Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand

My Lady Jane

by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows

Series: The Lady Janies (1)

6204323,183 (4.13)27

I had really high hopes from this one as it seemed to have an interesting premise - retelling of history with a bit of magic thrown in. But, I forgot that it is a YA and like most of the novels in that genre, it also has the basic YA themes (such as a handsome hero, beautiful heroine, physical attraction, love story, etc) permeating throughout the narrative which, truth be told, completely put me off! Well, the blame lies with me only, I should have know better... All the characters were teenagers after all. However, after reading some great reviews calling it funny and hilarious, I was excited to get into it but to my dismay it was not that funny, leave alone hilarious... well maybe, one or two sentences here and there made me smile but essentially all the characters read the same, both the love stories were running on similar lines (fun bickering turns into to true love), the ending was pretty predictable, and there was no hook... I even thought about quitting after going through 90 percent of the almost 500 page tome. That's how much I was looking forward to reading the ending (#SarcasmAlert). Thus, for me, the novel about history with a twist seemed to be too frivolous. Even though, I did enjoy bits and parts, but on a whole, it could have been avoided (especially when I have so little time to read as it is!). ( )
  Megha17 | Jan 17, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this novel. It’s along the lines of The Princess Bride (a book and movie from before most of you were born; stream it--it’s iconic).

Edward, the King of England, is dying. It is truly not fair because he’s only sixteen. He feels quite sorry for himself. His advisor wants to discuss the line of succession and suggests Edward’s cousin Lady Jane Grey. Her future son can then be king because women can’t rule a country. How absurd! He has two sisters, so they would be skipped over because they are female, which seems unfair as he has selected Jane, a female.

Jane is shocked when she discovers that her cousin Edward, whom she adores, has arranged a marriage for her. She’s not too worried because the previous engagements never came to fruition. Oh, the wedding is this week! Yikes, this may actually happen. Upon visiting Edward, Jane learns that he is dying and has secured the throne through her children. She knows that she cannot refuse and this wedding will definitely take place. It does. Her husband, however, has a reputation and there is something off about him…..

Gifford, call him G, must marry according to his father. He is to marry Lady Jane Grey. He’s heard no one knows what she looks like because a book is always in front of her face. He doesn’t particularly want to marry, but what choice does he have?

I don’t know how many students will “get” the book because you are all so young. I think it’s for older students, although there is absolutely nothing inappropriate. It’s fun and so worth one’s time. I highly recommend listening to it instead of reading it because the performance is outstanding! I’m not sure reading it would have the same effect. For older students and faculty, run, don’t walk, to this book. ( )
  acargile | Dec 5, 2018 |
The very definition of a romp. A few too many pop culture references, which interrupted the flow of the story for me sometimes. But other than that, just chock full of likeable characters, irreverent humor, and shapeshifters. A damn good time. ( )
  courtney.osteen | Nov 7, 2018 |
This was an ambitious story intended for purely fun and whimsical purposes. In real life, Lady Jane Grey became queen for a very short time after her cousin died then she was killed off. But in this story she lives and on top of that there are magical elements added to make for a fun adventure.

I wanted to like this book but honestly, it was too long and I wasn't a fan of each main character. King Edward was hilarious but kind of whiny. Gifford was the best character of them all but I found Jane to be an insufferable know-it-all and there was no G without Jane so....

It almost felt like the story dragged too much and when it finally got to the good bits I lost interest. The romances were cute though but it wasn't enough for me to like the whole book. ( )
  Jessika.C | Oct 30, 2018 |
This work of historical fiction flat out revels in the fact that it is completely made up. This version of the story of Lady Jane Grey, a.k.a. the Nine Day Queen, has the boy King Edward being manipulated and slowly poisoned by his adviser Lord Dudley, Duke of Northumberland. Edward designates his favorite cousin Jane to be his heir and has her married to Dudley's son Guildford.

So far, similar to reality, but sillier. In this alternate history, some people are Effians, that is having the ability to change into an animal. Swiftly, Jane inherits the the throne when Edward is declared dead, and then she and Guildford are forced to flee when Mary in turn claims the throne. Jane, Guildford, and Edward (spoiler: he's not dead) all have adventures, discover new powers, and meet interesting people along the way to a happier ending than reality. The book is riotously funny both in the dialogue and the authors asides. The audio book is excellently performed by Katherine Kellgren. ( )
1 vote Othemts | Aug 22, 2018 |

Hand, Cynthiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ashton, Brodimain authorall editionsconfirmed
Meadows, Jodimain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hadley, SamCover Designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stempel, JennaBook and cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What is history but a fable agreed upon?

-- Napoleon Bonaparte
The crown is not my right. It pleaseth me not.

-- Lady Jane Grey
For everyone who knows there was enough room for Leonardo DiCaprio on that door.
And for England. We're really sorry for what we're about to do to your history.
You may think you know the story. (Prologue)
The king, it turned out, was dying.

The comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey. In My Lady Jane, coauthors Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows have created a one-of-a-kind fantasy in the tradition of The Princess Bride, featuring a reluctant king, an even more reluctant queen, a noble steed, and only a passing resemblance to actual history—because sometimes history needs a little help.

At sixteen, Lady Jane Grey is about to be married off to a stranger and caught up in a conspiracy to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But those trifling problems aren’t for Jane to worry about. Jane gets to be Queen of England.

Like that could go wrong [retrieved 9/27/2016]

Edward is the King of England. He's also dying, which is inconvenient, as he's only sixteen and he'd rather be planning his first kiss than who will inherit his crown. Jane, Edward's cousin, is far more interested in books than romance. Unfortunately, Edward has arranged to marry her off to Gifford secure the line of succession. And Gifford is, well, a horse. That is, he an Eian (eth-y-un, for the uninitiated) who becomes a chestnut steed every morning, but wakes as a man at dusk, with a mouthful of hay. Very undignified. The plot thickens as the three are drawn into a dangerous conspiracy, and have to engage in some conspiring of their own. But can they pull off their plan before it's off with their heads?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,435,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible