A Thomas Merton reader by Thomas Merton

A Thomas Merton reader (edition 1974)

by Thomas Merton (Editor)

Member:an_eternalstudent
Title:A Thomas Merton reader
Authors:Thomas Merton
Info:Garden City, N.Y., Image Books, 1974. 516 p. 18 cm. Rev. ed
Tags:monasticism, monks, trappists

A Thomas Merton Reader by Thomas P. McDonnell (Editor)

This large collection of excerpts, chosen with input from Thomas Merton, is more than introduction to his work but would work as a reader for someone not familiar with the incredible scope and productivity of the late Fr. Louis. The grouping principal escapes me but it is effective, each piece or poem playing off against its neighbors to mutually highlight their subject matter, eloquence and the development of Merton's spiritual insight and vision. The one criticism I have is that this collection includes almost none of Merton's work, some of it censored at the time, about issues of war and peace; over the years, Merton's influence on Catholic thinking about these issues has grown, so it would have been useful to include some more of them. Overall, this is a great collection, a reminder of what a gift Merton is to us all. ( )
  nmele | Nov 2, 2017 |
I can't remember what piqued my interest in Thomas Merton, but I'm glad it was so piqued. This volume contains bits and pieces from across the spectrum of his writing, and is, so far as I know, a good introduction. It has certainly made me want to read more of his work. What is most valuable here is the complete image of Merton from his feckless youth to a measured and intense maturity.

Standouts for me: "Fire Watch, July 4, 1952," "Christian Culture Needs Oriental Wisdom," "Prometheus: A Meditation," "Two Asian Letters." ( )
  elfortunawe | Jul 27, 2009 |
This edition brings us Thomas Merton is all his aspects: spiritual writer, poet, peacemaker, man among men, servant of God -- a one-volume synopsis of his quest for truth, drawn not only from his major works but from his lesser-known writings as well. ( )
  LTW | Sep 5, 2006 |

McDonnell, Thomas P.Editorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peck, M. ScottIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A Thomas Merton Reader provides a complete view of Merton, in all his aspects: contemplative, spiritual writer, poet, peacemaker, and social critic. In this closely knit volume are significant selections not only from his major works but from some lesser-known, yet equally valuable, writings as well. Presented here is a living Thomas Merton, expounding through prose and poetry on an abundance of important themes -- war, love, peace, Eastern thought and spirituality, monastic life, art, contemplation, and solitude.

M. Scott Peck puts the writings included here into the context of Merton's life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:05 -0400)

Essays, meditations, parables, and verse explore Merton's spirituality and present his thoughts on war, peace, love, the Psalms, and Christian life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible