A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book…

A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book 7) (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Robert Jordan

Title:A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book 7)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1997), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Tags:fantasy, 2005, 2013, Wheel of Time

A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan (1996)

The Wheel weaves as the wheel wills....

The wheel of time is slowing down a bit, not a ton of action in this one, but it's still your favorite main characters continuing forward with the massive world and story line that is the Wheel of Time. ( )
  masteryoda716 | Aug 31, 2016 |
*spoilers* OK as always I absolutely loved it! I am complete in love with this series. Well I hated finding out that Liah is still alive and then Rand has to kill her so she won't suffer. Mat's part ends with a bit of a cliffhanger, but I think he may end up being captive and that is how he will meet his daughter of the 9 moons!! YaY for Lan and Nynaeve!!! I'm so happy. Now I am just waiting for her to bring him from his slump, because I don't think that Moiraine is dead. Galina is so getting what she deserves. It is impossible to feel bad for the black ajah. I'm wondering who helped Rand at Shadar Logoth. I have a theory but I'll not say because I would hate to be wrong lol. I also don't think that Sammael is dead. What was with Rand actually wanting to be King. That was a bit weird and out of character. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Summary: Rand, still recovering from the effects of Dumai's Wells, and still fighting to maintain his ever-more-tenuous grip on sanity, returns to Cairhien and begins to establish plans with Perrin for removing the Forsaken Sammael from his seat in Illian. Egwene comes to realize how various factions of the rebel Salidar Aes Sedai are trying to manipulate her, and finds a way to gather loyal allies. But most of this book concerns events in Ebou Dar, where Nynaeve and Elayne are searching for the Bowl of the Winds, a ter'angreal that can fix the weather. Mat, sent to guard them, finds himself in a worse predicament than even his luck can get him out of when he catches the eye of Queen Tylin.

Review: Although I gave this book 4.5 stars when I first read it, if you'd asked me about it before I started this re-read, I would have said that it was one of the boring books in the middle - a span that I had thought started after Lord of Chaos. But actually, on this re-read, I wound up enjoying this more than I had expected. All of the problems that plague the worst parts of this series are still present - there is a lot of sniffing, braid tugging, and skirt-smoothing going on, men still think women are impossible to understand and women still think men are too dim to reason with, there is a lot of unnecessary description of clothing and furniture and such, none of the characters seems capable of ever articulating what they're thinking, all of our three ta'veren think that the other two understand more about women than they do, etc. (Although Rand thinking that "Perrin has such a peaceful marriage"... I realize you are the Dragon Reborn and have other things on your mind and all, but seriously, NO ONE is that unobservant.) But many of them seemed at least somewhat scaled back from peak levels elsewhere in the series (although Elayne and Nynaeve fighting with each other is still present, and still tedious).

There are also not many chapters from Egwene, who is one of my favorites, or Perrin, who used to be one of my favorites, although when he is on-screen in this book he is spending all of his time being annoying about sacrificing everything and everyone for Faile, who is the worst (so maybe less Perrin at this point in the series is actually a blessing. Remind me of that once I get to Winter's Heart.) By this point, Mat has become one of my favorites, although he spends the entirety of this book being sexually harrased (and assaulted!) by Tylin, which bothered me a lot more this time around than it did on a first read through ten years ago - it's behaviour that would be totally unacceptable if the genders were reversed, and as is, I think Jordan probably meant it to read as funny or sexy, but it came across as severely gross and inappropriate. And then at the end Mat has a building dropped on him, which marks his absence from the next book, alas.

But, for as much time is spent on relatively inconsequential things, lots of big things happen in this book, or at least things that will be important later on. Min and Rand finally admit their feelings for each other and have sex (leaving Elayne and Egwene the lone virgins, I think?) Nynaeve finally breaks her block (this is likely responsible for the reduced amounts of braid-tugging) and meets up again with Lan. Mat buys his ring with the fox and ravens. We are introduced to Cadsuane, Moridin, the Kin, and the gholam. The Seanchan take Amadicia and Ebou Dar. And then, at the end, Rand kills Sammael, except not really, since it's mostly Mashadar that kills him and we're never really sure he's dead (except RJ said in interviews that he really was), and it's kind of anticlimactic and definitely one of the weaker endings. But all in all, this book went pretty quickly, with not too much bloat - at least not as much as I'd remembered - and while it's certainly not among the best books in the series, it's not the worst, either... although it's starting to be on the downhill slope. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: This is the series that made me a lifelong fantasy fan, so despite its abundant weaknesses, of course I think it should probably be read (or at least attempted) by anyone who likes the genre. Don’t start anywhere but the beginning, though. ( )
  fyrefly98 | May 6, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I was pleasantly surprised (as I have been by the last couple of books) that there was enough relevant plottage going on to keep me wanting to read the book, rather than just trudging through it out of some self-flaggelation type of obligation. I almost gave the book 4 stars. Almost.

The ending is . . . lame. WoT endings are usually by far the best part of the book, but this ending is a bit anti-climatical and doesn't leave us with much closure. I'm still not convinced that Sammael is dead, no matter what anybody says.

It's hard to believe that this book only covers a period of about 10 days. Jordan's habit of backtracking every book to keep us up to date with what was going on with the rest of the world at the end of the last book is extremely annoying. And it just gets worse as the series goes along. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he one with the land. Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield. He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow. Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

- From a much-disputed translation of 'The Prophesies of the Dragon' by the poet Kyera Termendal, of Shiota, believed to have been published between FY 700 and FY 800.
To Harriet, who deserves the credit once again.
From the tall arched window, close onto eighty spans above the ground, not far below the top of the White Tower, Elaida could see for miles beyond Tar Valon, to the rolling plains and forests that bordered the broad River Erinin, running down from north and west before it divided around the white walls of the great island city.

Rand al'Thor, il Drago Rinato, si prepara ad attaccare il Reietto Sammael in Illian, e al tempo stesso si adopera per reprimere la ribellione portata avanti dai nobili di Cairhien. Con l’aiuto di Asha’man, Rand dovrà affrontare in un terribile duello Sammael a Shadar Logoth per conquistare la corona di Illian, un tempo nota con il nome di Corona d’Alloro e ora chiamata Corona di Spade.
Egwnene al’Vere e Siuan Sanche tentano di mettersi alla guida delle Aes Sedai ribelli a Saidar e contrastare il gruppo comandato da Elaida nella Torre Bianca di Tar Valon. Intanto, nella città di Ebou Dar, Elayne Trakand, Nynaeve al’Meara e Mat Cauthon sono ancora in cerca del ter’angreal, il solo mezzo con il quale sarebbe possibile bloccare l’innaturale clima torrido che il Tenebroso ha gettato sul mondo. Il Popolo del Mare sarà loro alleato nella ricerca e nello scontro con un Gholam.
What's happening here? / Some kind of plot or intrigue / I'll go back to sleep (davidwil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550285, Mass Market Paperback)

Robert Jordan has created a rich and intricate tapestry of characters in his Wheel of Time series. In this seventh volume, Rand al'Thor--the Dragon Reborn--draws ever closer to the Last Battle as a stifling heat grips the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

Elayne, Aviendha, and Mat work to restore the world's natural weather, while Egwene gathers a group of female channelers and Rand confronts the dread Forsaken Sammael.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,763,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible