Niki: The Story of a Dog by Tibor Dery

Niki: The Story of a Dog (1956)

by Tibor Dery

Moving, intelligent, artful. That's all I ask for in a book, and this modest little book delivers, marred only by some gently outdated attitudes. The descriptions of a dog's experience of life are insightful and wise, and the way peripheral way it addresses life in the age of the gulag is subtle, powerful. It has none of the heaviness of Solzhenitsyn but is somehow just weighty enough. Niki is just an ordinary dog - an every-dog - but we love her all the more for that. What a writer. I'll be checking out more of Dery's work and that of his contemporary, Sandor Marai. ( )
  patronus11 | Mar 31, 2013 |
The earliest dog story I've ever read, a la Marley and Me -- though I doubt it was THE first, I expect this genre is very old. This one is set against the backdrop of 1950s Communist Hungary -- the spectre of which grows ever more menacing as the story progresses. This book turned out to be a lot more interesting and thought-provoking than I thought it would be, and unlike most dog stories it's quite matter-of-fact and not at all sentimental. A person could read it for the "life in Communist Europe" aspect alone as well as for the dog part. ( )
  meggyweg | Feb 16, 2011 |

Tibor Deryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hyams, EdwardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szirtes, GeorgeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The Ancsas are a middle-aged couple living on the outskirts of Budapest in a ruinous Hungary that is just beginning to wake up from the nightmare of World War II. The new Communist government promises to set things straight, and Mr. Ancsa, an engineer, is as eager to get to work building the future as he is to forget the past.… (more)

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,494,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible