Murder at Redwood Cove by Janet Finsilver

Murder at Redwood Cove (edition 2015)

by Janet Finsilver (Author)

Member:Kris_Anderson
Title:Murder at Redwood Cove
Authors:Janet Finsilver (Author)
Info:Lyrical Underground (2015), 198 pages

Murder at Redwood Cove by Janet Finsilver

Murder at Redwood Cove is the first book in a new cozy series and I really enjoyed it. I actually rated it 4.5 stars, but bumped it to 5. Kelly Jackson, our main character, works as an Executive Administrator for Resorts International. When the manager of the Bed & Breakfast in Mendocino County California, Bob, has an accident and dies, Kelly is sent to take over temporarily and to determine if the company needs to update it's literature about the danger on the cliffs. Once she arrives she realizes that the town is busily preparing for the upcoming Taste of Wine and Chocolate Festival that is being held on the grounds of the B & B. The staff at the B & B consists of handyman Daniel Stevens who lives with his young daughter Allie, Housekeeper/Cook Helen Rogers who lives onsite with her rambunctious son Tommy and his faithful basset hound, Fred and some part time cleaning staff. Shortly after arriving, Kelly meets a group of Senior Citizens who call themselves the Silver Sentinels. They are friends of Bob's and amateur sleuths. They do not believe that Bob's death was an accident but that he was murdered. As more incidents occur, the Deputy Sheriff can not longer ignore Kelly and the Sentinels.

This was a fast paced story, whose developed plot kept me turning the pages. The setting of the B & B was so beautiful and the characters to warm and caring, that Kelly can't bring herself to leave this wonderful place. The young characters of Allie and Tommy were a breath of fresh air. Tommy, the misfit who is bullied, finds himself a protector in Allie and it is wonderful to see how they fit into the story and the mystery. A great mystery with amazing characters, what more could a cozy mystery lover want. I am definitely going to pick up the second in this series, Murder at the Mansion. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Oct 11, 2016 |
I was really impressed by a presentation author Janet Finsilver did during Left Coast Crime, and I just couldn't resist buying a copy of her first Kelly Jackson mystery set in northern California. Murder at Redwood Cove is every bit as good as Finsilver's talk.

The northern California setting is put to good use in this book, and I also learned a bit about running a bed and breakfast as well as a foodie festival. In fact, by book's end I was wishing I could book a room at the Redwood Cove B&B.

Finsilver has assembled a strong, interesting cast, led by Kelly Jackson, a young woman who's smart, sassy, brave, and definitely not lacking in common sense. She wants to solve the mystery, but first and foremost in her mind is the safety of everyone involved. That's such a refreshing change from heroines with out-of-control curiosity. The retired "posse" calling themselves the Silver Sentinels are good folks to join an investigation because they each have their own special skill set-- even if it's sometimes just being in the immediate vicinity to keep an eye on someone who's in danger. Old folks just blend into the woodwork, don't you know?

Another part that I really appreciated in this book was the young boy Tommy and his basset hound Fred. Even though Fred was considered to be a reject from a class that works with dogs to show them how to detect cancer, he's the best sort of buddy for Tommy, who feels like a bit of a reject himself. After finishing Murder at Redwood Cove, I had a big smile on my face, and I had to see if there was another Kelly Jackson mystery available. There is. Murder at the Mansion, and it features two beagles trained to sniff out bedbugs and termites.

I like dogs with special abilities being featured in the series, but that's not the only reason why I'll be reading the author's books. Janet Finsilver weaves a gorgeous location with an intriguing mystery and a strong cast into a book so enjoyable it puts a smile on my face. Give Murder at Redwood Cove a try. You just might be smiling, too. ( )
  cathyskye | Jun 16, 2016 |
Murder at Redwood Cove by Janet Finsilver is the first book in a new cozy mystery series. Kelly Jackson is an Executive Administrator for Resorts International. Her first single assignment is the Redwood Cove Bed and Breakfast. The manager, Bob Phillips died in an accident and Kelly has been sent to take over as interim manager. Redwood Cove, California is a beautiful location with a lovely town. Shortly after arriving Kelly meets the Silver Sentinels. A group of senior citizens from the town who solve crimes. Bob Phillips was a member. The Silver Sentinels do not believe that Bob’s death is an accident, but they are unable to convince Deputy Sheriff Bill Stanton. After Bob’s office is ransacked, Kelly discovers an envelope in the safe. Bob had written in the information in code but there was a note asking that the contents be given to the Silver Sentinels. The group is thrilled to have something to investigate. Kelly decides to help the group and starts asking questions around town. Kelly is hoping to find out Bob’s movements the day he died from his phone. The phone is returned to Kelly’s office and stolen before she can look at it. Someone has something to hide. Will Kelly and the Silver Sentinels be able to figure out who wanted Bob dead and why?

I enjoyed reading Murder at Redwood Cove. It is a good first book in a series. I liked the setting of Redwood Cove and the Silver Sentinels (a fun group). I think Kelly will be a good main character, but she needs a little more development. We are given just a few details on Kelly’s life prior to coming to Redwood Cove (I found out more about Fred the basset hound than I did about Kelly). The mystery was complex (just how I like them) and not easy to solve (though I did). I give Murder at Redwood Cove 4 out of 5 stars. I will definitely be reading the next book in this series.

I received a complimentary copy of Murder at Redwood Cove from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Oct 13, 2015 |
Kelly Jackson has been working as an assistant to the owner of a hotel chain and now has been presented the opportunity to show what she can do when she is assigned to replace a resort manager who recently died. Little does she know what she's getting her herself into when she arrives at the peaceful Inn at Redwood Cove and finds that the GM may have been murdered.

There are a group senior citizens who call themselves the Silver Sentinels who are determined to prove that the former manager did not die accidentally and they enlist Kelly's assistance and then come to her aid when mysterious events continue to happen.

I loved the setting, the characters and the mystery- great start for a new series! ( )
  cyderry | Sep 24, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,491,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible