A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book…

A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book 7) (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Robert Jordan

Member:xavierroy
Title:A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book 7)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1997), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Tags:fantasy, 2005, 2013, Wheel of Time

A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan (1996)

Recently added byknersus, yerond, Frostmantle, drhapgood, private library, dividedby5, irasanborn

It was very good. Much better than the previous book, which lagged at times. This book stuck with each storyline for a longer period and had more action. All in all, an engrossing read! On to Book Eight! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
This is where the series really started to drag for me and this re-read is no different. It took me a long time to work through this one and I kept putting it down, pulling other books off the shelf and then coming back to it. While quite a bit does happen and the story moved forward, it probably could have been about 400 pages shorter and just as effective. I will of course keep moving forward as I do recall the pace starting to pick up again here in the next book or so and I believe book 8 is the farthest I've been in the series so I'm looking forward to seeing what is after that. Still love the series even thought this book is not one of my favorites. ( )
  harpua | Jun 28, 2014 |
Better than the last one. not so long winded. much quicker pace and the story went somewhere. ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

My reviews of The Wheel of Time novels are getting just as repetitive as the actual books. There's really not much more to say. A Crown of Swords is another long slow installment in which there are too many detailed descriptions of clothing, references to spanking, concerns about bosoms, and people blushing. There are pages and pages which chronicle secondary characters' extensive internal thoughts. But what bugs me most, though, are the constant depictions of people and places as if they have a corporate personality:

"Men strutted arrogantly along the streets with often ragged vests and no shirts, wearing great brass hoops in their ears and brass finger rings set with colored glass, one knife or sometimes two stuck behind their belts. Hands hovering near knives, they stared as though daring someone to give the wrong twist to a look. Others skulked from corner to corner, doorway to doorway with hooded eyes, imitating the slat-ribbed dogs that sometimes snarled from a dark alleyway barely wide enough for a man to squeeze into. Those men hunched over their knives and there was no way to tell which would run and which stab. By and large, the women made any of the men appear humble, parading in worn dresses and twice as much brass jewelry as the men. They carried knives too, of course, and their bold dark eyes sent ten sorts of challenge in every glance ... Children darted from every second door with chipped pottery cups of water, sent by their mothers in case the Wise Women wished a drink. Men with scarred faces and murder etched into their eyes stared openmouthed at seven Wise Women together, then bobbed jerky bows and inquired politely if they could be of assistance, was there anything that required carrying? Women, sometimes with as many scars and always eyes to make Tylin flinch, curtsied awkwardly and breathlessly asked whether they might supply directions, had anyone made a bother of themselves to bring so many Wise Women?"

If I found myself in this place, I'd think it was The Twilight Zone!

I will say, however, that someone must have told Mr Jordan to quit with the braid yanking, because Nynaeve seems to be attempting to stop the habit. Now, if we could just get all of those ladies to stop adjusting their clothes every time they feel any sort of negative emotion... and I'll be happy on the day that an Aes Sedai can walk down the street without making someone flinch, cringe, jump, squeak, drop something, or run away.

With all this detailed description, there's not much time for action. There are only a few significant plot developments. The most important one is an event which we've been waiting for for the last 3 books (at least) which finally occurs very quickly and anti-climatically in the last chapter of this book. But, if you've read this far into The Wheel of Time, that's no surprise, is it? And, if you've read this far, you feel like it's too late to stop now, don't you?

I'm listening to this on audiobook (no patience for the print versions) and I should mention that Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are amazing readers. After all this time, I suppose these characters are almost like family to them, and they've got the personalities down perfectly. Their voices and additions of droll humor really instill some much-needed life into these novels.
Read more Robert Jordan book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
DNF... I'm stalling on my WoT re-read. At about 30% I realized that I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. The whole point of doing it was to enjoy it, and to get me pumped up for AMoL. So! Instead of putting off the decision, I stopped around chapter 14 and read chapter summaries for the rest. I'll do that for the next few books, and will pick back up actually rereading at either Knife of Dreams of the Sanderson books. It will be better this way.. I just need a little one or two book break before continuing. Still four stars though.. It's not bad even though it's a little slow... I just burned out. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he one with the land. Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield. He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow. Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

- From a much-disputed translation of 'The Prophesies of the Dragon' by the poet Kyera Termendal, of Shiota, believed to have been published between FY 700 and FY 800.
To Harriet, who deserves the credit once again.
From the tall arched window, close onto eighty spans above the ground, not far below the top of the White Tower, Elaida could see for miles beyond Tar Valon, to the rolling plains and forests that bordered the broad River Erinin, running down from north and west before it divided around the white walls of the great island city.

Rand al'Thor, il Drago Rinato, si prepara ad attaccare il Reietto Sammael in Illian, e al tempo stesso si adopera per reprimere la ribellione portata avanti dai nobili di Cairhien. Con l’aiuto di Asha’man, Rand dovrà affrontare in un terribile duello Sammael a Shadar Logoth per conquistare la corona di Illian, un tempo nota con il nome di Corona d’Alloro e ora chiamata Corona di Spade.
Egwnene al’Vere e Siuan Sanche tentano di mettersi alla guida delle Aes Sedai ribelli a Saidar e contrastare il gruppo comandato da Elaida nella Torre Bianca di Tar Valon. Intanto, nella città di Ebou Dar, Elayne Trakand, Nynaeve al’Meara e Mat Cauthon sono ancora in cerca del ter’angreal, il solo mezzo con il quale sarebbe possibile bloccare l’innaturale clima torrido che il Tenebroso ha gettato sul mondo. Il Popolo del Mare sarà loro alleato nella ricerca e nello scontro con un Gholam.
What's happening here? / Some kind of plot or intrigue / I'll go back to sleep (davidwil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550285, Mass Market Paperback)

Robert Jordan has created a rich and intricate tapestry of characters in his Wheel of Time series. In this seventh volume, Rand al'Thor--the Dragon Reborn--draws ever closer to the Last Battle as a stifling heat grips the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:55 -0400)

Elayne, Aviendha, and Mat work to restore the world's natural weather, while Egwene gathers a group of female channelers and Rand confronts the dread Forsaken Sammael.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,635,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible