Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation:…

Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation: The Definitive Guide to the… (2002)

by Olivia Judson

Recently added byRex_Lui, theawkwardlibrarian, private library, ejmw, WestBranch, danabug113, Soothscribe, therc
    Headless Males Make Great Lovers: And Other Unusual Natural Histories by Marty Crump (Cloverlimes)
    Sperm Wars: Infidelity, Sexual Conflict, and Other Bedroom Battles by Robin Baker (espertus)
    espertus: A fascinating discussion, backed with research results, on the unconscious battle of the sexes among human beings
    Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach (kaelirenee)
    Promiscuity: An Evolutionary History of Sperm Competition by Tim Birkhead (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More in-depth and scholarly look at multiple mating in females, although still very readable and understandable for the non-scientist.

English (31)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (34)
An entertaining look at reproduction on earth in the form of an "advice column" for sexually frustrated sponges, fish, insects, etc. Really amazing range of options has evolved.
  ritaer | Dec 16, 2018 |
This was a fun book, and eye-opening! I thought I knew some things about nature, but there's some truly weird stuff out there. From creatures with thousands of genders, to those who clone themselves and do not need sex at all, and everything in between, this book has them. It is formatted like an advice column with a creature writing in with a question and Dr. Tatiana answering it and providing lots of information along the way. ( )
  glade1 | Apr 25, 2018 |
This is the only biology non-fiction book I have found so fascinating that I read it while walking (nearly fell down the stairs) on the loo (no comment) and in the bath (my Kobo heroically risking death by drowning).

The conceit of various creatures writing to the wise Dr Tatiana for advice on their bizarre sex lives gives the book a certain verve and amusement value that, for example, my university texts did not have. The facts and theories, however, are just as good.

Judson (or Dr Tatiana) has obviously picked on the weirder reaches of sexual behaviour, just as I suspect the agony-aunt columns in newspapers do, but her discussion places each of these behaviours in its evolutionary place. Nobody's sexual conduct is bizarre for the sake of it (except maybe Homo sapiens, but that's a different book) - there is a reason why heads get bitten off, penises are covered in spines, and some organisms change sex, and Dr Tatiana explains the evolutionary logic behind each. She even briefly considers the evolutionary value of homosexuality: it has persisted in many species, so what is it for?

Apart from the sheer fascination, the thing that I most valued about this book was the comprehensive list of references. It's one thing to be interesting - it's quite another to provide the material to allow the interested reader to go and find more detail should they wish to do so.

I would recommend this book not only for anyone interested in the evolutionary biology of sex and wanting an overview of the landscape, as it were, but also anyone who is contemplating writing a science-fiction book involving aliens. ( )
  T_K_Elliott | Mar 12, 2017 |
Science books are so much more fun when they're dirty! ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
Booktalk: Relationships are never easy. That's why the lovelorn ask for advice from folks like Dear Abby, Ann Landers...and Dr. Tatiana. Here are some of the letters Dr. Tatiana has received in her mailbag (read p 25, 76, 33). Dr. Tatiana dispenses practical advice with humor, compassion and a good dose of biology that's understandable, readable and extremely interesting. You'll never look at sex and love in the same way again once you've read DR. TATIANA'S SEX ADVICE TO ALL CREATION.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Olivia Judsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rundgren, PerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Horace, who taught me to write
(A Note from Dr. Tatiana): In my buisness I get asked a lot of questions.
Dear Dr. Tatiana,
My name's Twiggy, and I'm a stick insect.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805063323, Paperback)

Finally, a how-to guide, in the guise of a Q&A advice column, for marching, flying, or slithering into the battle of the sexes, whatever your species. In this entertaining and informative book, evolutionary biologist Olivia Judson presents "letters" from sexually frustrated animals, birds, and insects who ask "Dr. Tatiana" to explain some sexual oddity. For example, "Don't Wanna Be Butch in Botswana" writes, "I'm a spotted hyena, a girl. The only trouble is, I've got a large phallus. I can't help feeling that this is unladylike. What's wrong with me?" Each question leads Dr. T. into a fascinating explanation about the sex life of this species, sprinkled with sprightly stories about other species with similar attributes or behavior.

You'll learn why one stick-insect copulation lasts for 10 weeks (to prevent other males from gaining access to the fertile female) and why the black-winged damselfly's penis has bristles (to scrape out his rival's sperm). You'll learn that male and female orangutans masturbate with sex toys fashioned from leaves and twigs, that slugs are hermaphrodites with penises on their heads, and that females in more than 80 species eat their lovers before, during, or after sex. You'll also ponder human sexuality when you learn that "monogamy is one of the most deviant behaviors in biology" (although jackdaws, chinstrap penguins, California mice, and some termites swear by it) and "natural selection, it seems, often smiles on strumpets."

Highly recommended--you'll read this through just for the fun of it and have plenty of odd facts with which to dazzle your dinner companions. --Joan Price

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

"Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation is a unique guidebook to sex. It reveals, for example, when necrophilia is acceptable, and who should commit bestiality with whom. It discloses the best time to have a sex change, how to have a virgin birth, and when to eat your lover. It also advises on more mundane matters - such as male pregnancy and the joys of a detachable penis."."Funny, quirky, and wonderfully informative, the book comprises letters from all creatures worried about their bizarre sex lives to the wise Dr. Tatiana (a.k.a. Olivia Judson), the only sex columnist in creation with a prodigious knowledge of evolutionary biology. Fusing natural history with advice to the lovelorn, blending wit and rigor, she is able to reassure her anxious correspondents that although the acts they describe might sound appalling and unnatural, they are actually perfectly normal - so long as you are not a human. In the process, she explains the science behind it all, from Darwin's theory of sexual selection to why sexual reproduction exists in the first place, and, applying the standards of the human world to the mating habits of the natural one, in the end she reveals the wonders of both."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible