites of the series and a 5-star book for me. Egwene's storyline and development is fantastic. More is learned of the Atha'an Miere, which I find to be one of the more interesting cultures. The deviousness of the Forsaken is delightfully wicked. The darkfriends as a whole are cunning and intriguing.

A Crown of Swords loses a star for one thing. I have always found the portrayal of the relationship between Matt and Tylin extremely disturbing. She rapes him. If you question that at all, I ask you to read that storyline again only with it firmly in your mind that Tylin is a man and Matt is a woman. Would you be okay with that? A king refusing to feed a woman because she rejected his advances? A man cornering a woman in a locked room who has told him no, removing her clothes with a knife, and having sex with her? I don't think you'd be cool with that. At least I hope you wouldn't. We treat a male being sexually preyed upon by a female very differently. We don't really consider it rape. Many don't even believe that a man can be raped by a woman. Matt's treatment by Tylin is treated as a topic of humor. It's presented as his “just desserts” because he's a unabashed woman-chaser and tends to ogle. Even if it weren't made abundantly clear that Matt doesn't chase anyone who isn't interested (and it is), these are not things that make rape okay. If you doubt that, try it on as rape defenses by a man in a court of law. “Your honor, she flirts with lots of men. She even looks at them.”

Yeah, that's not okay for me.
  Zoes_Human | Mar 2, 2019 |
Dumai's Wells happened. And Rand al'Thor is going to be difficult from here on in. Which is why he'll need minders more than ever. Cadsuane and Sorilea come up with a plan.

I don't know why they created new art for the trade paperback here instead of keeping the much-vaunted ebook art as with the rest of the series (minus 'Path of Daggers'), but I'm going to assume its because fans hate Nynaeve. Which seems unfair. This was the single most important piece of her character arc.

The new cover has the back of Cadsuane's head confronting a ridiculously posed Rand and the Asha'man (nee Pips) in a scene....that doesn't exist?

'A Crown of Swords' has Rand reeling from his rough treatment in the last novel and dealing with two very different, but subdued groups of Aes Sedai. Verin, Alanna, et. al. of the Rebels have sworn fealty to him. Unheard of. Impossible! And he is also keeping the White Tower Group as prisoners in charge of Aiel Wise Ones. Unheard of. Impossible! I have to admire his restraint, actually.

Perrin and Faile, along with Loial, Min, and Berlaine are among those ensnared in the plotting of Carhien.

Mat continues south, but is pointed in a differenet direction, and a rendezvous with Egwene, now Amyrlin, and Elayne, Nynaeve. Aviendha, and Birgitte. Siuan and Leane and Logain have been Healed by Nynaeve and can touch the Power again.

The big takeaway from 'Crown' was Ebou Dar. I loved the hunt for the Bowl of the Winds and the other discoveries there. It was the first new location in awhile that I was excited to explore. Jordan's thumbnail sketches of different cultures may be on the shallow side, but for whatever reason it clicked here.

I realize I'd forgotten to mention the Morgase plot thread in the last review. I'll forget about it here, too. Oh, the Asha'man too. With all the over-sharing from other plot-lines I'd have liked to hear more from them as well, but it takes until 'Winter's Heart' to get a good peek at life in the Black Tower.

A much more satisfying book for me, but I can understand why many fans dislike it. Especially when looking at what's coming up next.

The Wheel of Time

Next: 'The Path of Daggers'

Previous: 'Lord of Chaos' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 21, 2019 |
Perhaps I should be rating the books of this series higher. No matter how annoyed I get at the (surprisingly similar) aggrevating behavior of each of the original Two Rivers characters in persisting in thinking that they know better than everyone else and refusing to share potentially important information with their friends, once I start reading one of the books I can't stop until I am done.

This 7th entry in the series had many of these annoying moments (too many) but it was also the first book in the series in which a character showed some growth - surprisingly Mat Cauthon. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 6, 2018 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he one with the land. Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield. He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow. Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

- From a much-disputed translation of 'The Prophesies of the Dragon' by the poet Kyera Termendal, of Shiota, believed to have been published between FY 700 and FY 800.
To Harriet, who deserves the credit once again.
From the tall arched window, close onto eighty spans above the ground, not far below the top of the White Tower, Elaida could see for miles beyond Tar Valon, to the rolling plains and forests that bordered the broad River Erinin, running down from north and west before it divided around the white walls of the great island city.

Rand al'Thor, il Drago Rinato, si prepara ad attaccare il Reietto Sammael in Illian, e al tempo stesso si adopera per reprimere la ribellione portata avanti dai nobili di Cairhien. Con l’aiuto di Asha’man, Rand dovrà affrontare in un terribile duello Sammael a Shadar Logoth per conquistare la corona di Illian, un tempo nota con il nome di Corona d’Alloro e ora chiamata Corona di Spade.
Egwnene al’Vere e Siuan Sanche tentano di mettersi alla guida delle Aes Sedai ribelli a Saidar e contrastare il gruppo comandato da Elaida nella Torre Bianca di Tar Valon. Intanto, nella città di Ebou Dar, Elayne Trakand, Nynaeve al’Meara e Mat Cauthon sono ancora in cerca del ter’angreal, il solo mezzo con il quale sarebbe possibile bloccare l’innaturale clima torrido che il Tenebroso ha gettato sul mondo. Il Popolo del Mare sarà loro alleato nella ricerca e nello scontro con un Gholam.
What's happening here? / Some kind of plot or intrigue / I'll go back to sleep (davidwil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550285, Mass Market Paperback)

Robert Jordan has created a rich and intricate tapestry of characters in his Wheel of Time series. In this seventh volume, Rand al'Thor--the Dragon Reborn--draws ever closer to the Last Battle as a stifling heat grips the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

Elayne, Aviendha, and Mat work to restore the world's natural weather, while Egwene gathers a group of female channelers and Rand confronts the dread Forsaken Sammael.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible