Biology by Neil A. Campbell

Biology (1987)

by Neil A. Campbell

Recently added byprivate library, rivkaselin, afrn, nrezmerski, dmg111, VMNHeducation, kerpami, jm021

English (8)  German (2)  All languages (10)
Incredibly thorough. ( )
  tatasmagik | Jan 25, 2011 |
I wasn't going to review Biology by Neil A. Campbell, because well...
1. It's ubiquitous.
2. I studied from the sixth edition in high school for Biology AP and the eighth edition for first-year Biology, and while I read it, there were definitely places I didn't because I didn't have to or didn't want to or I fell asleep or I briefly wanted a social life.
3. Where are those Ph.D's that show I am expert enough to review a first-year textbook about biology?

But then, I remembered:
1. Until those free-source online textbooks gain user-friendliness and traction against the capitalist beast that is the textbook system, it will remain ubiquitous. (And boy, is that rant about the abuses of the textbook business long, off-topic, and totally for another day.)
2. That means I spent two years with it, and if nothing else I learned via idea diffusion while my head rested on its glossy pages because I got an A- grade average. (Idea diffusion is college student urban myth that is going to be proven any year now, just you wait and see.)
3. What else is education for than to teach you that you know nothing?

In short, I like it, actually. Even if the prose gets unwieldy at times, and the layout gets overwhelming... there's always a beautiful picture of a tentacly nautilus I can doodle into my notes or an interview with scientist who gets grants to give IQ tests to ants or something on the next page.

Can't hurt to get in that mythical volumes edition though; your back will probably thank me.

Also my prickly second-quarter Biology professor had a signed edition with him always. That level of respect has got to mean something. ( )
1 vote kaionvin | Aug 22, 2010 |
This giant book is pretty much the reason that I have not done much leisure reading for the past 20-30 weeks. It's pretty much all I read...sigh. ( )
1 vote Chicken_Cat | Aug 3, 2010 |
This was the textbook for all three of my intro-level Biology courses. It's a really good book. At some point, if I end up taking the Biology GRE, I'll probably just need to memorize pretty much the entire thing. :D ( )
  herebedragons | May 31, 2010 |
A basic biology textbook. ( )
  06nwingert | Feb 7, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080537146X, Hardcover)

Neil Campbell and Jane Reece's BIOLOGY remains unsurpassed as the most successful majors biology textbook in the world. This text has invited more than 4 million students into the study of this dynamic and essential discipline.The authors have restructured each chapter around a conceptual framework of five or six big ideas. An Overview draws students in and sets the stage for the rest of the chapter, each numbered Concept Head announces the beginning of a new concept, and Concept Check questions at the end of each chapter encourage students to assess their mastery of a given concept. New Inquiry Figures focus students on the experimental process, and new Research Method Figures illustrate important techniques in biology. Each chapter ends with a Scientific Inquiry Question that asks students to apply scientific investigation skills to the content of the chapter.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:11 -0400)

Accompanying CD-ROM, by Richard Liebaert, provides 120 animated activities, quizzes for each chapter, links to websites, and a glossary.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,227,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible