Untamed by Madeline Dyer

Untamed (edition 2015)

by Madeline Dyer (Author)

1021,299,385 (2.5)None
Member:Hellen0
Title:Untamed
Authors:Madeline Dyer (Author)
Info:Prizm (2015), 314 pages
Tags:to-read

Untamed by Madeline Dyer

2015 (1) ARC (2) ebook (1) fantasy (1) fiction (2) goodreads import (1) indie (1) netgalley (1) series (1) to-read (8) YA (1)

The storyline was what initially got my attention. It reminded me of Children of Blood and Bone but beyond that I had a hard time getting invested in this story. It's an interesting plot. Humanity is now enhanced with the help of a chemical substance that can make you more beautiful, smarter, stronger...basically perfect. Those few who have not been enhanced live in the wilds and are considered "untamed". The enhanced are on a mission to convert all those untamed to their way of life. That was what initially interested me but I kept wondering about where this took place, what was the time frame, what was "the turning" or what was up with the spirit world? None of these were fully answered. So I would have liked to have more world building to help me get more into the story. I may give the next book a try but we will just have to wait and see. ( )
  Verkruissen | Sep 27, 2018 |
Originally seen on
Emily Reads Everything

The premise of this book looked so good! There are two types of people Enhanced and Untamed and one woman is torn between them. I loved the ideas of augmenters. I also loved the idea that these two factions are at war, with the Enhanced thinking they are the saved people and the Untamed simply wanting to live their lives in peace. So I went into this book really wanting to like it and I just couldn’t. I just spent the whole book confused.

Everything in this book felt a little flat. The entire world seemed generically dystopian. The enhanced had fancy cities with all the amenities. The Untamed had dirt, dust, and mountains. The characters all had 1 identifying characteristic and confusing motivations. The untamed leader was unreasonably mean to the main character, Seven. The leader’s second in command ran so hot and cold with Seven that he might have been 2 different people. Seven’s confusing siblings who’s only identifier was that they all had numbers for names. The main character was the seventh kid. Get it? All this book left me with was questions and not in a good way Why was the world like that? Why did people start using Augmenters? How did the government work? Were there more Untamed than just this one group? I could go on and on.

Then the Augmenters… the augmenters are basically drugs that change a person’s eyes into mirrors and turn them into a drug addict. Every Enhanced person seemed benefited by the Augmenters, except Seven. They could run faster, jump farther, be prettier, do anything, as long as they kept taking their augmenters at least once a day. Seven, on the other hand, only seemed to become stoned when she took augmenters. They turned her into a compliant, suggestible drone that only wanted more augmenters. After being forced into taking them the first time, she spent the rest of the book craving them.

This book was a great concept that seemed poorly executed. I just didn’t like it very much. I’m rating it 2 stars because I thought the premise was great. Did you read it? What did you think? ( )
  emren | Feb 9, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,462,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible