Gibbon’s Decline and Fall by Sheri S.…

Gibbon’s Decline and Fall

by Sheri S. Tepper

A war of the sexes whose heroines are members of a feminist club. They take on an alliance of men who want to reduce women to the role of slaves.

OMG what a great book! It was written in 1996 covering events to come in 2000, and while the extent of fundamentalism and planetary destruction were more extreme than this space-time continuum, it was certainly eye-opening.

The first several chapters paint such realistic pictures of women who could really, actually exist: doctor, lawyer, scientist, and fascist-in-training. Then one returns to the women's meeting in college and how they became such a strong group and why.

Then you move through to the present and find out how their lives have changed, shifted, and been influenced most notably by a mysterious friend in their midst. The descriptions of feminism are central to the book and are basically women have the right to an education, a marriage of their choosing, and a career if they so choose." There are still twists to this plot, though, and the hints of what the patriarchy wishes to do are bone chilling.

The ending is a bit contrived, but the first 450 (or so) pages set their own stage; the ending is almost non-essential to this book, if that can be true. It's the story itself that is the strong point to this book." ( )
1 vote threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
A mysterious young woman draws together disparate fellow students to form a band of women that remains close for decades. But insidious forces of misogyny threaten each of them. Now older, less reckless, and without the guidance of their oddly wise friend, can they nevertheless draw together and create a more egalitarian future?

The villains and their plot are cartoonishly evil, but the heroes of the story are well-drawn and interesting. Whole plot threads are abruptly dropped. The dialog is naturalistic, but everything else is a little melodramatic. One's ability to enjoy this novel is probably predicated on one's ability to enjoy 2nd wave feminism crossed with magical lizard creatures. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Tiptree longlist 1996 ( )
  SChant | May 7, 2013 |
I love this book (and loved reading all the reviews before mine.) She is very anti-religion, pro-environment and very feminist... I have trouble with the latter. Every time I meet a male character who isn't a woman hater I feel like cheering. That's just her way though... So do your best to look past that and just enjoy some futuristic (well it was when it was written) social commentary. ( )
  BlueYolanda | Aug 15, 2009 |
Make sure you like Tepper's brand of feminism before you pick this up, it's about as subtle in this novel as a ton of bricks.

For my part, I was curious. Having heard a lot of "man-hating crap" comments about her The Gate to Women's Country, I read that and thought that it portrayed women as negatively as men and found it a reasonable read.

So, I tried this and found it not really to my taste. She can write well, but her opinions are a bit over the top from my (admittedly male) perspective. As another review I read once said, "It's understandable that women object to being walking wombs. Why, then, should men be walking sperm banks?"

I think I'll try to stick to her "environment-messaging" books and leave the "feminist-messaging" ones in the future. ( )
1 vote TadAD | May 24, 2008 |

Sheri S. Tepperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bodek, StuartCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Aunts had caught Carolyn, dragged her to the side of the boat, figuratively speaking, and were forcibly attempting to Crespinize her, while she, Carolyn, twisted on the hook in desperation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,194,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible