What Is the What by Dave Eggers

What Is the What (2006)

by Dave Eggers

Recently added bycaity88, larose13, vgalgano, sweff, alo1224, JenniferBrunick, private library, TerryLewis, syzara, lucyh

English (134)  Dutch (8)  Catalan (2)  All (144)
It's a great book, but I have to stop reading it (after about 100 pages) because it's unrelentingly upsetting. ( )
  comfypants | Jun 21, 2017 |
Amazing eye opening book, really enjoyed reading it and it opened my eyes and made me really think on the refugee crisis. ( )
  phenske | Sep 26, 2016 |
Amazing biography/autobiography of one Sudanese man. Fascinating on many levels.
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
About fifty fewer pages and this would have been a five-star read for me. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
About fifty fewer pages and this would have been a five-star read for me. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |

Dave Eggersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Graham, DionNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have no reason not to answer the door so I answer the door.
"They can come in different shapes and guises, but always wars come in increments. I am convinced there are steps, and that once these events are set into motion, they are virtually impossible to reverse."
"I speak to these people, and I speak to you because I cannot help it. It gives me strength, almost unbelievable strength, to know that you are there. I covet your eyes, your ears, the collapsible space between us. How blessed are we to have each other? I am alive and you are alive so we must fill the air with our words. I will fill today, tomorrow, every day until I am taken back to God. I will tell stories to people who listen and to people who don't want to listen, to people who seek me out and to those who run."

New York Times Notable Book
New York Times Bestseller

What Is the What
is the epic novel based on the life of Valentino Achak Deng who, along with thousands of other children —the so-called Lost Boys—was forced to leave his village in Sudan at the age of seven and trek hundreds of miles by foot, pursued by militias, government bombers, and wild animals, crossing the deserts of three countries to find freedom. When he finally is resettled in the United States, he finds a life full of promise, but also heartache and myriad new challenges. Moving, suspenseful, and unexpectedly funny, What Is the What is an astonishing novel that illuminates the lives of millions through one extraordinary man.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:38 -0400)

A biographical novel traces the story of Valentino Achak Deng, who as a boy was separated from his family when his village in southern Sudan was attacked, and became one of the estimated 17,000 "lost boys of Sudan" before relocating from a Kenyan refugee camp to Atlanta in 2001.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible