The Engineer of Human Souls by Josef…

The Engineer of Human Souls (original 1977; edition 1986)

by Josef Skvorecky, Paul Wilson (Translator)

Member:Robert3167
Title:The Engineer of Human Souls
Authors:Josef Skvorecky
Other authors:Paul Wilson (Translator)
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:Contemporary Fiction

The Engineer of Human Souls by Josef Škvorecký (1977)

How can one resist a book, the Contents for which read:

Chapter One: Poe
Chapter Two: Hawthorne
Chapter Three: Twain
Chapter Four: Crane
Chapter Five: Fitzgerald
Chapter Six: Conrad
Chapter Seven: Lovecraft
1 vote jasbro | Jul 19, 2012 |
Wonderful irony and wit from the writer and publlisher of czech material in canada. I like all of his books, but this one is, I think, his best. ( )
  almigwin | Apr 11, 2012 |
This is a sprawling, non-linear novel with a large cast of characters, occasionally written in stream-of-consciousness mode - not for everyone. The novel provides a good look at the confusing, dangerous times under German occupation during WWII and the transition to Communist rule after as well as the expatriate Czech community in Canada. Skvorecky’s stand-in is Danny Smiricky, a writer and jazz musician who in the present teaches at the Canadian Edenvale College. Though there is a lot of narrative fragmentation, the story generally follows Danny’s adventures in the past, in his hometown of Kostelec and after in Prague, and in the present in Toronto after emigrating. Numerous letters are interspersed between the stories, describing the lives of Danny’s acquaintances during the war, after in Czechoslovakia, and in various other countries after emigration. The first person narrator has a very engaging voice so I enjoyed reading despite the fact that Danny is a somewhat cowardly womanizer in the past and still one in the present but one with much more detachment.

In the past, Danny has been pressed into working in a factory making planes for the Germans. He flirts with his pretty coworker, the engaged village girl Nadia, and also recollects his loves for other women. Some of his friends are involved in an effort to sabotage the Germans. Danny also makes an attempt at his factory job – mostly to impress Nadia. After the war, everyone scrambles to revise their ‘story’ but Danny is deaf to the change in the winds at first. Later he learns to play the game. In Toronto, Danny describes the Czech emigrant community, his class on American literature, his relationships with women and the occasional intrusion of a stray Communist spy.

Many novels switch between the past and present lives of the main characters. Often, the present section is vastly inferior and less well-developed. Here, though, both sections are engaging and funny. Both had some narrative arcs (though in both plotlines can be loose and random as well) – the strongest in the past were Danny’s relationship with Nadia and his ineffectual attempts at sabotage. In the present, the relationship of Danny’s friend and fellow ex-Czech, Veronika, as well as her general unhappiness, had the most narrative thrust.

Whenever I read the book, I would read large chunks at one time, but there was never a strong rush to finish. This was partly due to the structure of the novel – individual sections were very interesting, but sometimes the whole plot didn’t have much momentum. There are a number of digressions from characters who are peripheral, but they added to the whole picture. The large cast of characters made it hard to keep everyone straight, especially with all the jumping around. Sometimes there are whole groups of people that can be hard to distinguish – Danny’s friends at Kostelec and members of the Czech community in Toronto. The most memorable stories often come from side characters as they describe life under two repressive regimes, crazy escapes from Communism or humorous returns home. I think the best way to take on this book is to just go with the flow of switching narrative, occasional character confusion, interpolated letters and humor from odd places. ( )
1 vote DieFledermaus | Dec 31, 2011 |
Josef Skvorecky’s groundbreaking novel of he last days of the Nazi Protectorate of Czechoslovakia. Danny Smiricky is as concerned with woman and jazz as he is with the departure of the defeated Nazis and the advancing Soviet army. Still, there is no way to avoid the political absurdities that are just around the corner. ( )
1 vote zenosbooks | Feb 24, 2009 |
This was the first book of Skvorecky's I ever read & I was prompted to do so after watching some footage of the author reading from the book. It's been over fifteen years since I've read it and I only read it the once. Great book full of beautiful writing - Skvorecky's masterpiece. ( )
  J.v.d.A. | Jun 28, 2007 |

Škvorecký, Josefprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lehto, LeeviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Truth lies in the nuances

Anatole France
What thou lovest well remains, the rest is dross
the rest is dross
What thou lov'st well shall not be reft from thee
What thou lov'st well is true heritage

Exra Pound
Listen Tor, here's the real problem: whatever happens, I shall always defend you against the guns of the firing squad. You, on the other hand, must consent in my execution

Albert Camus
On days when sadness came, I surrendered to laughter; Having surrendered, I became gloomy.

Viktor Dyk
To Generalize is to be an idiot. To Particularize is the Alone Distinction of Merit. General Knowledges are those Knowledges that Idiots possess.

William Blake
To Santnerova
Poe

Outside the window, which is high, narrow and gothic, the cold Canadian wind blends two whitenesses: snowflakes sifting down from lowering clouds and snowdust lifted and whirled by the wind from the land stretching southwards to Lake Ontario.
-I liked it a lot. All art that makes us think is valuable.
-Think? What about?
-About everything. What else is there to think about?

'"The Engineer Of Human Souls" spins its own story from the torn entrails of Central Europe. Yet what emerges is comedy - clack, grimacing and explosively funny, as peculiarly middle European as the despairing wit of prague's own Franz Kafka' - "Time".

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:38 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,359,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible