A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book…

A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book 7) (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Robert Jordan

Member:xavierroy
Title:A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, Book 7)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1997), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Tags:fantasy, 2005, 2013, Wheel of Time

A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan (1996)

Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I was pleasantly surprised (as I have been by the last couple of books) that there was enough relevant plottage going on to keep me wanting to read the book, rather than just trudging through it out of some self-flaggelation type of obligation. I almost gave the book 4 stars. Almost.

The ending is . . . lame. WoT endings are usually by far the best part of the book, but this ending is a bit anti-climatical and doesn't leave us with much closure. I'm still not convinced that Sammael is dead, no matter what anybody says.

It's hard to believe that this book only covers a period of about 10 days. Jordan's habit of backtracking every book to keep us up to date with what was going on with the rest of the world at the end of the last book is extremely annoying. And it just gets worse as the series goes along. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
Crown of Swords, the seventh installment of the Wheel of Time series, marks a turning point – and not one that led to better things. This was the book I picked up all those years ago with the reaction "???" Closely followed by "!!!" This was the book about which I made notes, still kicking around somewhere I'm sure, about how wide the margins got and how big the text got, and, subsequently, how much the word count lessened. This was where the series really began to look a bit threadbare.

It's still a shock to close the previous installment and open this one to see text a good point or two larger, along with margins squishing the text area down considerably. Also, there's the simple problem that, for a very long time … nothing happens. That was the complaint I heard from a lot of readers in a lot of reviews about several of the books, and I always refrained from jumping onto that bandwagon – but good grief. It's one of the only status updates I made on Goodreads in the first half of 2014, when I was conducting the Big WOT Read: "Three hundred pages in - the length of a good many books - and so far? Rand has gone from Point A to Point B, Egwene has had a headache and done some thinking, Nynaeve and the others have gone from Point C to Point D, and Mat has watched a horse race. The print is larger, the margins larger, the book is shorter, and NOTHING is happening. Now I remember why I stopped reading WOT." That's it. No exaggeration, no sarcasm – that's literally what happens. It's a bit mad.

In the second half of the book, a few things happen – still not much – but in a way it's worse. Because the second half of the book largely consists of Mat being sexually harassed, and … um… a couple of other things. Oh, and then near the end Mat has a building dropped on him, and that was it for him for a while. Was he dead? I didn't think so, because of all the prophecies that had been made for him that hadn't seen fulfillment … but I didn't know, because as far as I remembered his wondering where his flaming luck went was the last time his name was even mentioned for several books. My memory is not great, but I very clearly recall being outraged as I finished the next book – and the next – and the next – without any kind of resolution to the situation. Or even, iirc, any of the other characters even wondering about the situation. "Where's Mat, I wonder?": never happened.

The writing even at this point was still entertaining. The worldbuilding was still impressive. As I may or may not have said before, I have to hand it to RJ: he credibly came up with a number of devices which allow his characters to move great distances in short amounts of time, which kept the sprawl of the story from holding up the telling of the story. (THAT's not what holds it up.) Enough – just enough – happened to retain interest, to keep a reader (me, at least) from denting a wall with the book and giving up on the series entirely … in fact, new mysteries still popped up (along with lots of new characters) which … at this stage in the game it was a study in endurance.

The problem is … no, not The problem. There are a few. *A* problem is the well-worn rut the writing has fallen into by this point. Fallen, and in the classic bad commercial parlance, can't get up. Nynaeve, who should be a strong character, is a walking collection of tics – but then, most of the women are. I'd love to get hold of this book in an editable form, and remove all the braid-pulling, skirt-smoothing, stalking, glowering, and catfights. It would be a novella. If I was then able to remove all the instances in which men pondered how little they understood women, and women pondered how little sense men had … and if all mention of clothing, men's or women's, with the silks and feathers and scrolls on sleeves, and my lord why should I have to know what color every single person is wearing unless it's relevant (which, once in a great while, it is) … I think this review might contain more words than the abridged book. It's a shame; the braid-tugging didn't really start in earnest till book 3, to my surprise, and it was so nice without it. Once begun, though, it was an immediate flood of tugging and gripping and yanking and otherwise abused scalp. I counted, until I got bored with it; it was absurd. If I had the ambition – and enough fingers – I would keep track of skirt-smoothings in this book. The total count would be high.

Oh, and then there's the sniffing. Seriously, sir, have you ever actually met anyone who sniffed this much without being chronically allergic to everything? It becomes a sort of synonym for "Nynaeve was annoyed" or "angry" or whatever – and, sadly, Nynaeve is nearly always annoyed or angry. That just is not enjoyable to read.

If I didn't know for certain that Robert Jordan had a long and very happy marriage, I would honestly guess that he didn't know any women very well. Had, perhaps, only read about women in the more satiric types of fiction. Because my God are the women in these books ridiculous. The constant smoothing of – or gripping of – skirts, and of course the constant fussing with hair by characters who don't just go ahead and yank on it like Nynaeve.

It's all such a shame. It's a darn good story, even still. But it should not take chapter after chapter just to get a bunch of characters into place to work a spell, which is what happens in this book. Every female character should not be more of an idiotic termagant than the last one. A decent chunk of this one is spent with Nynaeve in a temper, Elayne pretending she's not, then Nynaeve apologizing and Elayne reacting with shock – Nynaeve! Apologize! Light! ( )
  Stewartry | Jan 10, 2016 |
I know that WOT is not for everyone, but returning to these books after many years I found the first six books to be more or less perfect for what they are. This seventh book to my taste is where Jordan really started to lose his way.

Rand's return to Cairhien offers a promising enough beginning, but what follows doesn't feel particularly important and doesn't prove particularly entertaining. Just when it might have felt that Jordan should start moving the overarching storyline towards a conclusion instead we are introduced to numerous new (or revived) characters, few if any of which will end up adding much to the series. The activities of our main characters start to feel more like filler than anything monumental (e.g., just about everything in the Ebou Dar sequence). And after offering spectacular climactic endings to the first six books, Jordan here leaves us much more confused than satisfied. ( )
  clong | Dec 25, 2015 |
Still fighting the madness that is slowly trying to manifest within him, along with enemies in every direction, Rand continues to grow stronger and gain more support in this volume of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. A Crown of Swords is the seventh book in the series and is definitely better than the last two in my opinion. The characters all continue to evolve as the story continues toward an ending I can’t wait to see. I love this series and hate to see it end, but at the same time I want to know what is going to happen. ( )
  iAMjacksID | Jul 24, 2015 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he one with the land. Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield. He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow. Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love.

- From a much-disputed translation of 'The Prophesies of the Dragon' by the poet Kyera Termendal, of Shiota, believed to have been published between FY 700 and FY 800.
To Harriet, who deserves the credit once again.
From the tall arched window, close onto eighty spans above the ground, not far below the top of the White Tower, Elaida could see for miles beyond Tar Valon, to the rolling plains and forests that bordered the broad River Erinin, running down from north and west before it divided around the white walls of the great island city.

Rand al'Thor, il Drago Rinato, si prepara ad attaccare il Reietto Sammael in Illian, e al tempo stesso si adopera per reprimere la ribellione portata avanti dai nobili di Cairhien. Con l’aiuto di Asha’man, Rand dovrà affrontare in un terribile duello Sammael a Shadar Logoth per conquistare la corona di Illian, un tempo nota con il nome di Corona d’Alloro e ora chiamata Corona di Spade.
Egwnene al’Vere e Siuan Sanche tentano di mettersi alla guida delle Aes Sedai ribelli a Saidar e contrastare il gruppo comandato da Elaida nella Torre Bianca di Tar Valon. Intanto, nella città di Ebou Dar, Elayne Trakand, Nynaeve al’Meara e Mat Cauthon sono ancora in cerca del ter’angreal, il solo mezzo con il quale sarebbe possibile bloccare l’innaturale clima torrido che il Tenebroso ha gettato sul mondo. Il Popolo del Mare sarà loro alleato nella ricerca e nello scontro con un Gholam.
What's happening here? / Some kind of plot or intrigue / I'll go back to sleep (davidwil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550285, Mass Market Paperback)

Robert Jordan has created a rich and intricate tapestry of characters in his Wheel of Time series. In this seventh volume, Rand al'Thor--the Dragon Reborn--draws ever closer to the Last Battle as a stifling heat grips the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

Elayne, Aviendha, and Mat work to restore the world's natural weather, while Egwene gathers a group of female channelers and Rand confronts the dread Forsaken Sammael.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,134,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible