Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth by Naguib…

Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth (1985)

by Naguib Mahfouz

English (8)  Spanish (7)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  All languages (17)
"Pass no judgment upon a matter until you have heard all testimonies"
By sally tarbox on 6 October 2017
Format: Kindle Edition
"Pass no judgment upon a matter until you have heard all testimonies"
By sally tarbox on 6 October 2017
Format: Paperback
An interesting novel narrated by a fictitious young man in Ancient Egypt who is trying to find out the facts about the recently deposed 'heretic' pharaoh Akhenaten.
In short chapters he interviews a succession of witnesses - various priests, officials and family members, culminating with his wife Nefertiti. The basic facts are reiterated repeatedly - Akhenaten became obsessed with religion in his youth, finally demanding that the Egyptians replace their pantheon of gods with the One and Only God - a deity who has much in common with the Christian image of a God of love.
Though the facts are similar, the interpretations of his conduct are very different. The priests of Amun accuse him of insanity and depravity; much is made of his feminine appearance. Some think it was all a sham to wrest power away from the Establishment.
For some, on the other hand, Akhenaten is a Christ-like figure as he attempts to introduce true worship without violence. Pure natured, a man who claims to have had a divine visitation...
An interesting look at history but also a reflection on the almost impossibility of finding out the truth. ( )
  starbox | Oct 5, 2017 |
Based on actual Ancient Egypt events, the book historical-fiction-alises the events surrounding Akhenaten - husband of Nefertiti and father of Tutankhamen - 's rejection of the traditional polytheistic worship in favour of one centred around the sun god Aten. Chapter one introduces the premise of the book where Meriamun, a naïve young man, in search of the truth of the events (which is of course a very naïve and youthful ideal and luckily turns out to be a characterisation of Meriamun rather than Mahfouz), interviews contemporaries of Akhenaten. The first interview (chapter two) is with the high priest who naturally strongly opposed Akhenaten's new worship and gives an extremely biased account with liberal splashes of sexism (powerful women are evil as are men with "feminine" features.) At this point, I was afraid that was the overall tone of the book. But then comes Chapter three and onwards, where every chapter is a rehash of the same events from different perspectives. And the sudden burst of nuance! Of depth of each preceding characterisations! Of the complexity of contradictions! It was all so good, especially for someone with no knowledge of the events and people and completely worth reading again after looking up all the characters such as Ay and Horenbah to get a new perspective on their stories. ( )
  kitzyl | Apr 19, 2017 |
On the Nile at full seasonal flood, the narrator, Meriamun, and his father drift past the abandoned city of Akhetaten, Pharoah Akhenaten's once beautiful capital, which he had created after abandoning Thebes. The son asks the father, who is connected at court, to write letters of reference for him so that he might interview those who were involved with the "heretic" king. Mahfouz is admirably swift in establishing the core conflict. Amun is the main God of Egypt, but after Akhenaten's beloved brother dies in the face of Amun's perceived indifference Akhenaten turns to Aten, the sun god. He becomes a zealous monotheist among politically connected polytheists. Not only that, but he prohibits religious pluralism and disperses the priesthoods and assets of the old gods. Now all of Amun's very powerful priests are out on their ears and they are not pleased. When Akhenaten's father dies he ascends to Pharoah and all his new ministers are more than happy to swear alliegiance to Aten. When reports arrive that enemies are attacking the borders, and corruption is overtaking his officials, the new king discounts the news by saying that his "love" has yet to have its effect. "Soon you will see the tree of love heavy with fruit," he says. There is an intimation of homosexuality, perhaps none more stark than that last phrase, but it's beside the point. Akhenaten is a kind of a second millenium BC prophet, in contact with his one god, while all around him the people high and low indulge their polytheistic beliefs. His message of victorious love seems like something from the Summer of Love. It's at such moments that one wonders how close Mahfouz hews to the archaeological record. Multiple first-person narrators tell the story of the "heretic" king. Some love him, some hate him, but all are in one way or another biased. It is the reader's job to sort out the real Akhenaten from all this passionate distortion. ( )
  William345 | Jun 11, 2014 |
This is a slight, slim work, in more ways than one. Only 168 pages and very spare in style, I read this novella in little more than two hours, but I didn't feel it had much impact--it felt too lightweight to me. Akhenaten has been called the first monotheist--he's a terribly important historical figure and Ancient Egypt is to me a fascinating culture. Naguib Mahfouz for his part is a celebrated author--a Nobel Prize Winner. So I'm surprised I only liked this rather than loved it.

I think it's something in how he frames the tale, for all that it's not all that simple, and does draw you into the questions of what is the truth, it kept me at a distance. It's framed as the first person account of a young Egyptian, Meriamun, who, seeing the haunting ruins of the "city of the heretic" is moved to go among those who can still remember Akhenaten, and ask them to tell their stories. Although from time to time we get his impression of those he interviews, the novel is largely taken up with the different accounts of people as told to him years after the fact. That means I never felt truly immersed in what happens.

That doesn't mean that the approach doesn't have its fascinations. We get the views of those who hated the heretic pharaoh--the high priest of Amun, a neglected wife in his harem, his sister-in-law, and so obviously are they filled with malice, it's easy to dismiss their accounts of Akhenaten as "perverse," "mad" and "weak." It's also easy to accept much of what we're told by those who loved him, particularly since there is no benefit to them now to show any devotion to the dead heretic. They describe him as brilliant, "sweet" and a "noble soul."

Even so, there are aspects of this composite portrait that don't ring true to me, and make me wonder at Mahfouz's intentions. Mahfouz was himself a believing Muslim, one who spoke up for peace. So in painting this portrait of this man who believes in the "one and only God"--a god of "love, peace, and joy" I can imagine he sees in Akhenaten a forerunner of Muhammad.

But this I'm sure of--you can't ban religions other than your own, and have peace. And you can't be a ruler of an empire without force. You can't build an entire new city in a short space as Akhenaten did without forced labor and heavy taxes. I know of too many times in history where regimes have tried to force radical changes on the way of life of millions in the name of high ideals--whether it be Revolutionary France or Mao's "Great Leap Forward," they've all led to plenty of bloodshed. So the picture of this radical yet pacifistic pharaoh doesn't make sense to me. There's a great panoply of portraits of Akhenaten here--and I'm not sure I believe in any of them--something feels left out. Although maybe that's Mahfouz's intention. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Jan 12, 2012 |
This a wonderful (if a little short) tale of the reign of Akhenaten, told by those closest to him to a scribe in search of the truth. It shines the light on a period about which we know many isolated facts, but the whole truth remains a mystery. It's also a pointed reminder that "the truth" is never black and white, but dependent on our own perspectives and prejudices.

This is the first book by Naguib Mahfouz that I've read. His prose is elegantly simple and effective, and the translation (thankfully) does it justice. Highly recommended if you have any interest in Egypt's history.
3 vote tessavance | Sep 30, 2008 |

Naguib Mahfouzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abu-Hassabo, TagreidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It all began with a glance, a glance that grew into desire, as the ship pushed its way against the calm, strong current at the end of the flood season.

From the winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature and author of the Cairo trilogy, comes Akhenaten, a fascinating work of fiction about the most infamous pharaoh of ancient Egypt.

In this beguiling new novel, originally published in 1985 and now appearing for the first time in the United States, Mahfouz tells with extraordinary insight the story of the "heretic pharaoh," or "sun king,"--and the first known monotheistic ruler--whose iconoclastic and controversial reign during the 18th Dynasty (1540-1307 B.C.) has uncanny resonance with modern sensibilities.   Narrating the novel is a young man with a passion for the truth, who questions the pharaoh's contemporaries after his horrible death--including Akhenaten's closest friends, his most bitter enemies, and finally his enigmatic wife, Nefertiti--in an effort to discover what really happened in those strange, dark days at Akhenaten's court.  As our narrator and each of the subjects he interviews contribute their version of Akhenaten, "the truth" becomes increasingly evanescent.  Akhenaten encompasses all of the contradictions his subjects see in him: at once cruel and empathic, feminine and barbaric, mad and divinely inspired, his character, as Mahfouz imagines him, is eerily modern, and fascinatingly ethereal.  An ambitious and exceptionally lucid and accessible book, Akhenaten is a work only Mahfouz could render so elegantly, so irresistibly.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:35 -0400)

Nobel laureate Naguib Mahfouz tells with remarkable insight the story of the "heretic" pharaoh whose iconoclastic and controversial career has much resonance with modern sensibilities. Years after the king's death, a young man with a passion for the truth questions the pharaoh's contemporaries in an effort to discover how he really died.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,946,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible